Venting tires on outside VS stock wheel vent

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zizi8862

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
  2. Outcast 4s
Sorry if this is discussed quite a lot. I still don't quite understand the concept of venting tires on instead of just having the stock wheel vents. Wouldn't water and dust get in if vented on the tires??

In theory, the holes in the tire will evacuate it self via centrifugal force, and the holes in rim will suck in debris.
So by covering the holes in the rim and adding some to the tread, it will help keep it cleaner and dryer...
I believe this theory, but others may have a different outlook... ?‍♂️

I understand with water that it will get slung out but won't dust or dirt get trapped between the rubber and the foam??

I understand with water that it will get slung out but won't dust or dirt get trapped between the rubber and the foam??
Dust is sort of the same concept as water, it does get flug out the holes as well.
I've unglued plenty of unvented tires and they were completely full of dirt/sand.

I don’t really pay attention to the sciency part of venting tires. I will tell you this much. When I don’t vent my tires (leave the holes in the wheel) tires tend to last less than 20 runs and always fail from tearing and ripping off at the bead. When I actually vent the tires, they last the life of the tread and never rip at the bead, with the occasional reglue needed (no tears)

Don’t underestimate the weight of the air inside spinning too. That air trapped against the tire has force too when spun at high speeds. People assume air is weightless, but that’s when it’s not moving. Ever tried to stand in strong winds? There’s mass there. Otherwise hurricanes couldn’t do the damage they do. You are starting a mini hurricane in your tire and if that air can’t escape, it will blow out your tire instead. Water and dirt of course have higher densities so they have a greater effect. But it’s all the same results.

Don’t underestimate the weight of the air inside spinning too. That air trapped against the tire has force too when spun at high speeds. People assume air is weightless, but that’s when it’s not moving. Ever tried to stand in strong winds? There’s mass there. Otherwise hurricanes couldn’t do the damage they do. You are starting a mini hurricane in your tire and if that air can’t escape, it will blow out your tire instead. Water and dirt of course have higher densities so they have a greater effect. But it’s all the same results.

Yep, this is why venting the tires reduces ballooning as well.

So I'm looking to vent my tires on the outside and was wondering what kind of tube to get for cutting the hole. Is it a specific tube that's available at hardware stores? TIA

So I'm looking to vent my tires on the outside and was wondering what kind of tube to get for cutting the hole. Is it a specific tube that's available at hardware stores? TIA
I use an EC5 connector bullet
But any 3/16” or so, tube will work.

Actual bullets work too, brass tubing, an old eye poker antenna, a soldering iron, lots of ways.
When you say actual bullets, you mean to shoot a round through the tire, right?? :ROFLMAO: :p

I don't have any bullets/casings that would be small enough but I think I've got old rabbit ear TV antennas somewhere that have the telescoping antennas.

When you say actual bullets, you mean to shoot a round through the tire, right?? :ROFLMAO: :p

I don't have any bullets/casings that would be small enough but I think I've got old rabbit ear TV antennas somewhere that have the telescoping antennas.
Yep any antenna should work. Just get a nice flat end and sharpen it with a good knife. Pop some holes in the treads, tape the rim holes, and get out and bash.

Just a side note, you can do two at a time, put them on a truck up on blocks and see the side by side difference. You should be able to spot a reduction in ballooning. Make sure to do this outside or in a space you don't mind getting wet. If you have any moisture inside the tire, its gonna fling out everywhere when you hit the throttle.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back