Kraton Very important video about the LSD plates

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surchaufeur

Very Active Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Nero
  4. Notorious
This is really important information my diffs now spins a lot smoother now after fellowing the process of the LSD. Long story short if anyone didnt notice the LSD plates have 2 faces one smooth side one sharp side. The smooth side always needs to be towards the sun gear or you will have a notchy gear action. Arrma should have released this when the exb was released maybe this is why also people have been destroying LSD diffs.

I have a question. Does the exb come with this plate out of the box or you have to buy them. or do you have to buy other part to build it correctly

I have a question. Does the exb come with this plate out of the box or you have to buy them. or do you have to buy other part to build it correctly

The plates are in the center and front diff. The rear diff is open.
Arrma should have released this when the exb was released

I agree - I checked the instruction manual again and it made no reference to a smooth/sharp side on the active plates.

so i have to buy plates to install them back? or I have to leave it open. sorry for the beginner's questions

so i have to buy plates to install them back? or I have to leave it open. sorry for the beginner's questions

there’s a couple of ways to approach it. If you want a limited slip differential, you can buy the plates and install them two ways - one for maximum limited slip and one for minimal limited slip.

Alternatively, if you want just an open diff, you can wait till Arrma’s 12x18x1.9 mm shim becomes available or you can buy 12x18 shims from places like McMaster-Carr and build up to 1.9 mm of thickness.

The new batch of exbs will come with the huge spacer for the sun gesr ibternals people had problems about the rear diff breaking in 5 mins. It was a mess but now its going to be fixed and people shoulnt be experiencing any more diff issues

Last edited:
This is really important information my diffs now spins a lot smoother now after fellowing the process of the LSD. Long story short if anyone didnt notice the LSD plates have 2 faces one smooth side one sharp side. The smooth side always needs to be towards the sun gear or you will have a notchy gear action. Arrma should have released this when the exb was released maybe this is why also people have been destroying LSD diffs.
This is what my local hs told me as well.

is there just a problem with the rear diff? do i need to check the front and center diff? so I should leave it open back but put a 12x18x1.9mm spacer. by putting this spacer I have to remove all the other shims in the diff?

is there just a problem with the rear diff? do i need to check the front and center diff? so I should leave it open back but put a 12x18x1.9mm spacer. by putting this spacer I have to remove all the other shims in the diff?
The issue so far is only the rear diff, and it hasn't been every single one either. It seems very common though. You will simply add the 12x18mm spacer or shims to the existing rear diff shims.

I built my EXB diff for minimal effect and with the plates facing the right way, but it still feels notchy! Is that normal with minimum effect? It just doesn't seem right compared to my center LSD diff, it was smooth as butter.

I built my EXB diff for minimal effect and with the plates facing the right way, but it still feels notchy! Is that normal with minimum effect? It just doesn't seem right compared to my center LSD diff, it was smooth as butter.
I have this exact same thing. Re built all diffs 2 times in my outcast 6s exb. The rear diff is meant to be set up with minimum effect and the front and centre have maximum effect.
Both re builds the rear “minimum effect” diff has felt notchy. The other two with “maximum effect” are both smooth.
My conclusion is that when in minimum effect set up there is less slip, so more locked effect.

Although that’s the opposite of what I first though and what seems logical. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I might try re building them all the opposite way around and then see if the front and centre are notchy and the rear smooth.

I have this exact same thing. Re built all diffs 2 times in my outcast 6s exb. The rear diff is meant to be set up with minimum effect and the front and centre have maximum effect.
Both re builds the rear “minimum effect” diff has felt notchy. The other two with “maximum effect” are both smooth.
My conclusion is that when in minimum effect set up there is less slip, so more locked effect.

Although that’s the opposite of what I first though and what seems logical. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I might try re building them all the opposite way around and then see if the front and centre are notchy and the rear smooth.
After I ran it, it immediately smoothed itself up, and it no longer feels notchy. Over the months that I've had the diffs, I've only had a single gear break, but that's it. So they've been very durable for me, even with constant standing backflips and abuse. So I'm not sure why it felt so awful when I first put it together as compared to the other differentials.

After I ran it, it immediately smoothed itself up, and it no longer feels notchy. Over the months that I've had the diffs, I've only had a single gear break, but that's it. So they've been very durable for me, even with constant standing backflips and abuse. So I'm not sure why it felt so awful when I first put it together as compared to the other differentials.
That’s good to hear that it smooths out after it’s ran for a bit.
Mine feeling notchy is just having been rebuilt and sitting on the bench.
Hopefully it will smooth out after a good run.

I just find it weird that in the maximum effect position they both feel smooth (even the centre with 100k) but the rear is stiff and notchy in the minimum setting.

Maybe it’s just small small burrs on the lsd plates and just need bedding in.

Once I’ve given it a good hiding I’ll repost back with what happened.

That’s good to hear that it smooths out after it’s ran for a bit.
Mine feeling notchy is just having been rebuilt and sitting on the bench.
Hopefully it will smooth out after a good run.

I just find it weird that in the maximum effect position they both feel smooth (even the centre with 100k) but the rear is stiff and notchy in the minimum setting.

Maybe it’s just small small burrs on the lsd plates and just need bedding in.

Once I’ve given it a good hiding I’ll repost back with what happened.
Minimum slip setup acts more like an open diff but not quite because it has 1 point of friction vs 2 on the standard LSD setup who is maximum effect. Minimum effect the disk is directly behind the sun gears fellowed by the 2 star plates. Maximum effect the disk is between both start disks creating more friction and more locked differential action

Minimum slip setup acts more like an open diff but not quite because it has 1 point of friction vs 2 on the standard LSD setup who is maximum effect. Minimum effect the disk is directly behind the sun gears fellowed by the 2 star plates. Maximum effect the disk is between both start disks creating more friction and more locked differential action
Yh I understand that, that’s how the manual also explains it. What I was replying to in this thread was how they feel compared to to what the manual states.
Mine feels tighter in the minimum position vs looser in the maximum position.

One other person said they had the same feeling once rebuilt but it but it went away after a good running in.

So that’s where I’m up to at the moment.

My diffs are all built and filled correctly and I have re built them several times, also inter changed the internal parts from the front and rear during the re builds. Each time the results have been the same.
So now I need to just take it out for a run and see how they feel in use and afterwards.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back