Kraton V5 Motor Heatsink/Fan

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crashngo

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
What's up everyone,

I have a V5 Kraton running on 6s. The motor is getting too hot for my liking. Unfortunately, I cannot find my ir temp gun so I cannot provide exact numbers (I have another coming it should be here tomorrow). I am looking into motor fans and heatsinks. I have a couple of questions.

The yeah racing/power hobby dual fan setup seems to be one of the better options. From what I am reading it seems like the fans they come with aren't so good. There are a some aluminum bodied 30mm fans that have a higher max rpm that seem like the way to go. Is there a better dual fan setup than the yeah racing? I know that the stock motor is slightly smaller than the yeah racing heatsink but I was planning to use some thermal pads anyway to aid with heat transfer .

The second question I have is how necessary the heatsink really is. Would dual 40mm fans mounted without a heatsink do a better job at cooling? Doing some research on this topic there seems to be some debate as to whether or not these small heatsinks do much. In threads I've read on this and other forums there are some that say that the motor can itself enough of a heatsink and that airflow is all that's needed. However the stock V5 motor is smooth, does that only apply to finned/ribbed motors?

Thanks,
Crash

I think the best route is NO Heatsink at all. Use a fan mount on the motor for a high speed 40mm alu. fan directly toward the motor. Depending on the diameter of the motor there are many fan mounts out there. Exotek and others make them. Use 2 fans if you are creative enough. The Motor is a HS by itself. HS are not all that IMHO. They just retain heat and cooling thermal transfer is much slower no matter the type/size of fan. Just me.
You can always just add this 40mm alu. fan to your existing HS first to see if heat is still an issue. But no HS I think is best from my observations. Been there. Yeah, you really need a Temp gun to evaluate the setup and see what works best. A motor should not get higher than 150F. You just can't tell by touching with your fingers.:(

I use these alum fans. They work great on standard BEC volts. Get simple fan grilles for them. The best are the ones below. Simple not fancy, but they don't restrict any air flow.

https://www.amazon.com/Motor-Coolin...words=40mm+aluminum+fan&qid=1641412784&sr=8-4

https://www.amazon.com/40mm-Black-Finger-Grill-Guard/dp/B01MA54A8Z/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1U2H63KTNNNFU&keywords=40mm+fan+grille&qid=1641413013&sprefix=40mm+fan+grilles,aps,59&sr=8-3

20220105_151701.jpg

20220105_151642.jpg

Last edited:
Even a small heatsink will be better than no heatsink if you have good thermal conductivity between the motor and heatsink which you will get using thermal pads. From what I've read most aftermarket heatsinks fit the stock V5 motor poorly and with a layer of insulating air between the can and heatsink it will probably be worse than a fan blowing directly on the can. I have the Arrma heatsink and it's a tight fit and definitely keeps temps down even if I run without a fan or any thermal interface material. For the stock motor I'd definitely recommend it, although it can only fit one 35mm fan which might be an issue if you plan to run the truck very hard.

Another thing you can do if the motor is running hot is lower the timing. The ESC comes programmed with the motor timing at 22.5° which is pretty high for general bashing. I lowered mine to 15° and it runs significantly cooler with no noticeable loss of performance.

I'm in the same boat, learning as I go with the Kraton 6s. I checked my motor temps after some ripping around in what I'd consider cool weather (60°F) and the motor measured around 150° F after not very long on 75% Tx speed setting. I upped it to 100% and just a few rips, say 3-4 minutes and rechecked temps and they were almost 180° F.

It gets 90°F + here in the summer so I know I'm gonna need to do something.

Sounds like I should try dropping the timing first? I don't know anything about that, any starting point or things to look for to know it's "right" or "wrong" besides temps and performance?

If that doesn't work is this the fan/heat sink most recommend: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZPNJQ6T

Last edited:
Worst that can happen from lowering timing as far as I understand is reduced performance. Timing changes the shape of the power vs RPM curve with lower timing generating maximum power at lower RPM and higher timing generating maximum power at higher RPM. I don't think it can lead to any damage if you stay within a reasonable range.

So I am going to order the yeah racing heatsink without fans and then add those metal bodied fans. I think a dual fan setup would be better than a single. But I have a quick question about changing the timing. Does that require a tuning card of some sort or can it be done with a series of button presses?

