Vorteks Vorteks 3S/4X4 brushed Granite Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lkinney97

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite Mega
  2. Vorteks
Hey all so I had a question that I had been digging into and I wanted to get some additional input. I purchased a brushed granite for cheap in order to upgrade it to a brushless system (ESC and motor are dead) in order to give it to my family. I was originally going to try and just order the 3s granite parts off of jennys (motor, ESC, spur gear, driveshaft, and unsure what else). I also had the idea of upgrading my 3S vorteks and putting its electronics inside the granite. My question is which way would you guys go with? And are there any additional parts I might be missing? Thanks!

I’d personally do the upgrade. Which ESC/motor would you buy for the Vorteks?
That’s one I also was unsure on. I see hobbywing thrown around a lot. I know to stay in the 3000kv range for running 3s lipos. Any that you would recommend? I was tempted to put a 4s system and just run it on 3s.

You absolutely can move the Vortek's electronics to the Granite if you like as they are pretty much the same chassis, you'll just need to remember that the motormounts/gearing is different than on the Mega 4x4/Boost versions. Also of note is that the Vorteks is using an 18t pinion and the Granite's rotating mass is much greater, so you'll at least want to consider a 15t or 16t pinion in 32p.

You absolutely can move the Vortek's electronics to the Granite if you like as they are pretty much the same chassis, you'll just need to remember that the motormounts/gearing is different than on the Mega 4x4/Boost versions. Also of note is that the Vorteks is using an 18t pinion and the Granite's rotating mass is much greater, so you'll at least want to consider a 15t or 16t pinion in 32p.
So I would need a new driveshaft and pinion for the granite and just new ESC/motor for the vorteks? Any recommendations and should I swap the vorteks pinion as well? I’ve seen some people drop it to a 15t as well

⬆️ what he said lol. If you’re gonna give the granite away, go ahead and swap your bits and pieces from the vorteks and then upgrade the vorteks with better parts. I’d throw in a 3670 or 4068 rocket motor and 130a esc. The rocket motors only cost around 40-50 bucks. The 3670 is a tight fit and you actually have to lift the 130a ESC to install it, but the 4068 fits perfect. You can get a 130a esc off of Jenny’s for around 78 bucks from the losi tenacity pro. It’s even in stock right now. I’m running three of these on different 3 and 4s bashers for the last two years and they are very solid.

You will also have to upgrade the motor mount and spur for the brushed Granite. Again I’d swap over the vorteks parts then upgrade the vorteks with the motor mount assembly from the 4s line ($20) as it has a thicker 6mm plate. I’ve been running one of those for months on my granite jumper and they are strong.

I’d also go with a 4S metal spur (52 bucks). Is your brushed granite a V3? If it is, the differentials are the same as the 3s line. If not, you’ll have to upgrade those to go brushless. The sintered metal differentials off the 4s line may be a bit weak for 4s power but they’re great for 3s. You do have to do a little bit of material removal for the diffs to fit the 3s line but it’s not much and easy to do with a Dremel.
So I would need a new driveshaft and pinion for the granite and just new ESC/motor for the vorteks? Any recommendations and should I swap the vorteks pinion as well? I’ve seen some people drop it to a 15t as well
You don’t need to swap the driveshaft, the one you have works fine. you would need to get a new pinion though because the safe D pinion on the vorteks will not fit any motor except the stock spectrum. 15/16t pinion should work well, I’d rather like Robinson racing the most, they run around 12 to 14 bucks.

I forgot that you’ll also need a motor for the granite. You can get one stock off of Jenny’s for around 40 bucks or a 3660 rocket for around the same. I’d go with the rocket motor. They seem to last longer. You would also need a new pinion with this motor. I would get a cheaper arrma pinion that was not safety D. 14t or 15t would work well.

Last edited:
⬆️ what he said lol. If you’re gonna give the granite away, go ahead and swap your bits and pieces from the vorteks and then upgrade the vorteks with better parts. I’d throw in a 3670 or 4068 rocket motor and 130a esc. The rocket motors only cost around 40-50 bucks. The 3670 is a tight fit and you actually have to lift the 130a ESC to install it, but the 4068 fits perfect. You can get a 130a esc off of Jenny’s for around 78 bucks from the losi tenacity pro. It’s even in stock right now. I’m running three of these on different 3 and 4s bashers for the last two years and they are very solid.

