Vorteks Vorteks Refresh

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dqb

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
  2. Vorteks
Finished refreshing my Vorteks today, finally solving the problem (that I created through orig part selection) of it flipping over at moderate or high speed by widening stance through use of extended wheel hexes and fatter tires.

Now that the handling is sorted, will be looking for new combo to drop in. Noticed that castle used the vortex in one of their promo videos 😏

Besides regular maintenance items, updates for this iteration include:
_M2C +5mm Hex’s
_Proline Badlands MX28
_Arrma CVD shafts all around
_steel crown and input gear (rear only)
_new body

MVP product for build was this drywall tape; stuck twice as good as any I’ve tried and made that (awful) task just a bit more tolerable.
66842F64-838C-4E50-BAF3-C891457C1D62.jpeg
E2EB582E-75B5-4493-B871-DBA7D4CFC490.jpeg
0F0288F1-77FA-4CF4-98A4-589B7702F47D.jpeg
3964E615-E25C-48C0-AE1D-7695C6DE73D0.jpeg
DAED1ACC-F7C7-47D1-85E7-DD9DE0AC875D.jpeg

I see you've done some mods I plan to do when I get a Vorteks. Very nice! Safe to assume you did the Typhon/Big Rock arms as well?

Those look like the stock arms which is good, because otherwise they overextend the cvd shafts and stress them out. By the way, the biggest weak point on the CVDs are the sintered (monkey metal) axles. I had broken four while using them with extensions over 3 months. They like to break at the pinhole. I’m thinking now that I was cranking the adapter retaining screw on too tight, which stressed the axle, so be careful there. I was also jumping a lot. It happened both while using m2c and hot racing adapters.

I see you've done some mods I plan to do when I get a Vorteks. Very nice! Safe to assume you did the Typhon/Big Rock arms as well?
Cool! Let me know if you want feedback on anything specific; I’ve made my fair share of mistakes with this car would love to help others avoid.

Re: arms, Not yet. That was my ‘nuclear’ option if extended hex and fat tires did not work. Wanted to keep car nimble as my other cars are mostly truggy or monster trucks.

I got so fed up with them (cvds) that I converted my favorite 3S car into a true 4s car using most of the V2 parts I got off of Jenny’s. Those CVDs are pretty hard-core and I love them. I’m now collecting the parts to do the same thing with my vorteks

5B691042-DD1A-473F-A4F3-A8D8BE9FAFF3.jpeg

Those look like the stock arms which is good, because otherwise they overextend the cvd shafts and stress them out. By the way, the biggest weak point on the CVDs are the sintered (monkey metal) axles. I had broken four while using them with extensions over 3 months. They like to break at the pinhole. I’m thinking now that I was cranking the adapter retaining screw on too tight, which stressed the axle, so be careful there. I was also jumping a lot. It happened both while using m2c and hot racing adapters.
Good intel, will re-torque those now to make them ‘nice’!

Good intel, will re-torque those now to make them ‘nice’!
The more I think about it I’m positive I was causing the stress that led to the axles breaking. I always swap out the flat head screws that they use to secure the retaining pin with a m3 socket head. Those do not strip out as easy. But it also allowed me to really crank down hard on them.

I’ve been pondering about this for the last couple of weeks. I still have four functional cvds left and my granite has stock arms still (with hot racing +10 mm adapters)…so I think I’ll put them on, with the softer technique, and see what happens. Definitely use Loctite on that set screw. Otherwise I know they come loose, which is why I was cranking them down so hard. I like 243 loctite, it’s oil tolerant.
*Clean the screw and screw hole with alcohol or brake cleaner before applying the loctite.

The more I think about it I’m positive I was causing the stress that led to the axles breaking. I always swap out the flat head screws that they use to secure the retaining pin with a m3 socket head. Those do not strip out as easy. But it also allowed me to really crank down hard on them.

