Granite Voltage Granite Rattling Noise?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadowvfx

Reaction score
My Granite Voltage has been a trooper. Dealing with assaults from my dog almost daily for 10 months now. Recently I've been hearing a rattle noise when driving around. Especially when it first begins to accelerate.

I know nothing about cars (Rc or real), but I suspect some of the gears inside the transmission are stripped? I took a brief video showing what the issue is. Is this worth fixing, or should I not bother given how cheap the RTR version of this car is?

Sounds like a stripped spur possibly. And every RC car is worth fixing. Look on Arrma's website for an exploded view of all the assemblies so you know how to take it apart and put it back together. The spur should be really easy to access.

My Granite Voltage has been a trooper. Dealing with assaults from my dog almost daily for 10 months now. Recently I've been hearing a rattle noise when driving around. Especially when it first begins to accelerate.

I know nothing about cars (Rc or real), but I suspect some of the gears inside the transmission are stripped? I took a brief video showing what the issue is. Is this worth fixing, or should I not bother given how cheap the RTR version of this car is?

Does the truck still move? Same speeds? If so seems like it may be another problem.

Remove the right rear wheel. Take the two screws off the gear cover and inspect the pinion and spur. You can pull the whole spur gear out to inspect the drive gear as well. There is nothing that you can screw up; the spur only pops in one way and there is no adjustment/mesh to set. One wheel nut and two screws- nothing to it.
Forgot to answer that it is worth fixing. Most parts are cheap, and it is fun and rewarding fixing them. For a $99 vehicle though, there could be an argument made that it is better to buy a new one and using the old for spare parts. I have two of these, and one is close to needing new tires and the other could use a new body. That is $80 in parts. I'd be better off buying a new one to use for parts.;)

Last edited:
I had this happen to me a few times. Tiny rocks made it through the motor section into the pinion/spur gear area. The sound was because these tiny things were stuck in the teeth of the spur/pinion. Do what he says above, use a dry brush to wipe any dust out of the spur/pinion. Then use something metal with a needle thin point to push out any big specs still caught in the gears. Brush out the gears again, flip the car upside down, and run it for a few seconds to see if it made a difference.

Also, now when I finished a battery or two, I hold the car sideways so that stuff can fall out of the motor, then pat it to get the dust and stuff to fall out of the motor itself.

Could be a stripped spur gear, the pinion gear that came loose, a rock or sand trapped in the gears or even made their way into the motor, dust/sand into the diff case/gear... At this point i would just spend 30 min tearing the car apart and clean everything. There are vids on Youtube on how to tear it up completely (to access the diff, you have to tear it up completely).

Back