V4 Kraton Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before you start welding, the reason I said it shouldn't touch the towers, is the amount of damage that will follow. My original t2t was a 1' square aluminum tube that went from tower to tower. It also included a threaded rod that was secured at either end. This design is great at eliminating flex, but dam, how much those tower ears would bend in on either side of the tube. The attached photo shows a worst case scenario. The new Arrma t2t addresses this issue by going case to case and not t2t. It's just a little weak in my opinion. Because I have the Hot Racing chassis braces and they have holes that run the length, it allowed me to fasten the new tube direct to them, and lock it in place. They are being pulled down hard on the dif cases, as well as using the chassis braces to create rigidity. So far, accompanied by the amazing M2C chassis, this set up is proving to be a great one. The only bending in the towers now, comes from hitting them directly in flips and crashes. Can't wait to see what you come up with.
Oh man, that's some good carnage right there.

I agree with the V4 T2T brace being a better design connecting the diff cases. I think the rear anchor for it is also a drastic improvement over the V3, it meshes (cant think of a better word for it) with the rear diff case, and allows the chassis brace and T2T brace to transfer energy into the tower/diff case.

Why I keep breaking the brace end is that I've been landing on objects in the middle of the chassis, putting that brace into tension. Its not designed to take that kind of force. If I can stop landing on stuff, I think that brace will survive a little longer. Plus I think the new chassis will help a ton.

Its time for updates. I am sticking to the statement, what I buy for one Kraton, the other gets.
The V4 currently has some crusty bearings, a bent chassis, cracked rear control arm, and is in need of a full diff service. So I ordered just a few parts.

I would've just stuck with the Nero shock rod ends, but I have worn a couple of the plastic shock ARRMA shock balls so I decided to make an upgrade. I ordered the Tekno shock rod ends. Hoping to get rid of the homing missile to curbs and logs, I went with a M2C chassis. This thing is an absolute unit. It looks way too clean, I need to scratch the bottom up soon.

Nice new rear arms, rebuilt and re-shimmed diffs, new bearings. This should run like a champ when its all done (hope I don't wreck it first jump).

I think it should say Ultimate Kraton. Might have to fix that with a permanent marker.

Fancy new beefier Tekno rod ends.

And the stopping point. Its ready to receive the electronics, which aren't here yet. I took the hobbystar/hex 6 combo out and put it in my V3 Kraton with plans of doing a slightly different setup in this one.

I got tired of waiting for the new motor (shipping got delayed somewhere in the middle of the US) so I dropped the Hobbystar 4092 1480KV back in.

My new Hex6 (the shock piston under the fan motor) gets the privilege of riding in this Kraton. I ran through a warmup pack in the park behind my house, and no major issues. Spent the time setting up this ESC the same as my other Hex6. It feels like I haven't driven this truck in forever, but its only been a bit over a week. I forgot how wild it was.

Still love the mix of yellow, red, and black. Had to add the M2C Racing stickers. It adds like 10 HP.
With all the weight I've added the suspension is starting to feel soft. Might have to address that next.

Seriously liking this build. I've been running the Tekno locking shock rod ends and metal balls and I'll probably never go back to stock. Any reason your'e not going with the M2C motor mount? Are you trying to keep weight down??

Seriously liking this build. I've been running the Tekno locking shock rod ends and metal balls and I'll probably never go back to stock. Any reason your'e not going with the M2C motor mount? Are you trying to keep weight down??
Yea those Tekno ends look pretty stout. It'll also be nice not having to hunt for the spring whenever a rod end breaks off. I also found that I had worn the stock plastic balls down in size, which would cause a hammering effect on the rod end. So the metal balls in the Tekno ends are a worthwhile improvement.

As far as the Mount, It does look like a really nice piece and I would love to add it to both of my Kratons. But where both of my Kratons are sitting right now, I feel that $50 could be better used somewhere else. Like a beefier rear shock tower, metal diff cases, or addressing the now soft suspension. The stock sliding mount is doing its job, and I haven't had any issues with it. So its currently off my radar.

I think the rebuild of both Kratons, and this last wave of upgrades should last til the end of the year with just regular service. I do have a Typhon arriving on Monday, so my attention will be drawn away for a bit. Plus I need to keep working on another mad science project I haven't shown here yet.

I haven't been able to get much run time in lately of the Yellow Kraton. What time I have been running it, its been in low cut grass, and I have been doing some spring adjustments. I think I'm happy where its at now.

While doing the teardown of my V3 Kraton, I ended up finding one of my GPM chassis braces was damaged. Instead of ordering them again, I ordered a set of chassis braces from Voltage Hobbies. Man, these braces are no joke.

They are significantly beefier, and I do like the handwritten thank you note that comes with the order. Also, it came with stickers (huge plus in my book).

Today I got to put the first of many scratches onto this M2C chassis. I'm really looking forward to start pushing harder and harder on this setup to see how high and how far it will go. I'm almost done with a base for my ramps, so I can jump wherever I want.

Video of one of the runs today. Somehow didn't hit record early on, so I don't have an intro.

Yeah looks like it with sand! Nice...I am in Texas but have been there many times! :) BASH ON!!

How much more powerful is that Hobbywing to the stock Kraton motor?

How much more powerful is that Hobbywing to the stock Kraton motor?

Its a Hobbystar 4092 1480kv.
I really like it. I have it geared (20t) so its about the same top speed as the stock setup with the speed gear, but it has loads more torque. It works really good in smaller areas, since I don't have a huge amount of run up area for jumps. Plus this setup doesn't hit thermal even in grass.

