Venmo purchase protection

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dure16

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Infraction
  3. Limitless
  4. Kraton EXB
  5. Talion
  6. Typhon 6s
  7. Typhon TLR
PayPal Goods & Services and Facebook Pay have saved me from scammers a couple times. It takes a couple weeks but I’ve always gotten my money back. I’ve always stayed away from sellers who only take other payments because there is no buyer protection.

Well, I recently went to buy a Max5 ESC off Facebook Marketplace and the guy would only take Venmo. I also remembered reading that Venmo recently added purchase protection. So I figured I’d give it a shot.

I paid and then the seller disappeared. No tracking info and no product. Blocked me on Facebook. Gotta love people sometimes.

I filed a dispute with Venmo and had my money back in two weeks. No back and forth. It was easy and now I feel way better about using Venmo.

I figured I’d share my experience in case anyone else is curious or hesitant.

It's really awesome seeing online consumer protection really taking off and becoming more common. I've only started ordering online in the last couple of years after a bad experience on Ebay kept me from online ordering for almost 20 years. Glad that worked out for you.

PayPal Goods & Services and Facebook Pay have saved me from scammers a couple times. It takes a couple weeks but I’ve always gotten my money back. I’ve always stayed away from sellers who only take other payments because there is no buyer protection.

Well, I recently went to buy a Max5 ESC off Facebook Marketplace and the guy would only take Venmo. I also remembered reading that Venmo recently added purchase protection. So I figured I’d give it a shot.

I paid and then the seller disappeared. No tracking info and no product. Blocked me on Facebook. Gotta love people sometimes.

I filed a dispute with Venmo and had my money back in two weeks. No back and forth. It was easy and now I feel way better about using Venmo.

Thank you for sharing.

I had avoided/hesitated on using Venmo because of the stories I had seen/read about scammers being able to take money directly out of your account without any recourse , originally when it was launched..

Glad to hear that they've implemented some sort of consumer protection..

I might give it a look see now.

Good to know, PayPal keeps raising cost for vendors, always looking for alternatives.
I just recently learned of a way to save when ordering with PayPal. They charge ridiculous fees for currency conversions. But it's possible to select to pay in the foreign currency and let your bank/credit issuer handle the conversion. At a FAR better and more up to date rate.

I just recently learned of a way to save when ordering with PayPal. They charge ridiculous fees for currency conversions. But it's possible to select to pay in the foreign currency and let your bank/credit issuer handle the conversion. At a FAR better and more up to date rate.
This is why I have a credit card that I can use for international orders. Its the Capital One Quicksilver card. There are no fees for international transactions, including currency conversions. When I've checked the exchange rates from USD to whatever currency I'm purchasing in, they have only been a couple pennies difference - never a single fee.

I originally got the card for when I traveled to Spain over 10 years ago and I've kept it around specifically for this reason.

Glad to hear👍
My Venmo story is a little different, however through no fault on Venmo's part..
About 2 years ago, my wife got a call from an 800 number..ignored.. couple minutes later, a text from our credit union security team. Please call 1-800 xxxxxxxx.. WTF? Not calling, what if it's a scam? Checks our checking account.. locked out!? 😱😳
Called the number on the back of the debit card, got redirected to security dept.. Mrs. KnowAir, did you use your card to Venmo money to someone? 4 transactions, each just over $200.. WTF is Venmo!? No, we did no such thing!!
The CU caught on, after the fourth transaction..
Luckily, the credit union put the money back into our account a day or two later.. but yeah, someone got her debit card number somehow.. scary!!

This is why I have a credit card that I can use for international orders. Its the Capital One Quicksilver card. There are no fees for international transactions, including currency conversions. When I've checked the exchange rates from USD to whatever currency I'm purchasing in, they have only been a couple pennies difference - never a single fee.

I originally got the card for when I traveled to Spain over 10 years ago and I've kept it around specifically for this reason.
Haha we just got a capital one card to use when we go to Costa Rica. Mainly use discover and they're trash outside of the USA apparently.

I can't bring myself to buy anything from FB marketplace. I feel like there's a legitimate 90% chance the seller does exactly what happened to @dure16 I see it ALLLLLL the time.

Just another perspective..
I Only deal Locally with FB marketplace sales and they've been great deals ,for me.

My Dumpster Fire was off of Craigslist though.. 🤣

Just another perspective..
I Only deal Locally with FB marketplace sales and they've been great deals ,for me.

My Dumpster Fire was off of Craigslist though.. 🤣
Yeah agreed if something is local no problemo, but at that point I'd be paying cash in person.

It's a complex world. Back in my day you showed up at a guys house, paid cash and walked away with whatever you bought. Even cars weren't a big deal.

You could even have a garage sale where all the neighbors showed up and rummaged all your junk. Then, at the end of the day, you gave them everything that didn't sell.
1680287335349.png

Still my preferred method but it does limit your options.

I can't bring myself to buy anything from FB marketplace. I feel like there's a legitimate 90% chance the seller does exactly what happened to @dure16 I see it ALLLLLL the time.
I buy a lot from FB marketplace.

I’d estimate 90% of interactions are great but the other 10% can certainly be painful. I haven’t lost any money to scammers though.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back