Vorteks Vorteks 3S dies quickly

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vonborries6

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I have had a new Vorteks 3s for the last month. It appears I can only do 2-3 100% throttle passes (80-100ft pulls) on a fully charged battery before it goes into creep/dead battery mode (slow for a few seconds before coming to a stop).

This occurs on 3 different batteries,
I have replaced the ESC and still get the same results.

Any ideas?

11.1v. 5200mAh. 50C
I use that on my senton

24743AFF-3C17-4FF4-8510-52B98F44787E.jpeg

I have had a new Vorteks 3s for the last month. It appears I can only do 2-3 100% throttle passes (80-100ft pulls) on a fully charged battery before it goes into creep/dead battery mode (slow for a few seconds before coming to a stop).

This occurs on 3 different batteries,
I have replaced the ESC and still get the same results.

Any ideas?

What is the voltage of the battery before and after? I've had people complain about their cars and it turned out their charger was set to only charge for 30min. Most of them have a voltage, mah, or time cutoff where they shut off prematurely.

What is the voltage of the battery before and after? I've had people complain about their cars and it turned out their charger was set to only charge for 30min. Most of them have a voltage, mah, or time cutoff where they shut off prematurely.
12.6 at start. 12.3 when I plugged it in to charge it again immediately after it went into creep mode

OK, sounds like the LiPo voltage has been ruled out, are there any flashing LEDs on the ESC? Green means overtemp, red means low voltage.

OK, sounds like the LiPo voltage has been ruled out, are there any flashing LEDs on the ESC? Green means overtemp, red means low voltage.
Full charge to 12.66V.
Ran for about 2 minutes, 3-4 100% passes, with a small break in between each.
creep mode; red flashing ESC
Post run; 12.10V

Can you post pics of the three lipos? What connectors do your ESC and lipos have?

3rd was one the hobby shop gave me to test with, I have sincr returned it to them. It was identical to these.

View attachment 149826
Well I’m not seeing an easy answer here. Seems like you’ve done everything I would. Those lipos are overpriced but decent quality. Using EC5 connectors, so that’s not the issue. You’ve tried three packs, so it’s not just a bad cell in one pack. You’ve tried another ESC. The only other thing I can think of is the rest of your electronics. Do you have another radio you could try? Wondering what the LEDs show when it loses connection to the receiver?

Well I’m not seeing an easy answer here. Seems like you’ve done everything I would. Those lipos are overpriced but decent quality. Using EC5 connectors, so that’s not the issue. You’ve tried three packs, so it’s not just a bad cell in one pack. You’ve tried another ESC. The only other thing I can think of is the rest of your electronics. Do you have another radio you could try? Wondering what the LEDs show when it loses connection to the receiver?
Thanks for the input. I am glad I am not the only one that is scratching their head on this one....
I don't have another radio available.
the lipos were a bundle. came with charger and the two batteries for ~$200.

Thanks for the input. I am glad I am not the only one that is scratching their head on this one....
I don't have another radio available.
the lipos were a bundle. came with charger and the two batteries for ~$200.
My LHS sells them too. They generally run about the same or more than too premium packs and they are more of a middle of the road quality wise. If I’m paying top dollar, I expect the best. Otherwise I will roll the dice with Amazon packs for around half the cost or less.

Have you tested the batteries level after cut off? Could you have one of those esc which cuts out at 4/cell?

Mine dies so fast too, I got two spektrum 50c batts with it and two additional amazon batts and they all suck. don't have another ESC to test with but feeling a little let down. I also had a motor go bad and eat a spur gear, they sent me a replacement motor, and this one feels even shorter.

I just got a Vortex this week. I only have a Spektrum 5000 mah/50C (gen 1) battery (IC5 connection). I've noticed, even when I do a few speed runs at full throttle, it eats battery like crazy. I did read/see somewhere, when you are bashing, on/off throttle they obviously last longer. The other day I was showing 1 battery light on my remote and was just doing slow jumps over some curbs (on/off) throttle it lasted me at least another 10 minutes on 1 indicator. I am seeing about 25-30 minutes with a few quick runs and then bashing (not slow by any means). I think 30 minutes feels about right to me. I'm no expert though. I am going to use the Spektrum Smart Battery Cell Checker to see if all is good there.

I mean 100% passes is a lot. On my 6s and 4s trucks i almost never hit full thorettle. Lipos hate throttle spikes. You have to accelerate like a normal car would if you want to remain conservative on ur run time. Sure i do almost hit fulk theottle when i want to wheelie but i get up to speed and let go and then go for the wheelie
My 6s trucks last like 30mins every pack my 4s arround 20mins. They get really hot tho i never understood why i run xt90s

Back