Kraton V5 Kraton vs EXB Kraton

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rudedogg79

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
I am wanting to purchase my first Kraton and would like some advise on the difference between the two kratons and what you guys recommend. Money is a deciding factor also.

I am wanting to purchase my first Kraton and would like some advise on the difference between the two kratons and what you guys recommend. Money is a deciding factor also.
If money is a deciding factor, get the RTR. It's great out of the box.

For most people, the RTR is all they need. The major advantage of the EXB is that you can decide which electronics you want to put in it. But keep in mind doing this will always cost more than an RTR vehicle because the RTR vehicles don't always use quality components because they need to meet a price point.

Imho the rtr models should be avoided as the electronics are just pathetic. All of the 7075 parts and the diffs alone are well worth the price difference going with the EXB over the rtr.

I look at it like this you buy the rtr, you still need to buy aluminum chassis braces, a chassis, shock towers, servo mount, front bumper, servo, esc, motor and diffs. You buy the EXB and you just need electronics.

The rtr looks like a great deal until you actually break things down and compare what you will need to upgrade down the road. Upfront cost might be less but long term you will spend a lot more on the rtr.

If the Exb was available when I bought my V4 I would of gone Exb.
So far I’ve had to replace all the electronics in under the first year. Plus upgrade other components

Imho the rtr models should be avoided as the electronics are just pathetic. All of the 7075 parts and the diffs alone are well worth the price difference going with the EXB over the rtr.

I look at it like this you buy the rtr, you still need to buy aluminum chassis braces, a chassis, shock towers, servo mount, front bumper, servo, esc, motor and diffs. You buy the EXB and you just need electronics.

The rtr looks like a great deal until you actually break things down and compare what you will need to upgrade down the road. Upfront cost might be less but long term you will spend a lot more on the rtr.
If I were to get EXB, can you guide me as to what quality/ economic components list to purchase?I am still somewhat new to RC. I've had a granite 3S for a while but haven't worked on it a lot. I don't need the fastest car in the world, but comparable to RTR.
Thanks in advance!
[email protected]

If I were to get EXB, can you guide me as to what quality/ economic components list to purchase?I am still somewhat new to RC. I've had a granite 3S for a while but haven't worked on it a lot. I don't need the fastest car in the world, but comparable to RTR.
Thanks in advance!
[email protected]
started out with the grante as well I got the exb for the upgraded parts I love to send it normally don't send it to the moon so I thought the exb would hold up for me so far so good

I totally agree that overall upgrading an RTR might cost more in the long run, but the RTR will at least get you entry into the sport if you are on a budget. With an RTR you don't have to upgrade everything at once: you can upgrade individual parts as you see fit. Some folks are perfectly fine running a RC vehicle without all the bells and whistles: they might be casual users who don't see the value of investing a lot of money into an RC vehicle.

Can you
started out with the grante as well I got the exb for the upgraded parts I love to send it normally don't send it to the moon so I thought the exb would hold up for me so far so good
send me your parts list? Not sure what to purchase if I were to get the EXB.

EXB all the way. I'm still building mine but after having the 8s blx there's no way but EXB, the differences are worth it.

If the Exb was available when I bought my V4 I would of gone Exb.
So far I’ve had to replace all the electronics in under the first year. Plus upgrade other components
If willing to deal with HH, they will replace all the electrics within the first 2 years warranty period. For free.
I just feel that RTR basic Firma electrics are mundane and can be a nuisance to constantly replace even if free under warranty.. If new to this hobby, the RTR and the 2 year warranty may be the better choice. Depends how you approach this. EXB roller will be more money up front. A RTR will be more $$$ in the long term. Because you will definitely be upgrading many other $parts$ as they break as you go.
Both have their pros and cons. This can be subjective to each person.
As @slick2500 stated, the EXB roller probably has way more bang for the buck. This is based on those who have been running Arrma 6s rigs for quite some while now. Myself included.

