Typhon V5 Typhon really hot with stock gearing...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian770

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
My new v5 Typhon’s motor gets really hot on 6s with the stock gearing. Is it perhaps too tight of a gear mesh or should I install the bigger pinion when running 6s?

89C is already 192F, you should not go above 170F (~75C) or your motor will die. The epoxy will break down and it kills a motor quickly.
In grass, watch your temps and measure every 5 min to get a feel for it.
My guess, your motor is already cooked and will break over the next 5 packs. Count yourself lucky if it does not but you won't make it through the season.
I found out the hard way as well.
I believe the epoxy itself is rated at 200F but keep in mind that you are measuring external and internal is always ~20F warmer.

89C is already 192F, you should not go above 170F (~75C) or your motor will die. The epoxy will break down and it kills a motor quickly.
In grass, watch your temps and measure every 5 min to get a feel for it.
My guess, your motor is already cooked and will break over the next 5 packs. Count yourself lucky if it does not but you won't make it through the season.
I found out the hard way as well.
I believe the epoxy itself is rated at 200F but keep in mind that you are measuring external and internal is always ~20F warmer.
Thanks, great advice. It has probably been getting to similar temps since I got it so I'll budget for new motor. I fried a 540 brushed motor recently too but they are cheap to replace.

My new v5 Typhon’s motor gets really hot on 6s with the stock gearing. Is it perhaps too tight of a gear mesh or should I install the bigger pinion when running 6s?

What terrain are you running on?

Definitely check your gear mesh. If your motor is getting too hot you need a smaller pinion, not a larger one.

Back