You will also have to upgrade the motor mount and spur for the brushed Granite. Again I’d swap over the vorteks parts then upgrade the vorteks with the motor mount assembly from the 4s line ($20) as it has a thicker 6mm plate. I’ve been running one of those for months on my granite jumper and they are strong.

I’d also go with a 4S metal spur (52 bucks). Is your brushed granite a V3? If it is, the differentials are the same as the 3s line. If not, you’ll have to upgrade those to go brushless. The sintered metal differentials off the 4s line may be a bit weak for 4s power but they’re great for 3s. You do have to do a little bit of material removal for the diffs to fit the 3s line but it’s not much and easy to do with a Dremel.

You don’t need to swap the driveshaft, the one you have works fine. you would need to get a new pinion though because the safe D pinion on the vorteks will not fit any motor except the stock spectrum. 15/16t pinion should work well, I’d rather like Robinson racing the most, they run around 12 to 14 bucks.

I forgot that you’ll also need a motor for the granite. You can get one stock off of Jenny’s for around 40 bucks or a 3660 rocket for around the same. I’d go with the rocket motor. They seem to last longer. You would also need a new pinion with this motor. I would get a cheaper arrma pinion that was not safety D. 14t or 15t would work well.
Holy cow thank you for this write up! Would the 130A ESC need beefier connections than IC5/EC5? This is perfect for creating a parts list I’ll need to grab! I believe the granite is the v3 version as the box states the diffs are “brushless ready.” Would I need to touch the slipper clutch on either? I know the brushed one will need upgraded/replaced.

Holy cow thank you for this write up! Would the 130A ESC need beefier connections than IC5/EC5? This is perfect for creating a parts list I’ll need to grab! I believe the granite is the v3 version as the box states the diffs are “brushless ready.” Would I need to touch the slipper clutch on either? I know the brushed one will need upgraded/replaced.
EC5 is plenty.

Sure thing man. The ec5 are fine. Yup it’s the good version. Diffs should be fine but since it’s been used, you really need to open up inspect and service everything. You need a new slipper clutch for the granite and that can handle brushless. I would put the Vorteks slipper in there and then get a new one.

The 4s metal spur gear/slipper combo is 50 bucks on jennys and a stock one is around 40, I think. Though I’ve used most of the 4s parts, combining them with 3s parts, building a couple cars, I haven’t tried the spur yet. But it should fit just fine. Especially if you get the 4S motor mount/plate, which is better than the 3S one and I have made sure it fits the standard 3s chassis.

Sure thing man. The ec5 are fine. Yup it’s the good version. Diffs should be fine but since it’s been used, you really need to open up inspect and service everything. You need a new slipper clutch for the granite and that can handle brushless. I would put the Vorteks slipper in there and then get a new one.

The 4s metal spur gear/slipper combo is 50 bucks on jennys and a stock one is around 40, I think. Though I’ve used most of the 4s parts, combining them with 3s parts, building a couple cars, I haven’t tried the spur yet. But it should fit just fine. Especially if you get the 4S motor mount/plate, which is better than the 3S one and I have made sure it fits the standard 3s chassis.
That 4S motor Mount is ARA311106 right? That’s the one I got. I ended up going with the spektrum 120A ESC (no idea why I did 120 instead of 130 I think I liked it being from the Kraton?), the 4068 rocket engine 2650kv (I hope this works for 3s lol), 14-17T hardened pinions (no safe d for the vorteks), a 15t pinion for the granite and the 3s spur gear for the granite as well. I think that just leaves the metal spur/slipper combo for the vorteks!

https://jennysrc.com/products/arrma...-0-8mod-ara4410v2?_pos=6&_sid=299179da3&_ss=r

Is this the slipper clutch and spur gear you were talking about?

Last edited:
That 4S motor Mount is ARA311106 right? That’s the one I got. I ended up going with the spektrum 120A ESC (no idea why I did 120 instead of 130 I think I liked it being from the Kraton?), the 4068 rocket engine 2650kv (I hope this works for 3s lol), 14-17T hardened pinions (no safe d for the vorteks), a 15t pinion for the granite and the 3s spur gear for the granite as well. I think that just leaves the metal spur/slipper combo for the vorteks!

https://jennysrc.com/products/arrma...-0-8mod-ara4410v2?_pos=6&_sid=299179da3&_ss=r

Yes, that is the 4s clutch assembly. It's the same for the Kraton/Outcast 4s rigs.

