Vorteks big bore shocks rear little short from stock

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan207265_RC

Reaction score
So my big bore shocks came in today from eBay…and the rear are little short then the stock ones..like my previous post about putting 50W and the front shocks bent so I’m thinking on 30 or 35W oil on this time..lol but go back to question is it okay if the rear are little short? I got the ones that said for vorteks..any suggestions..lol

09693D0E-AD72-488D-8751-EB692B6AA2EC.png

98221927-0795-422A-8C7D-A8B3E1BED3D4.jpeg

Look close enough to me.
If eye to eye and the compression stroke are measured close to stock within several mm's , you should be ok.(y)

Look close enough to me.
If eye to eye and the compression stroke are measured close to stock within several mm's , you should be ok.(y)
Really so my suspension won’t be all messed up or bent again..lol on last shocks I put 50W so people suggest going down so I’m thinking 30 or 35W that already have I don’t have the 30W yet until 2morrow..

It's all trial and error with oil weights. You have new shocks there. 30-35w sounds like a good place to start. I always felt you start with thin oil and work your way up. Finding what you like after driving for a while. It's why they make so many grades of oil. These will feel a bit different from the stock shocks.
Playing with oil weight will dial it in the way you want it. This is purely subjective and what works for some may not work for you. We all expect our rigs to drive differently.
The stocker shocks are not all that.
Putting thick oil in them makes them too hard/firm, then they and break or bend.

Last edited:
It's all trial and error with oil weights. You have new shocks there. 30-35w sounds like a good place to start. I always felt you start with thin oil and work your way up. Finding what you like after driving for a while. It's why they make so many grades of oil. These will feel a bit different from the stock shocks.
Playing with oil weight will dial it in the way you want it. This is purely subjective and what works for some may not work for you. We all expect our rigs to drive differently.
The stocker shocks are not all that.
Putting thick oil in them makes them too hard/firm, then they and break or bend.
Oh okay so I started heavy with 50W on this new shocks but the hobby store told me to start at 50W but u right start on start low grade ..thanx a lot for the help….👌

If you had a heavier rig like one of the 6s rigs, I would say 40-50w is a start.
But honestly it is only the LHS's or anyones guess. Because those shocks are not an OE shock. The mfr. of the shock can't tell what oil works and does not. They just make the shock. And oil is rarely provided with any upgrade shock because of this. It is non OE.

If you had a heavier rig like one of the 6s rigs, I would say 40-50w is a start.
But honestly it is only the LHS's or anyones guess. Because those shocks are not an OE shock. The mfr. of the shock can't tell what oil works and does not. They just make the shock. And oil is rarely provided with any upgrade shock because of this. It is non OE.
Oh okay it makes since now..😲 thanx bro…for more info…lol

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back