I have the same motor, but 1730kv, that is lost in the mail somewhere for my red Kraton. It will be geared the same, but net a higher top speed. If that works out good, I'll drop a 22t pinion in this one.

I don't see much of a need to gear these really tall. You're just asking for tire problems if you gear too high. and I hate re gluing tires.

Its a Hobbystar 4092 1480kv.
I really like it. I have it geared (20t) so its about the same top speed as the stock setup with the speed gear, but it has loads more torque. It works really good in smaller areas, since I don't have a huge amount of run up area for jumps. Plus this setup doesn't hit thermal even in grass.

I have the same motor, but 1730kv, that is lost in the mail somewhere for my red Kraton. It will be geared the same, but net a higher top speed. If that works out good, I'll drop a 22t pinion in this one.

I don't see much of a need to gear these really tall. You're just asking for tire problems if you gear too high. and I hate re gluing tires.

Good to know thank you.

What ESC do you use? max 8??

I use the Hexfly Hex6 6s. Its a rebranded Hobbywing Max 6 that supports 3-6s and is $110 on ebay. The motor and ESC setup will run around $200 when all is said and done.
Aside from it eating through fans due to what I think is a poor heat sink design, its been awesome.

I'd love to compare it to a Max8 combo, or a castle setup.

Well, this guy just kind of happened quick.
I wanted a second truck to bash while my V3 Kraton was cooling down so it could be non stop fun. I was on the fence about getting a Typhon (still may get one) or an Outcast, but I saw someone parting out the major components of a V4 Kraton. So I picked up this unrun, never scratched V4 Kraton slider.

I had a clear body for my V3 that I had wanted to come up with a somewhat loud paint job, so it became the new body for this V4. Two coats of transparent yellow backed with a metallic silver gives it a candy style paint job. Pictures don't really do the paint justice, it looks awesome in the sunlight. I swapped over V3 body mounts (hey, no clear V4 bodies yet). Since I have had great success with the Backflip tires I ordered a set for this Kraton (they really do transform the truck, at least over the V3 tires).
View attachment 38323

For electronics, I wanted something more than stock. I wanted this to be overkill. After hearing about the Hobbystar 4092/Hexfly Hex 6 combination, I had to have it. I went with the 1480Kv and 20 tooth pinion. I did the math in Excel and it should be right around the same top speed as the stock speed pinion setup, but run cooler, and with the extra torque of this motor it should be a rocketship out of the hole. Steering is performed by my trusted and cheap $17 amazon 20kg steering servo special. All tied to a Futaba radio.

View attachment 38330

After a bad crash with my V3 Kraton that folded and twisted the original chassis, I ordered GPM chassis braces and a metal servo mount for both. I'm a sucker for the price of their stuff. I order double of any Kraton upgrades to keep the durability of my V3 and V4 on par. All diffs were torn down, shimmed, and filled with 80k/200k/30k (front to rear) oils.

View attachment 38331

First test run on 4s worked out great. Spent some time dialing in the settings on the ESC to making sure everything was to my liking in my backyard. Felt like it had a ton more torque than the stock setup. With this one it also felt like my back yard got smaller, I had to get on the brakes a lot sooner before smashing into my fence. After hitting LVC, I checked everything over to make sure no screws backed out and prepared for the weekend.

I usually bash early on the weekends. I'll charge up every pack I own, make an entire pot of coffee, and head out before the sun is up. I'll turn up the music on my bluetooth speaker, sip some coffee, and launch RC cars in the air. Its therapy.

View attachment 38333

This setup is a home run. The gearing feels perfect, it is in fact a rocketship off the line if you can keep the wheels down. You don't have to be going that fast as your approaching a jump, just stand on the throttle when its at the base of the jump and it really does just launch into the air.

View attachment 38335

This truck just eats the jumps up. So much that It should be reclassified as an airplane. It flies really well, control in the air awesome with the extra torque from that 4092, and steering is great with the voltage turned up to the budget servo. 3 6S batteries through this thing on the first outing and zero problems. Jump after jump, it kept coming back for more. I was easily clearing 15ft of air, occasionally standing underneath its flight path.

Like throwing a ball with a Labrador, it came back with its tail wagging, begging for you to do it again.
View attachment 38337

Sick build man. I just starred mine this week. Super excited. Bash on ??

Attachments

• 30377.jpeg
    30377.jpeg
    52.1 KB · Views: 34
I haven't been able to get much run time in lately of the Yellow Kraton. What time I have been running it, its been in low cut grass, and I have been doing some spring adjustments. I think I'm happy where its at now.

While doing the teardown of my V3 Kraton, I ended up finding one of my GPM chassis braces was damaged. Instead of ordering them again, I ordered a set of chassis braces from Voltage Hobbies. Man, these braces are no joke.
View attachment 40759

They are significantly beefier, and I do like the handwritten thank you note that comes with the order. Also, it came with stickers (huge plus in my book).
View attachment 40760

Today I got to put the first of many scratches onto this M2C chassis. I'm really looking forward to start pushing harder and harder on this setup to see how high and how far it will go. I'm almost done with a base for my ramps, so I can jump wherever I want.

Video of one of the runs today. Somehow didn't hit record early on, so I don't have an intro.
Hahaha... awesome vid... love how relaxed you are every time you put it in the tree!.. made me laugh!..

Next thing you need to invest in if you keep going to that spot.... a good chainsaw!..

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back