If willing to deal with HH, they will replace all the electrics within the first 2 years warranty period. For free.
I just feel that RTR basic Firma electrics are mundane and can be a nuisance to constantly replace even if free under warranty.. If new to this hobby, the RTR and the 2 year warranty may be the better choice. Depends how you approach this. EXB roller will be more money up front. A RTR will be more $$$ in the long term. Because you will definitely be upgrading many other $parts$ as they break as you go.
Both have their pros and cons. This can be subjective to each person.
As @slick2500 stated, the EXB roller probably has way more bang for the buck. This is based on those who have been running Arrma 6s rigs for quite some while now. Myself included.
agree if I have to upgrade motor and esc will go different route next time
I like the times when budget is no option but thats not always possible

Last edited:

I vote RTR if your money is tight and 2yr warranty for any breaks. You sound new to the hobby so asking what others put in the 6S EXB rig which is a roller is specific for them. There are a few ways to build an EXB and one size does not fit all. You can watch a ton of videos and get recommendations and still not fit your bash style....or understand how that combination will work once you run it.

1. How do you bash...you a sent it a person or not, like to see dirt fly, just excited with the rush of it all
2. Location you bash...dirt, rocks, gravel, street
etc., etc.

I have a Kraton EXB after two years of 3S rigs...but I had a feeling of where and how I bashed and what I wanted to do with a 6S rig. Size of motor, pinion, diff fluids, etc. all come into deeper play when you build an EXB.

I have an EXB but my brother I would NOT let buy an EXB I pushed him to the RTR. He is happy and has not broken anything and has way more than he needs... I've worked on every part of the RC over the past two years on 3S so felt very comfortable going to an EXB and could understand the knowledge the vets tell me to do to make changes....most at a cost with an EXB. Could be some with RTR but give yourself room to learn and grow.

Just sharing your call... (y)

if you get the motor from jenny rc in the link above you wont need the heat sink from amazon this what I did for my kraton exb 6s and where I bought from
I vote RTR if your money is tight and 2yr warranty for any breaks. You sound new to the hobby so asking what others put in the 6S EXB rig which is a roller is specific for them. There are a few ways to build an EXB and one size does not fit all. You can watch a ton of videos and get recommendations and still not fit your bash style....or understand how that combination will work once you run it.

1. How do you bash...you a sent it a person or not, like to see dirt fly, just excited with the rush of it all
2. Location you bash...dirt, rocks, gravel, street
etc., etc.

I have a Kraton EXB after two years of 3S rigs...but I had a feeling of where and how I bashed and what I wanted to do with a 6S rig. Size of motor, pinion, diff fluids, etc. all come into deeper play when you build an EXB.

I have an EXB but my brother I would NOT let buy an EXB I pushed him to the RTR. He is happy and has not broken anything and has way more than he needs... I've worked on every part of the RC over the past two years on 3S so felt very comfortable going to an EXB and could understand the knowledge the vets tell me to do to make changes....most at a cost with an EXB. Could be some with RTR but give yourself room to learn and grow.

Just sharing your call... (y)
1000% agree
thanks parcou
working on my granite v3 is what gave me the confidence to build my kraton exb

Whatever works for you.
Remember that the discounted kitbreaker,take parts, JennysRC stuff has NO Arrma warranty. Zero. JennysRC might replace some stuff. Only if DOA upon delivery. But they don't have to. Don't expect it. A chance you take going budget with Take-Off Firma, supposedly "Smart", stuff.
Buying twice in many cases.

This radio is leaps and bounds way better than the DX3 IMHO. Same price. Blows away the DX3, hands down.

https://www.amazon.com/Radiolink-2-...hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584001423970483&psc=1

EXB vs RTR - Think on your Granite -

Do you break it every run? Have you done tons of upgrades to it trying to make it reliable?

OR-

Has it been mostly reliable out of the box?

If you break your Granite a lot, then get the EXB.

If you are mostly happy with the durability of the Granite, then get the RTR.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back