Typhon Vitavon Wheel Hubs - Excessive Wear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleeper_service

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 6s
  2. Typhon 6s
Purchased hub set about six months ago. Removed bearings today to repack them and noticed a small hole all the way through the lower ball housing.

I can’t imagine how the hole could be repaired…likely it will continue to degrade…am I wrong to be mildly upset over this?

No off road conditions ever, no jumping, no bashing…no weird stuff. Vitavons own bearings and scorched balls. These seem like a awfully high priced item to need replaced every six months.

ACD42B42-CFC1-4AF8-AA93-A4B35FDDC2B9.jpeg

EE93975C-A930-49EE-A411-6DDD62510AF3.jpeg

I’m wondering if the titanium balls are causing this. Upon checking the other side, there’s a wear spot in the same area.

Lip of the holes feels slightly rough

3F5CB749-C3D6-488A-AACF-B61C070AB2C9.jpeg

99E45931-CB57-40B9-B76D-B4B60D262FA3.jpeg

EDIT: Unfortunately I think it is the balls…there’s a wear spot on the lip of the holes that go through them.

Something to consider for those who purchase these items in the future

D23B3CF1-B3B6-4FC4-948E-FB2B6737BE94.jpeg

606CB9F9-4B6D-45F7-9488-FD7BD63D6543.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes, titanium does not play well with aluminum anywhere there is motion. Try keeping them lubed to the max with graphite.

Would it be possible to smooth the edges of those holes maybe? Or would that not be feasible with the material?

I actually had graphite on them prior to noticing this 🥺

Would it be possible to smooth the edges of those holes maybe? Or would that not be feasible with the material?

I actually had graphite on them prior to noticing this 🥺
No, I wouldn’t ever try to resurface a spherical area. I can’t imagine that ending well. You’d end up with the balls popping out. Maybe go back to the stainless balls and leave the beautiful (!!!) titanium pillow balls for the composite uprights? Stainless is much softer. Wouldn’t eat up the aluminum nearly as bad.
At least you now have holes in each to introduce graphite, lol.
They say they are made from 7075 but then again, so did Integy many years ago.
They actually are. Google YouTube. A random e-bay‘er bought a bunch of Vitavon components and tested them. He said they all tested as 7075 with a “T6” hardening. Not hard enough for titanium not to f*ck with it, though.
And I’ve no experience yet to suggest they are anything but. They are beautiful components.

Last edited:
Further testament to the legitness of vitavon…I messaged the shop when I noticed what happened before I posted this here. Didn’t ask for replacement or compensation, just if they’d seen this happen before.

Today they sent me a new replacement front set at no charge. I’ve not been so pleasantly surprised in a while!

That’s nothing to do with the pillow balls. This is a result of the oversized bearings that Vitavon squeezed in. It leaves only a very thin amount of material between the bearing seat and ball hole. In this case it looks like the tolerances were such that the bearing seat has broken through. We faced a similar issue with our soon-to-be-released knuckles and had to make some changes to avoid the issue.

Aluminium on titanium is indeed not the best bearing surface. This is why we hard coated the titanium (gold) to make it similar to the standard chrome plate of stock parts.

Ideally the knuckles would have a ptfe lining to vastly reduce friction under load, improving steering and suspension. Now, if someone were to make knuckles like that…… 😉

Last edited:
That’s nothing to do with the pillow balls. This is a result of the oversized bearings that Vitavon squeezed in. It leaves only a very thin amount of material between the bearing seat and ball hole. In this case it looks like the tolerances were such that the bearing seat has broken through. We faced a similar issue with our soon-to-be-released knuckles and had to make some changes to avoid the issue.

Aluminium on titanium is indeed not the best bearing surface. This is why we hard coated the titanium (gold) to make it similar to the standard chrome plate of stock parts.

Ideally the knuckles would have a ptfe lining to vastly reduce friction under load, improving steering and suspension. Now, if someone were to make knuckles like that…… 😉
Is that a hint hint wink wink in there about a new product?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back