Kraton V5 Motor Heatsink/Fan

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very fine Silver HS compound is usually best. (Arctic Silver) Most thermally conductive. Best for CPU's This stuff is expensive per oz and messy. Don't need much at all on a motor. It works, I've used it before on a motor HS, temps transfer quicker from Can to HS.
I build PCs' also.
Without a HS works for me with a good 40mm fan.
Many HS don't fit too well. Poor surface contact area. Losing thermal transfer. Increasing heat that remains contained in the motor.

Last edited:
Yeah I know about liquid metal as well. Unfortunately, most of the dual fan heatsinks do not fit the V5 motor can tightly. That is why I plan on using thermal pads to kill two birds with one stone, tightening up the fit of the heatsink and aiding heat transfer.

It says "clip on heat sink" so no retainers or anything?

Not sure if this is pertinent, but I found my ESC fan collecting a lot of debris so I put some window screen repair on it. This "repair" came in a package with 7 squares about 1.5" in size and aluminum allowing it to be shaped a bit. It has worked great on the ESC and might be an option for motor fans as well.

1641575887132.png

It says "clip on heat sink" so no retainers or anything?

Not sure if this is pertinent, but I found my ESC fan collecting a lot of debris so I put some window screen repair on it. This "repair" came in a package with 7 squares about 1.5" in size and aluminum allowing it to be shaped a bit. It has worked great on the ESC and might be an option for motor fans as well.

View attachment 190963
Man that is a great idea. Thanks!

I went digging through my old parts box from PC building days and found a 40mm x 40mm x 20mm fan I thought I could mount direct to the motor to do a test. It's a 12V 1.6W fan and I think the output from the ESC is 7.2V? Not sure if the fan will just run at a slower RPM or not at all, but worth a test I guess.

I went digging through my old parts box from PC building days and found a 40mm x 40mm x 20mm fan I thought I could mount direct to the motor to do a test. It's a 12V 1.6W fan and I think the output from the ESC is 7.2V? Not sure if the fan will just run at a slower RPM or not at all, but worth a test I guess.
Yeah it would spin at a lower speed but shouldn't hurt anything. Let me know how that goes. I am still debating whether just to run dual fans or get a heatsink and fans. It really seems like most heatsinks are merely a fan mount with extra metal to make it look beefy.

Tested, and it does work. After initial test, soldered on a proper connection for the fan port at the ESC and got it zip tied to the motor. It got dark so couldn't test tonight but will tomorrow and will run it with the fan off for a few rips and check with my temp gun, then a few rips with the fan on and see how much difference there is.

I looked and this fan on 12V is about 11CFM so a bit less at 7.4V but it does blow pretty decent.

Last edited:
Ran some tests tonight. Ambient air temp was about 54°F and I ran the vehicle hard back and forth up and down my street and through the grass at WOT several times. Did it with the fan off and the max temp my temp gun recorded was 126° F at the rear of the motor where it's normally the hottest.

Then I ran it doing the same thing over and over with the fan ON until the packs went flat. Temp stayed exactly the same. So it never got any hotter when normally by now I'd be seeing 150 to 160°F based on past experience. This was with a fan I found zip tied straight to the motor. I'm going to run this for now and want to do more testing but so far looks like about a 25 to 30° temp drop. Does that seem normal for most fan installs?

The ambient air being 54°F certainly helped though I'm sure.

Spacing the fan away from the motor 1/4" or so would likely greatly increase the cooling capacity but I don't see an easy way to do that. A nice fan mount may be the way to go.

motorfan2.jpg

Spacing the fan away from the motor 1/4" or so would likely greatly increase the cooling capacity but I don't see an easy way to do that. A nice fan mount may be the way to go.

View attachment 192331
I use a Powerhobby 40mm fan and mount on my Kraton 6s. The mount spaces the fan about 1/4" away from the motor, and there is a lot of air flow around the motor with this mount. All I need is a fan guard to complete the installation.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334166019548?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Powerhobby Motor Fan.jpg

What's up everyone,

I have a V5 Kraton running on 6s. The motor is getting too hot for my liking. Unfortunately, I cannot find my ir temp gun so I cannot provide exact numbers (I have another coming it should be here tomorrow). I am looking into motor fans and heatsinks. I have a couple of questions.

The yeah racing/power hobby dual fan setup seems to be one of the better options. From what I am reading it seems like the fans they come with aren't so good. There are a some aluminum bodied 30mm fans that have a higher max rpm that seem like the way to go. Is there a better dual fan setup than the yeah racing? I know that the stock motor is slightly smaller than the yeah racing heatsink but I was planning to use some thermal pads anyway to aid with heat transfer .

The second question I have is how necessary the heatsink really is. Would dual 40mm fans mounted without a heatsink do a better job at cooling? Doing some research on this topic there seems to be some debate as to whether or not these small heatsinks do much. In threads I've read on this and other forums there are some that say that the motor can itself enough of a heatsink and that airflow is all that's needed. However the stock V5 motor is smooth, does that only apply to finned/ribbed motors?

Thanks,
Crash
I installed the Powerhobby heatsink with dual fans and I could tell the difference. The motors can get really hot, especially with 6S batteries.

Make sure bend sink to maximize the touching surface.

tempImagetKNuQh.png

tempImageAKK6AT.png

tempImageNX2O0U.png

Last edited:
Ran some tests tonight. Ambient air temp was about 54°F and I ran the vehicle hard back and forth up and down my street and through the grass at WOT several times. Did it with the fan off and the max temp my temp gun recorded was 126° F at the rear of the motor where it's normally the hottest.

Then I ran it doing the same thing over and over with the fan ON until the packs went flat. Temp stayed exactly the same. So it never got any hotter when normally by now I'd be seeing 150 to 160°F based on past experience. This was with a fan I found zip tied straight to the motor. I'm going to run this for now and want to do more testing but so far looks like about a 25 to 30° temp drop. Does that seem normal for most fan installs?

The ambient air being 54°F certainly helped though I'm sure.

View attachment 192331
Yeah I think without any HS is best. IMHO. Using a fan mount or whatever will work.

I use a Powerhobby 40mm fan and mount on my Kraton 6s. The mount spaces the fan about 1/4" away from the motor, and there is a lot of air flow around the motor with this mount. All I need is a fan guard to complete the installation.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334166019548?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

View attachment 192333
Would it be possible to mount two of these like 90 degrees apart? It's hard to tell from the pictures how much room it requires and how much is left after one is mounted.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back