Granite Voltage Series Diff Outdrive Issues?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently got back into RC thanks to my young son, and have really really liked both ARRMA's I've purchased. I got the Granite and Fazon. I have to say that I too quickly encountered an issue with the outdrive cups getting easily stripped by the (spur gear? The metal rod with the ends that fit into the cup and the other one by the wheel.) - NOTE: I don't know the terminology.

I haven't found a local hobby that carries replacements, but one close to my house special ordered replacements. Now that I have found them online, I might just stock up on them under the assumption they will strip out frequently.

Still happy with the cars, though. I agree they should consider a metal version of these, perhaps.

Hello All,

I'm new to RC and bought and bought granite voltage about six weeks ago.

I've replaced the diff outdrives 3 times. Last time was about 3weeks ago. I also stocked up spare ones. But now it seems to be holdin up pretty good. Me and my sons been bashin it up pretty good and also doing alot of jumps. Were driving it almost every day.
What a great car. We're running it on 2S Lipo 4200mAh 45-60C. We get speeds up to 35km/h with stock geering. And having good fun.

I want to check the differential and pull it appart, is there a threat about this?

The Diff Outdrive is a huge issue. I bought my Granite new and ran one pack through it and it stripped the first cup. After a trip to my local hobby shop to grab a new one it lasted not even half a battery pack before it stripped again. I am running a 20C 2S Lipo and only driving on grass in my yard. I have a small jump setup where the truck gets a massive 18 inches of air so I don't think that is the issue. I am very frustrated because I don't thing buying the same part again is going to solve the issue.

I realize this is an entry level kit but running stock on grass shouldn't be stripping the Outdrive. I was really surprised because I own a Fury and a Senton 4x4 and never have had a huge issue with them. Does anybody know if Horizon support is who to call in the US?

Last edited:
The Diff Outdrive is a huge issue. I bought my Granite new and ran one pack through it and it stripped the first cup. After a trip to my local hobby shop to grab a new one it lasted not even half a battery pack before it stripped again. I am running a 20C 2S Lipo and only driving on grass in my yard. I have a small jump setup where the truck gets a massive 18 inches of air so I don't think that is the issue. I am very frustrated because I don't thing buying the same part again is going to solve the issue.

I realize this is an entry level kit but running stock on grass shouldn't be stripping the Outdrive. I was really surprised because I own a Fury and a Senton 4x4 and never have had a huge issue with them. Does anybody know if Horizon support is who to call in the US?

I would imagine that's a good place to start. They have a pretty good customer service reputation. If Horizon can't help, I'm sure they can get you in touch with someone who can. I'm surprised that Arrma hasn't addressed this problem yet. I'm sure that they have read many accounts of this issue on multiple forum sites and Facebook, etc. As well as received multiple phone calls/emails from unhappy consumers. It's too bad, because the truck is a lot of fun and seems otherwise durable.

Everything else on the truck seems solid. I am going to try drilling my next set of Drivecups and adding a grub screw that will apply some pressure to the flat part of the metal spline. It might be tossing $5 out the window but I am willing to try anything at this point.

Everything else on the truck seems solid. I am going to try drilling my next set of Drivecups and adding a grub screw that will apply some pressure to the flat part of the metal spline. It might be tossing $5 out the window but I am willing to try anything at this point.

It's worth a try! I think Arrma should make metal inserts to slide into the outdrive cups. That may require some minor retooling to make room in the plastic molding, but in the long run it would keep customers happy and keep their reputation in good standing with the RC community.

I am completely new to RC and bought this truck for my 7 year old and after a few hours sounds like this is what has happened to me as well. The wheels spin when holding the buggy in the air but when you put it on the ground tires nolonger spin? Is there a thread that walks a newbie through what screws need to be taken apart to open it up? It looks to me like it is almost a complete break down to get to that area? Also could use part numbers. Any help would be greatly appreciated........thanks

I am completely new to RC and bought this truck for my 7 year old and after a few hours sounds like this is what has happened to me as well. The wheels spin when holding the buggy in the air but when you put it on the ground tires nolonger spin? Is there a thread that walks a newbie through what screws need to be taken apart to open it up? It looks to me like it is almost a complete break down to get to that area? Also could use part numbers. Any help would be greatly appreciated........thanks

I believe you just need to remove the wheels (probably a 7mm wrench), and either the upper or lower hub carrier screws to allow the dog bone to come out. I think the plastic diff outdrives are just press fit on the shaft.

I believe you just need to remove the wheels (probably a 7mm wrench), and either the upper or lower hub carrier screws to allow the dog bone to come out. I think the plastic diff outdrives are just press fit on the shaft.

Thats it, the good thing is it is super easy to change.

Thank you it was those parts which I ordered a few replacements and now works again!!

I had a similar issue but it was actually the steel shaft that goes into the cup that sheared off.
15413590644582051849361.jpg

Whoa, that's crazy! Must be made of pot metal or a bad mix of brittle steel.

My five year old was very unhappy. He got it on his birthday which was the first. Had to order the differential and idler set immediately to calm him down. Haha.

That's inexcusable. Arrma should cover this issue under warranty, especially considering it's practically brand new. It's a real pain to access the diff internals. The chassis needs to be split in half to get in there.

On an unrelated note, what's your avatar a picture of - if you don't mind me asking?

To be fair we had a full sheet of plywood sitting on the foot of a tipped over soccer goal as a ramp. Grass to plywood then MASSIVE air to concrete landing. But if you think they'd replace the part I'd be willing to try.

The avatar is a CK17V-TH. Basically a TIG torch with a threaded handle so it doesn't slip.

To be fair we had a full sheet of plywood sitting on the foot of a tipped over soccer goal as a ramp. Grass to plywood then MASSIVE air to concrete landing. But if you think they'd replace the part I'd be willing to try.

The avatar is a CK17V-TH. Basically a TIG torch with a threaded handle so it doesn't slip.

Ahh, gotcha. I figured it had something to do with welding/cutting. I would hope Arrma would help you out on this one.

Well the part was only eleven dollars and gives me an excuse to pull the truck apart. Plus I have already ordered one, but a spare would be nice. I'll shoot them an email later about it.
The torch is designed to prevent the head from slipping in the handle while walking the cup. Which is all I do welding pipe.

I contacted Arrma and they are sending a differential as well. Now I'll have a backup for the boy. He doesn't do much driving at anything other than full throttle, so we're bound to destroy another one soon.

I contacted Arrma and they are sending a differential as well. Now I'll have a backup for the boy. He doesn't do much driving at anything other than full throttle, so we're bound to destroy another one soon.
Good to hear! Never hurts to have a few spares.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back