Kraton V4 Kraton diff shimming

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobdog216

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I have a v4, and I know that I need to shim it's diffs. I have no experience whatsoever, and I don't know where to start. Any help would b greatly appreciated

Google shiming diffs and looks for rich duperbash. Or what ever one u like. It's really not that hard once you do it few times really not has difficult as it looks.

How do I know what needs shimming? Inside vs outside. Is in the videos

i haven't had to add more than the one shim behind the 4 inner gears, i push and pull on the drive cups and if they move at all i put an extra shim under the pin inside the cup. Make sure there is still a shim on the outside of the bearings on the sides too. As far as the pinion goes on the case itself i see if there is any movement and try to keep it solid so it can't move in and out any. If you have any issues there which i haven't except when i ran 8s you can add a shim behind the inner bearing on the diff case. Those shims are a little tougher to find.

I went through 3 diff sets before getting everything good. I shimmed the outside of the bearing for the ring gear. Also I shimmed the pinion between that and the bearing to push it into the ring gear further. Ever since then I have not had a problem with the gears braking apart. I have done nothing with the spider gears inside the diff case because I have not had a problem with them yet.

Yep thats why it comes with extras
From a newbie standpoint, I’m not looking forward to this task. Hopefully some thorough videos on YouTube.

Also, prior to running my sons Big Rock, I spent time adjusting the motor/pinion mesh and used loctite on any metal to metal screws. Is it also recommended to do the same for the Kraton? Should I loctite and check the mesh prior to running?

From a newbie standpoint, I’m not looking forward to this task. Hopefully some thorough videos on YouTube.

Also, prior to running my sons Big Rock, I spent time adjusting the motor/pinion mesh and used loctite on any metal to metal screws. Is it also recommended to do the same for the Kraton? Should I loctite and check the mesh prior to running?
I always do but it’s a personal choice. I like the piece of mind that the rig is going to run the way I want. There are always going to be things that go wrong, but preventing as many as I can out of the box I will try my best.

I always do but it’s a personal choice. I like the piece of mind that the rig is going to run the way I want. There are always going to be things that go wrong, but preventing as many as I can out of the box I will try my best.
My thinking exactly! This Kraton is a different beast compared to the big rock. It seems, how do I say this, more involved. More moving parts.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back