I've got this hot racing one hooked up to a separate small 850mah 3s lipo(with help from here) and it's pretty strong. Don't know about the durability since it's recently installed.
PXL_20220107_033017659.jpg

I think the best route is NO Heatsink at all. Use a fan mount on the motor for a high speed 40mm alu. fan directly toward the motor. Depending on the diameter of the motor there are many fan mounts out there. Exotek and others make them. Use 2 fans if you are creative enough. The Motor is a HS by itself. HS are not all that IMHO. They just retain heat and cooling thermal transfer is much slower no matter the type/size of fan. Just me.
You can always just add this 40mm alu. fan to your existing HS first to see if heat is still an issue. But no HS I think is best from my observations. Been there. Yeah, you really need a Temp gun to evaluate the setup and see what works best. A motor should not get higher than 150F. You just can't tell by touching with your fingers.:(

I use these alum fans. They work great on standard BEC volts. Get simple fan grilles for them. The best are the ones below. Simple not fancy, but they don't restrict any air flow.

https://www.amazon.com/Motor-Coolin...words=40mm+aluminum+fan&qid=1641412784&sr=8-4

https://www.amazon.com/40mm-Black-Finger-Grill-Guard/dp/B01MA54A8Z/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1U2H63KTNNNFU&keywords=40mm+fan+grille&qid=1641413013&sprefix=40mm+fan+grilles,aps,59&sr=8-3

View attachment 190592

View attachment 190593
I use the same on my Typhon, they're awesome and don't sound like a Turbo, I might go a different route on the Kraton, but sticking with the same fans, but 2 of them.

I use the same on my Typhon, they're awesome and don't sound like a Turbo, I might go a different route on the Kraton, but sticking with the same fans, but 2 of them.

View attachment 190592

View attachment 190593
So that is two for and two against heatsinks I am now the heatsink. I was doing a bit more research and some are saying that if the motor is ribbed than a heatsink is unnecessary. Since that stock spectrum BY motor can is smooth will that worsen a fans effectiveness
Even a small heatsink will be better than no heatsink if you have good thermal conductivity between the motor and heatsink which you will get using thermal pads. From what I've read most aftermarket heatsinks fit the stock V5 motor poorly and with a layer of insulating air between the can and heatsink it will probably be worse than a fan blowing directly on the can. I have the Arrma heatsink and it's a tight fit and definitely keeps temps down even if I run without a fan or any thermal interface material. For the stock motor I'd definitely recommend it, although it can only fit one 35mm fan which might be an issue if you plan to run the truck very hard.

Another thing you can do if the motor is running hot is lower the timing. The ESC comes programmed with the motor timing at 22.5° which is pretty high for general bashing. I lowered mine to 15° and it runs significantly cooler with no noticeable loss of performance.

I've got this hot racing one hooked up to a separate small 850mah 3s lipo(with help from here) and it's pretty strong. Don't know about the durability since it's recently installed.View attachment 190875

Ribbed or Smooth, a motor's alloy Can is a HS by design. A HS seems more convenient if it is in place already. The can ribbing does not do much. Air blowing directy to the motor works to cool much faster. A HS just adds more mass for thermal transfer. Requires a better fan to cool then the same as a motor without a HS. That's one reason track guys don't run a HS. Just fans. Running 15 min heats.
I mix it up across my rigs. Most of mine just have a fan mount now and one or 2 HS 30mm or 40mm fans. And they run coolest as it turns out. Temp gun in hand. One by one I have been converting to removing the HS altogether. Fans only.
Many guys love the HS. It is now pretty much stock on many Arrma rigs now. Some with fans, some without. So it becomes easy to plop a fan on top of it.
I had a bin full of HS's here unused. I just gave them away to my RC buddy to play with. He thought they were gold.
We all RC differently.
:cool:

Last edited:
So that is two for and two against heatsinks I am now the heatsink. I was doing a bit more research and some are saying that if the motor is ribbed than a heatsink is unnecessary. Since that stock spectrum BY motor can is smooth will that worsen a fans effectiveness

Ribbed motor will also reduce the effectiveness of a heatsink since it will limit the contact surface area and trap pockets of stagnant air next to the motor. If you had a ribbed motor I would speculate that a fan only set up would cool better, but with the smooth V5 motor in good contact with the heatsink you will be adding more thermal mass (more heat energy required to raise the temperature of the whole mass, therefore lower temperature for a given amount of heat) and adding a lot more surface area for the air blown by the fan to contact and absorb heat. I hope this makes sense. A good thermal connection between the motor and heatsink is key.

If you really want to go extreme then put some liquid metal paste under your heatsink to evenly cool what's below just like a PC's CPU or GPU.
I applied it under my heatsink on the CPU and GPU on my Rig you gain about -5-15 Celsius then without.
my Temps never go over 55 degrees Celsius under full load while gaming or on the processor.
but thats really crazy to do on a RC.
That's the PC

20220107_011936.jpg

20220101_115754.jpg
5.jpg

Yeah, that stuff is really effective compared to regular thermal paste. I was going to use some thermal paste under my motor heatsink but got lazy. Maybe next time I take it apart. No liquid metal though, lol.
Honestly I wouldn't know how to make it stick on radius surface :LOL::LOL:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back