Kraton V5 vs. EXB diffs...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JHB

Military Veteran
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
I've decided I'd like to have a complete spare set of diffs on the shelf, so I'm putting a JennysRC order together since I've got a little OT money to burn. As many of you know, they've got V5 diffs, EXB LSD diffs, and EXB open diffs available.
The little bit of reading I've done on the EXB LSD diffs has been enough to make me decide that I simply don't feel like messing around with the LSD. This seems to negate most of the reason for upgrading an older Kraton to EXB diffs. However... the EXB's beefier ring gear appeals to my desire for durability.

Anyone feel the complete EXB open diff set is worth the $16 "upgrade" cost over the complete V5 diff set? If so, why?
Same question for the center diff - the EXB center diff (which I know is LSD from Jennys) is a $13 "upgrade" cost over the V5 center diff. Is it worth it? If so, why?

V3 Kraton, stock electronics on 4S, guided by a crappy driver on everything from asphalt to grass to hardpack dirt to gravel.

I've decided I'd like to have a complete spare set of diffs on the shelf, so I'm putting a JennysRC order together since I've got a little OT money to burn. As many of you know, they've got V5 diffs, EXB LSD diffs, and EXB open diffs available.
The little bit of reading I've done on the EXB LSD diffs has been enough to make me decide that I simply don't feel like messing around with the LSD. This seems to negate most of the reason for upgrading an older Kraton to EXB diffs. However... the EXB's beefier ring gear appeals to my desire for durability.

Anyone feel the complete EXB open diff set is worth the $16 "upgrade" cost over the complete V5 diff set? If so, why?
Same question for the center diff - the EXB center diff (which I know is LSD from Jennys) is a $13 "upgrade" cost over the V5 center diff. Is it worth it? If so, why?

V3 Kraton, stock electronics on 4S, guided by a crappy driver on everything from asphalt to grass to hardpack dirt to gravel.
The v4 stuff has never let me down, so i'd bet the v5's will be fine. Just check to see if they need to be shimmed up or anything. I've ran the v4 stuff on 8s too with belted 3.8 badlands and it has been ok once i shimmed them up well.

V5 diffs seem strong enough, especially for 4s. I bought some spares from JRC and have yet to need them. EXB stuff is definitely stronger by design though and a better option if money isn't a concern, so I guess it depends on how much cash you have to part with.

Just for the more stout main and input gears alone, EXB's are a plus. I too have considered the EXB's, but only running all 3 in Open configuration. I like to dial in my diffs by changing to different weights. From habit. I don't feel like messing with LSD staging. Just complicates it for me.

I like the EXB diffs. If you want to run them open, you need to convert them to open. Don't think you can purchase any already open with no LSD plates.

I have 2 trucks running all 3 EXB diffs full open on both. Works great.

The EXB diffs have heavier duty components. The pins are bigger, the cups/shafts are bigger. I think it’s worth the upgrade

I like the EXB diffs. If you want to run them open, you need to convert them to open. Don't think you can purchase any already open with no LSD plates.

I have 2 trucks running all 3 EXB diffs full open on both. Works great.
https://www.arrma-rc.com/part/ARA311066

^^^These are configured Open. Prebuilt.

The Open Shim kit conversion is also available if you already have the LSD diffs.

Last edited:
It is allowed to jump into a thread with my For Sale? I moved over to EXB diffs (all three) for my Keaton 6S, and have massive massive spare parts library for the regular BLX diffs that I’m looking to move. Pls msg me if interested.

It is allowed to jump into a thread with my For Sale? I moved over to EXB diffs (all three) for my Keaton 6S, and have massive massive spare parts library for the regular BLX diffs that I’m looking to move. Pls msg me if interested.
pm sent

Interesting. But....don't think jennysrc sells them as the OP was wanting?
Their page says open (rear) diff assembly, but the breakdown mentions LSD parts. Hard to tell what's what now that I've looked closer.

And of course, I waited too long and they're sold out.

This will fit the Kraton v5? Does the EXB roller version have superior parts over the V5 BLX? If so, what parts are worth upgrading to?
Yes it will fit any 6s rigs with spiral cut gears. Typhon and a few others have straight cut - just need to make sure you have a spiral cut input gear. Will work on all Kraton 6s models.

Diffs alone are worth the EXB version. Shock towers, chassis and a few other items are better also. Depends on how big you send the rig. The EXB chassis and towers are fine for me.

@SrC are the EXB diffs better than the stock Kraton BLX 6s V5? Are they a direct fit on the Kraton V5? If so, does it require any other parts for the conversion?

Also, does your link include all three diffs, front, center and rear?
I feel they are much better.
They are a direct fit. Nothing else needed.

That link is for a front or rear. That is one diff. Center has the spur gear, not the main ring gear.

Last edited:
No . They are all LSD now, F/C/R's. Arrma's early released EXB LSD Rear diffs were an attempt at being OPEN GP4's, but failed miserably. They bricked quickly out the box. People were pulling their hair out with their new EXB rollers. There was no Arrma fix for quite a while. HH would just send out the same LSD diffs under warranty. They would fail the same way. Many guys were using their own shim techniques trying. Others just opted with throwing in a standard 6s Open diff at the rear, the quick solution. So Arrma made the Rear diff also an LSD, subsequently going forward with all the EXB rigs.. Just Dialed/"Staged" for the rear. Less diff resistance.
Open at the rear alone makes more sense to me if anything. Being what Arrma's original intention was. And now it is an Option Part.
One could always just buy the "Open Shim kit" below, as well, for the rear LSD diffs' of their new EXB's/rollers. The cheaper alternative.

https://www.arrma-rc.com/en/product/diff-shim-set-fits-29mm-diff-case-3-diffs/ARA311094.html

My guess would be to run 30k cst in them once "fully opened".

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back