Venting!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not looking to debate venting but just thought I’d show you a trick I use

I’ve had limited success trying to cut, drill or using a soldering iron to put vent holes in a tyre.

This trick works great..

An 8g piercing needle, due to the chamfered edge I do pierce with the point at say 12 o’clock and push through, when you pull it out you’ll see the imprint of the circle and then I do it again using the imprint as a guide but placing the point at 6 o’clock (this is typically good for most tyres but for really thick ones sometimes you’ll need to do 12, 3, 6 and 9 o’clock)

Once done you should have a core shape piece of the tyre you can easily pull off to leave a nice cleanish hole.

View attachment 43431View attachment 43433View attachment 43434
After venting the tire, do you need to put the string around the outside to help keep it intact?

After venting the tire, do you need to put the string around the outside to help keep it intact?
No. Venting will alleviate some of the force that makes it expand. You still can wrap them if you want, but venting doesn’t make it a necessity

I do it to keep the tire from ripping off the wheel even when vented. Vented or not, 6S speeds will cause that to likely happen if they aren't belted, unless your religious about your tires being glued... which I'm not.

I don't wrap them on my 3S trucks though, they run 2.8" wheels. Seems to hold on fine, but they aren't geared as fast as my 6S trucks.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back