Venting tires question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1/16" hole at 4 equal positions, each wheel. At center of tread.
Tape off the wheel vents.
Arrma vents using this hole size on some of their new tires also.
From experience, the holes don't need to be that large. 4 tiny holes is all you need. I have torn a few tires due to larger and jagged holes. (n)FWIW. Holes being too large, then even the foam can start to push out through it. Been there.
I found that heating up an appropriate size Awl or similar sharp metal tool with a flame till it is Red hot, makes for a nice uniform, non jagged, small hole, by melting the hole. Don't go too deep and ruin the inner foam, that's all.
A very fine soldering tip will also work. A drill can work. Just be more careful with the foams. If the drill bit pulls out some foam with it, that is No good.
If the tires are not pre-mounted, a leather punch is good also. Larger than 1/16" hole venting only needs 2 places. Some ideas.
:cool:

Last edited:
+1.
Brass tube method has been around for 20+ years. Works also.
Originated at the Track. Aluminum tube also works. No jagged edges.(y)

I did mine with a sharpened brass 1/8 tube, worked awesome. You can pick up a pack of them cheap, cut off a 2" or so piece and sharpen the INSIDE of the tube, this makes it a tiny hole saw. When one end wears out, flip it around, that end wears out, cut another 2" piece, sharpen and start again.

1643309561184.png

^^^ +!.

Like you did is good.
Don't want to drill into a center mold seam if it is there. So Off Center slightly is good here.
I just prefer 4 smaller 1/16"holes. Not 2 1/8"holes. Many of my torn tires ripped at the holes first when larger. The cause of it. And large holes will catch on the terrain and contribute to ripping. Especially as they balloon.
Just me.

Last edited:
Thank you all. The last tires I did with my Dremel. I do have a punch the correct size and a torch. I'll try that way next.

I matched how the LP Backflips came so I can't really take any credit for size and placement LOL. I was afraid a drill bit might snag the foam center and bind up in it?
+1.
Been there.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back