Vorteks Vorteks Boost unboxing and build thread šŸ˜

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you please tell me if this set aill work on my Vorteks then?

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/tamiya-16t-and-17t-pinion-gear-set-1415
No they will not work on your Vorteks. See Velo's post.
Nope. you need mod .08 (also known as 32 dp) and your car has a stock 3S motor, right? So it needs a 5mm bore. This applies if you have a stock 3S vorteks.

Itā€™s .06 mod and 3.2mm shaft.
You are correct. Yeah, I didn't read the description. Edited my post.

Well to be honest though buddy , you should lower the gearing with bigger wheels dude . I dropped it down to 16t and working great .
Do you have different size Pinions there to give it a try .
Hey Chris - just catching up on this thread. Iā€™m running the Tomahawks on a 15t pinion 3S bashing on gensacearespammers 6000mah - Iā€™m getting a good 20/25mins - not in wet grass though. I think the car would not move in wet grass with this power and these tires! Lol (awesome tires though - got no body left as had to ream loads of body work due to rubbing. Especially on full suspension travel)

Hey Chris - just catching up on this thread. Iā€™m running the Tomahawks on a 15t pinion 3S bashing on gensacearespammers 6000mah - Iā€™m getting a good 20/25mins - not in wet grass though. I think the car would not move in wet grass with this power and these tires! Lol (awesome tires though - got no body left as had to ream loads of body work due to rubbing. Especially on full suspension travel)
Awesome stuff mate , there good ain't they , I've used mine on wet grass and they actually grip well even with 2wd .
Still can't work out what's going on with your body though strange that mate I'm not having the same issue as you . Having said that I have used thicker shock oil in the car so the car doesn't dip as much and also the tensioners that come with the car .
Yeah like yourself get a good run out of the batteries I have mind .

Awesome stuff mate , there good ain't they , I've used mine on wet grass and they actually grip well even with 2wd .
Still can't work out what's going on with your body though strange that mate I'm not having the same issue as you . Having said that I have used thicker shock oil in the car so the car doesn't dip as much and also the tensioners that come with the car .
Yeah like yourself get a good run out of the batteries I have mind .
Iā€™m on stock length arms dude. Narrow wheelbase and these tomahawks donā€™t mix.

So update , been using mine in wetter conditions, yay for the UK the bloody place does not stop raining lol , but finding that my bearings were seized when dried out . And didn't want to re apply the slip oil I use in the summer , so I ordered some marine grease ( lithium) and it works a treat it repeals the water and keeps it moving big bonus . Now there is slightly more resistance that using the race bearing oil but I can carry on using it without issues . And no cleaning the bearings and re application.

Took the sheild off and packed it in and clicked the shield back in place .
Definitely recommend this stuff , got it from a eBay listing .
received_1105367493511625.jpeg

Iā€™m on stock length arms dude. Narrow wheelbase and these tomahawks donā€™t mix.
That's what I'm using mind buddy , did you adjust your camber and toe and set your end points on the car to suit .
So update , been using mine in wetter conditions, yay for the UK the bloody place does not stop raining lol , but finding that my bearings were seized when dried out . And didn't want to re apply the slip oil I use in the summer , so I ordered some marine grease ( lithium) and it works a treat it repeals the water and keeps it moving big bonus . Now there is slightly more resistance that using the race bearing oil but I can carry on using it without issues . And no cleaning the bearings and re application.

Took the sheild off and packed it in and clicked the shield back in place .
Definitely recommend this stuff , got it from a eBay listing .
received_1105367493511625.jpeg

That's what I'm using mind buddy , did you adjust your camber and toe and set your end points on the car to suit .
I'll take a picture of mine now with the shell on to see the difference.

So been looking at upgrading the Frankenstein Vorteks to 4x4 and noticed something .

I found a sneaky thing Arrma has done with the 4x4 upgrade

They don't provide you with the front hub large rear bearings in the kit

Screenshot_20221207_222528_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20221207_222523_Chrome.jpg

So been looking at upgrading the Frankenstein Vorteks to 4x4 and noticed something .

I found a sneaky thing Arrma has done with the 4x4 upgrade

They don't provide you with the front hub large rear bearings in the kit

View attachment 261075View attachment 261076
There is an official Arrma video on this, did you check that by any chamce to confirm? Also, does this mean the kit on its own is not enough?

Itā€™s a 3s Vortek. Iā€™ve done the usual stuff I guess - 6ml new motor mount (ARRMA), steel spur gear (ARRMA), big bore aluminium shocks (ARRMA), 21kg amazon servo, steel pillow ball things all around (eBay), RPM arms front and back, Metal cvd Drives (ARRMA). So pretty beefed up I guess, 1/2 aluminium drive shaft as the one I bought didnā€™t fit the SWB! (But half of it replaced the finely carved out chair leg composite section at the rear), high speed drive shaft bearing support (ARRMA one clips snapped and was weak - got an aluminium replacement that seems better from eBay - seems to lessen noise slightly!?! God knows if it really does anything tbh.) So yeah. Thatā€™s how much money Iā€™ve wasted so far!
How did you find the arrma big bore shocks? Just snapped my vorteks stock shock shaft and wondering if these would be a suitable straight swap from stock?
Itā€™s a 3s Vortek. Iā€™ve done the usual stuff I guess - 6ml new motor mount (ARRMA), steel spur gear (ARRMA), big bore aluminium shocks (ARRMA), 21kg amazon servo, steel pillow ball things all around (eBay), RPM arms front and back, Metal cvd Drives (ARRMA). So pretty beefed up I guess, 1/2 aluminium drive shaft as the one I bought didnā€™t fit the SWB! (But half of it replaced the finely carved out chair leg composite section at the rear), high speed drive shaft bearing support (ARRMA one clips snapped and was weak - got an aluminium replacement that seems better from eBay - seems to lessen noise slightly!?! God knows if it really does anything tbh.) So yeah. Thatā€™s how much money Iā€™ve wasted so far!
How did you find the arrma big bore shocks? Iā€™ve just snapped a stock shock shaft and was wondering if these would be a suitable straight swap upgrade?

Last edited:
To be frank Im dreaded by changing shocks if they break or upgrading them. Even the factory shocks cost Ā£20-22 a pair šŸ¤Æ
Yeah itā€™s stressing me out to be honest, Iā€™ve read so much and I still have no idea whatā€™s the best option to go with, Iā€™m looking at the arrma red big bore shocks, but they have the same size 3mm shafts as the stock ones so Iā€™m worried Iā€™ll have the same snapping issue, and at about Ā£45 for the shocks and springs itā€™s a big hit if they offer no strength upgrade

How did you find the arrma big bore shocks? Just snapped my vorteks stock shock shaft and wondering if these would be a suitable straight swap from stock?

How did you find the arrma big bore shocks? Iā€™ve just snapped a stock shock shaft and was wondering if these would be a suitable straight swap upgrade?
Absolutely brilliant. 4/5months and never broke or bent. I think they were about Ā£80 all in from Wheelspin models. I would buy again.

Absolutely brilliant. 4/5months and never broke or bent. I think they were about Ā£80 all in from Wheelspin models. I would buy again.
Ahh brilliant thanks, I think Iā€™ll go ahead and get them ordered then, which springs did you go with? I think the 2 sets of springs wheelspin offer are shorter for the front and the longer for the rear?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back