Kraton VIDEO: Stopping Wheels From Stripping on 6s, Pinning Axles

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitr0EngiEx

Reaction score
I used to have problems with spinning the hubs inside my wheels on 6s, but I came up with this idea to prevent that from happening.

Hi

Instead of using allen wrenches for the pin you can get 4 to 10 2.5mm drill bits off of ebay for about $2, and then cut the smooth part of the bit down to the right length.

Hi

Thats true, and I'll find out soon enough when the ones I ordered come in.

Great idea. Thanks for sharing.

Do any of the pins back out or shift, or is the tension of the wheel nut enough to hold those pins in?

Also, I bought 3 feet of tempered 2.5mm steel rod from my LHS for 3 Canadian pesos and cut those to length to make hub pins for my Senton 3s(mod) 17mm hub conversion. Really tough stuff, cheap, and available locally.

Is this a problem for many people? I've been running 6s for over a year on multiple different Arrma's and never had this issue with Backflips, MX38's, 3.8's, Shockwaves, etc.

I'm curious how many people on here had this issue?

Was it caused by wheel nut coming loose? Or landing with the power on? Or what?

TT

I was thinking about this issue this weekend too while talking to my son. Is it possible you just are not torqueing the nut down enough? I've had that issue on my 1/10 trucks - under torqueing the wheel nut will often lead to stripped hexes. Add torque and you are relying less on the corners of the hex to transfer the torque.

I was thinking about this issue this weekend too while talking to my son. Is it possible you just are not torqueing the nut down enough? I've had that issue on my 1/10 trucks - under torqueing the wheel nut will often lead to stripped hexes. Add torque and you are relying less on the corners of the hex to transfer the torque.

Stripped a wheel on my 1/10 scale Senton and one on my 1/10 scale Granite. Both were caused by me not checking the wheel nuts. I’ve never had it happen on my 1/8 scale rigs with 17mm hexes. Keep the hexes tight and it shouldn’t be an issue.

I know that I have had this happen on 3s in my 2wd Slash with the stock 12mm plastic hexes, but it didn't happen again after I switched to 12mm metal hexes. I also have never had this happen on any of my 17mm metal hexed vehicles. I'm guessing this problem is pretty rare and if it was a big enough problem I am amazed that @joostin420 hasn't had any issues with his TP4070 motor. That thing would be shredding wheels left and right.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back