Venting!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evil-T

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 6s
Not looking to debate venting but just thought I’d show you a trick I use

I’ve had limited success trying to cut, drill or using a soldering iron to put vent holes in a tyre.

This trick works great..

An 8g piercing needle, due to the chamfered edge I do pierce with the point at say 12 o’clock and push through, when you pull it out you’ll see the imprint of the circle and then I do it again using the imprint as a guide but placing the point at 6 o’clock (this is typically good for most tyres but for really thick ones sometimes you’ll need to do 12, 3, 6 and 9 o’clock)

Once done you should have a core shape piece of the tyre you can easily pull off to leave a nice cleanish hole.

3C9F5CAF-AE8E-40D5-9DC8-B3B3F0576B5D.jpeg
3963019F-8A83-49C8-8839-C579D8A83F06.jpeg
D55162DF-35F0-4235-B8AC-161B372AB078.jpeg

Attachments

• D14A14C9-3ADA-4136-ADC7-3E20D1AF76E7.jpeg
    D14A14C9-3ADA-4136-ADC7-3E20D1AF76E7.jpeg
    227.2 KB · Views: 44
Maybe I can use the opposite end and try the same with these needles?!

I just use a 1/8" drill bit in a dremel at a high rate of speed with very light pressure to let it burn/cut a hole, then leave it in the hole for a bit after getting through to clean up the edges. Usually leaves a nice clean hole.

Arent you risking wrecking your foams that way?

Been doing it for 15 years or so... on occasion, it will catch the foam, but I run it at such a high rpm that it just drills a hole in it too. I use very light pressure. The bit more burns a hole than cuts a hole.

I use the @Rich Duperbash method..
From the first time i ever tried.. Clean holes every time..
Same.
Except when venting a super soft racing tires, where this method didnt even remotely worked, the rubber just twisted around the tube, so there i used a soldering iron.

I just vented these and i used a soldering iron ?? it's always alot easier when you glue them yourself ?
I do the same thing to vent mine, but I did it on brand new mounted Backflips. I just pinch the tire between two fingers and use a very pointy tip on the iron. I tried the brass brake line drill bit once, but could never get it sharp enough to do a good job. One adverse effect of venting though, is the foams get eaten up prematurely. A lot more water and debris gets in those vents compared to the vent holes on the rims. The foams literally disintegrate over a short time if you run in dirty and dusty areas where even a little moisture is involved. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I just use a 1/8" drill bit in a dremel at a high rate of speed with very light pressure to let it burn/cut a hole, then leave it in the hole for a bit after getting through to clean up the edges. Usually leaves a nice clean hole.
+1. Works very well for me and leaves a very clean edge.

oh wait this thread is from 6 months ago ?

Great timing on this thread revival. I took some 4mm connectors off an ESC last night. Just chucked them up in the drill and used a chamfer tool to put an edge on them all. Will come in handy for tire venting tomorrow.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back