Vorteks Vorteks motor/esc upgrade suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blank

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Vorteks
I'm thinking of getting a max8 combo onto my arrma vorteks, and that thing can run a 6s battery. So, anybody have experience with this sort of stuff?

Just imagine the amazing sounds you’ll get when you hit the throttle hard that first time. CRACKLE CRACKLE GRIND CRUNCH BUUUZZZZZ…grunk.

Make sure to record it because You may not get a second chance to run it.

Just understand that these things have trouble taking knocked up 3s power at times. 4s can easily cause bad damage to the drive train. 6s would be like putting a V-8 in an all stock Gremlin.

If you want to try go for it, just make sure to video and post your results.

Just imagine the amazing sounds you’ll get when you hit the throttle hard that first time. CRACKLE CRACKLE GRIND CRUNCH BUUUZZZZZ…grunk.

Make sure to record it because You may not get a second chance to run it.

Just understand that these things have trouble taking knocked up 3s power at times. 4s can easily cause bad damage to the drive train. 6s would be like putting a V-8 in an all stock Gremlin.

If you want to try go for it, just make sure to video and post your results.
Ok then, probably will not try that then. Any motor/esc replacement suggestions? My motor decided to say goodbye, so right now I don't have a motor.

I love my current setup, I am running a 130A Spektrum ESC and the Stock 3200kv motor. It is a hybrid Vorphon and has been running buggy tires for my offroad adventures. I have been steadily increasing the pinion size and have yet to crest 160 degrees. Currently running a 22t pinion with either the street hoons or the Proline badland buggy setup, It is a wild ride on 4S.

I am really amazed how much power the stock 3s rigs have.

The Senton 3s is one wild machine, almost uncontrollable at times (fun). Can the vorteks also do a 4 wheel burnout on 3s?

Besides the bearing problem on the stock motor I think its well paired with the 3s line. Sealing my power module has helped quite a bit in preserving life of the motors.

I have a 3670, 2650 KV surpass motor in it now with a 130 amp Spectrum Esc and it’s pretty good. I’m about to switch to a lighter 3665, 3100 KV Hobbystar motor though. It’ll be a little less crowded under the hood and faster with the higher kv. I think. I’ll find out soon lol.

I have a 3670, 2650 KV surpass motor in it now with a 130 amp Spectrum Esc and it’s pretty good. I’m about to switch to a lighter 3665, 3100 KV Hobbystar motor though. It’ll be a little less crowded under the hood and faster with the higher kv. I think. I’ll find out soon lol.
What pinion are you rocking? Think you could upsize?

What pinion are you rocking? Think you could upsize?
Right now I’m running at 18t. With the current motor I could easily run a 19 or 20, but with the one I’m about to put in I will start with a 17t. I have to be careful because I run dust covers. The benefit from these covers in dusty south central Texas outweighs the heat concerns for me.

I typically have more than one car so I rotate them, giving the hot one time to cool, and keep my temperature gun handy, checking often. But I try to be careful with pinions. I don’t need super top end speed, I prefer strong torque and the quick acceleration that comes with it.

Right now I’m running at 18t. With the current motor I could easily run a 19 or 20, but with the one I’m about to put in I will start with a 17t. I have to be careful because I run dust covers. The benefit from these covers in dusty south central Texas outweighs the heat concerns for me.

I typically have more than one car so I rotate them, giving the hot one time to cool, and keep my temperature gun handy, checking often. But I try to be careful with pinions. I don’t need super top end speed, I prefer strong torque and the quick acceleration that comes with it.
Hmmm..... I wonder how a 21tooth would do.. You should try it and let me know. :)

dat burnout GIF

Hmmm..... I wonder how a 21tooth would do.. You should try it and let me know. :)

dat burnout GIF
Nah, I max out at a 20t in my parts box. I don’t go for Max speed anyway. Just not my thing. Carving through the dirt jumping obstacles climbing trees are more to my liking.
Nah, I max out at a 20t in my parts box. I don’t go for Max speed anyway. Just not my thing. Carving through the dirt jumping obstacles climbing trees are more to my liking.
However…someday I will put my vorteks back to a speedster, road burner. Perhaps with a long wheel base chassis. Someday 🙃

Last edited:
I run the Castle Mamba X 2400kv combo in mine along with all my Arrma 4s cars. I love the sensored setup for the smaller RCs, the stock system cogged/had such a significant delay for me in the Vorteks with the larger pinion I couldn't stand driving it. I love the instant power from the Mamba X combo. I run it on 4s with a 22T pinion and it's probably my fastest accelerating RC, even better than my 6S cars that are hopped up to the max. Thing is literally a little speeding bullet. I'm running all steel diffs as well as aluminum yokes, steel spur gear with aluminum slipper pads, and the upgraded Arrma axles all the way around. It's one tough little car, one of my favorites. I enjoy running it onroad just as much as my Infraction.

You can get it for a great deal from this hobbyshop, probably in the same range as you're looking at for the max8 combo, but this is far superior for the Vorteks if you ask me.

https://vortexhobbies.com/castle-cr...5-2400kv-5mm-combo-cse010016001-p-182241.html

IMG_5042.jpeg

IMG_5043.jpeg

I just did a run on our vorteks with the castle mamba monster x 2200kv sensored at 6s. On 18 tooth and it’s easy a 70mph demon. It pulls deep digging wheelies rolling at 25-30mph. 🤣 backing it down to 15T for grass/dirt runs. I have metal diffs and yolks. I shot one front axle trying to bash earlier so I’ll probably be upgrading to metal cvds in the future once my backup parts are gone. The stock diff lasted 5 minutes on 4s.

However…someday I will put my vorteks back to a speedster, road burner. Perhaps with a long wheel base chassis. Someday 🙃
I'm with you on that, my man.👍🏽😎

My Vorteks 4X4 3S-BLX sports an SC8 ESC and a 3190kV motor.

My Vorteks all lit up, except for a few broken lights.

20230412_211419.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back