Vortek 3s Slipper Pad

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony Slade

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Typhon 6s
Hi Everyone
I’ve recently purchased a Vortek 3s. I want to change the composite spur gear to a metal one. I’ve seen footage on YouTube of said up grade. My question is would I need to purchase extra slipper pads? The film I watched said you need two either side. Thanks

Hi Everyone
I’ve recently purchased a Vortek 3s. I want to change the composite spur gear to a metal one. I’ve seen footage on YouTube of said up grade. My question is would I need to purchase extra slipper pads? The film I watched said you need two either side. Thanks

Yup, you should need to add an additional slipper pad to the back or the metal spur won't sit correctly, being thinner. That's the default set-up in Arrma's 4S line (which comes with the metal spur), as I understand it, and is also the reason why the pads are sold in packs of four.

Yes - have done this myself in a 3s typhon. The metal spur gear needs two slipper pads each side.

metal gear solid GIF

Out of curiosity (and since it's relevant to OP's question): was this because you upgraded said Typhon to 4S/6S and you needed to beef up the spur gear to handle that additional power? Or for some other reason?

I keep hearing that, while an obvious upgrade in durability to the spur gear itself, switching to a metal spur tends to shift potential damage to other (more expensive) parts of the drivetrain -- particularly the driveshafts. Obviously there are upgraded CVD sliders and metal diff parts to ameliorate that as well, but upgrading everything does come with a pretty hefty pricetag.

Basically, I'm kind of on the fence on whether upgrading these parts is actually 'worth it', same as how I'm unsure on whether to stick to 3S power with my own Typhon or to plan out an upgrade path to 4S in the end. It seems all too easy to get caught in the trap of upgrading for the sake of it, while actually making the car worse, in some respects, for what you want to do with it.

metal gear solid GIF

Out of curiosity (and since it's relevant to OP's question): was this because you upgraded said Typhon to 4S/6S and you needed to beef up the spur gear to handle that additional power? Or for some other reason?

I keep hearing that, while an obvious upgrade in durability to the spur gear itself, switching to a metal spur tends to shift potential damage to other (more expensive) parts of the drivetrain -- particularly the driveshafts. Obviously there are upgraded CVD sliders and metal diff parts to ameliorate that as well, but upgrading everything does come with a pretty hefty pricetag.

Basically, I'm kind of on the fence on whether upgrading these parts is actually 'worth it', same as how I'm unsure on whether to stick to 3S power with my own Typhon or to plan out an upgrade path to 4S in the end. It seems all too easy to get caught in the trap of upgrading for the sake of it, while actually making the car worse, in some respects, for what you want to do with it.
Upgrading to the metal spur adds durability and longevity. A correctly adjusted slipper stops damage to the drivetrain, so using a metal spur will not shift damage.

metal gear solid GIF

Tbh I stopped running my typhon on 4s because it always pops driveshafts. 3s is plenty for that car for general bashing (imo). Technically my esc and motor could run 6s!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back