It looks like that’s the right motor mount. You can tell by how the mount sticks out from the case slightly. The old 3s one is nearly flush with the case pretty much. Yup that’s the slipper I was referring to. The 4068, 2650kv motor is good. It’s lower kv than stock so if you want to keep the vorteks speed on 3s, maybe a 19 or 20t pinion is needed. Otherwise a 16-17 will do just fine. It’ll work great on 3s also. The 120a esc is good, no worries there. Sounds like you’re getting it all together well!

It looks like that’s the right motor mount. You can tell by how the mount sticks out from the case slightly. The old 3s one is nearly flush with the case pretty much. Yup that’s the slipper I was referring to. The 4068, 2650kv motor is good. It’s lower kv than stock so if you want to keep the vorteks speed on 3s, maybe a 19 or 20t pinion is needed. Otherwise a 16-17 will do just fine. It’ll work great on 3s also. The 120a esc is good, no worries there. Sounds like you’re getting it all together well!
Totally forgot to ask: do I need a heat sink/fan for that motor?

Totally forgot to ask: do I need a heat sink/fan for that motor?
If you get one that looks like below with the ribbed can, you don’t want to use heat sink. Only use a heat sink with a smooth can motor, for the ones that have ribbed cans its best to use a mounted fan that blows directly on the motor. Below is the Powerhobby fan mount I run on most of my cars, just have to make sure to get the right size. The link below is for a 40 mm can which is what I think you got (4068, 40 stands for 40 mm diameter and 68 stands for 68 mm long). A 40 mm rocket fan will keep the motor cool.

Surpass Rocket 40mm Motor Cooling Fan for RC Cars 16000RPM Waterproof Motor Heatsink for 1/8 1/10 RC Car 540 550 Motor (Silver Black) https://a.co/d/1FjOjxd

Power Hobbies Powerhobby Aluminum Motor Mount 30-40MM for Twister Fans (40-42MM) https://a.co/d/5sRdZjh

1A79CFBA-5E61-4263-8A05-9F28BF9F0287.jpeg

05145591-D0CB-4C86-B7FD-A1BD65DF79F7.png

B1F381D0-65F5-4B66-8BDD-0C24FC940956.png

If you get one that looks like below with the ribbed can, you don’t want to use heat sink. Only use a heat sink with a smooth can motor, for the ones that have ribbed cans its best to use a mounted fan that blows directly on the motor. Below is the Powerhobby fan mount I run on most of my cars, just have to make sure to get the right size. The link below is for a 40 mm can which is what I think you got (4068, 40 stands for 40 mm diameter and 68 stands for 68 mm long). A 40 mm rocket fan will keep the motor cool.

Surpass Rocket 40mm Motor Cooling Fan for RC Cars 16000RPM Waterproof Motor Heatsink for 1/8 1/10 RC Car 540 550 Motor (Silver Black) https://a.co/d/1FjOjxd

Power Hobbies Powerhobby Aluminum Motor Mount 30-40MM for Twister Fans (40-42MM) https://a.co/d/5sRdZjh

View attachment 265483

View attachment 265484

View attachment 265485
Good deal thank you!

Good deal thank you!

View attachment 265483

View attachment 265484

View attachment 265485
Looks like I have the solid can. Any heat sink recommendations that work with that fan?

IMG_2913.PNG

View attachment 265483

View attachment 265484

View attachment 265485
So if I have the can not the ribbed this would work?

RC Motor Cooling Fans Surpass Hobby Twin 30mm RC Car Motor Fan with Metal Cover 4068 4274 Brushless Motor Heatsink for 1/8 1/10 RC Car 40mm 42mm Brushless Motor https://a.co/d/ezBxofz

It says 4068 on it. And thank you for all of your help and sorry for the spam I’m just excited! I tore into them a bit last night still need the vorteks parts

RC Motor Cooling Fans Surpass Hobby Twin 30mm RC Car Motor Fan with Metal Cover 4068 4274 Brushless Motor Heatsink for 1/8 1/10 RC Car 40mm 42mm Brushless Motor https://a.co/d/ezBxofz

It says 4068 on it. And thank you for all of your help and sorry for the spam I’m just excited! I tore into them a bit last night still need the vorteks parts
Yes that should work

I’ve never use one of those, but it should work fine. Its all good man, feel free to ask questions and get excited. I completely understand and have been there many times. Enjoy getting it all together!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back