I’ve been pondering about this for the last couple of weeks. I still have four functional cvds left and my granite has stock arms still (with hot racing +10 mm adapters)…so I think I’ll put them on, with the softer technique, and see what happens. Definitely use Loctite on that set screw. Otherwise I know they come loose, which is why I was cranking them down so hard. I like 243 loctite, it’s oil tolerant.
*Clean the screw and screw hole with alcohol or brake cleaner before applying the loctite.
Makes perf sense - been there/doing that. Appreciate the heads up on these cvd axles as they are new to me

Finished refreshing my Vorteks today, finally solving the problem (that I created through orig part selection) of it flipping over at moderate or high speed by widening stance through use of extended wheel hexes and fatter tires.

Now that the handling is sorted, will be looking for new combo to drop in. Noticed that castle used the vortex in one of their promo videos 😏

Besides regular maintenance items, updates for this iteration include:
_M2C +5mm Hex’s
_Proline Badlands MX28
_Arrma CVD shafts all around
_steel crown and input gear (rear only)
_new body

MVP product for build was this drywall tape; stuck twice as good as any I’ve tried and made that (awful) task just a bit more tolerable.
View attachment 259344View attachment 259346View attachment 259345View attachment 259347View attachment 259348
Very cool mods! Can you fit the badlands on a stock Vorteks without the wheels rubbing on the body?

Very cool mods! Can you fit the badlands on a stock Vorteks without the wheels rubbing on the body?
I highly doubt it - I was previously running the narrower belted badlands and even then I had to cut the body to avoid rubbing.

It’s worth noting that the extended wheel hexes and wider tires were the MVP upgrade on this build. The car was miserable to drive before that on all 17mm hex wheels I tried (it flipped over easily in corners, even after maxing out suspension tuning options). Now it’s more like a monster stadium truck, still not as stable as stock wide/flat katars, but a riot to drive and better offroad (someone needs to coin a new phase for that similar to ‘truggified’)

I highly doubt it - I was previously running the narrower belted badlands and even then I had to cut the body to avoid rubbing.

It’s worth noting that the extended wheel hexes and wider tires were the MVP upgrade on this build. The car was miserable to drive before that on all 17mm hex wheels I tried (it flipped over easily in corners, even after maxing out suspension tuning options). Now it’s more like a monster stadium truck, still not as stable as stock wide/flat katars, but a riot to drive and better offroad (someone needs to coin a new phase for that similar to ‘truggified’)
Thanks for that...didn't think it would work stock...those tires look like they'd work well off road. We pretty much just bash out on forest service roads etc and am looking at new tire options for the Vorteks.

Need some help looking to upgrade my arrma vortex’s 3s ESC for bashing
I put Granite tires and dropped off a couple of teeth on the pinion gear, added preload spacers for a "taller" stance and it has been great for bashing.

I got so fed up with them (cvds) that I converted my favorite 3S car into a true 4s car using most of the V2 parts I got off of Jenny’s. Those CVDs are pretty hard-core and I love them. I’m now collecting the parts to do the same thing with my vorteks

View attachment 259355
Did you ever do it to your Vorteks and what parts do you need? Just took my Vorteks out for the first time with Typhon arms and popped the cvd out and bottom shock eyelet snapped. Piece of poop hot racing shocks. What a waste of money. Luckily have some team associated to replace with.

Did you ever do it to your Vorteks and what parts do you need? Just took my Vorteks out for the first time with Typhon arms and popped the cvd out and bottom shock eyelet snapped. Piece of poop hot racing shocks. What a waste of money. Luckily have some team associated to replace with.
Hell yes I did and it totally rips!! It’s tough as nails also. I love both of my 4s builds and am glad I went that route. All the details are below…
Thread '4s hybrid Vorteks…Thing (another Velo build)'
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/4s-hybrid-vorteks…thing-another-velo-build.58380/

64D996A2-173B-44F9-9A54-1E25E3E4EC8D.jpeg

C6BB9AE7-71FE-4F73-B809-2549646C7C99.jpeg

Hell yes I did and it totally rips!! It’s tough as nails also. I love both of my 4s builds and am glad I went that route. All the details are below…
Thread '4s hybrid Vorteks…Thing (another Velo build)'
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/4s-hybrid-vorteks…thing-another-velo-build.58380/

View attachment 287949

View attachment 287950
Just finished skimming your build thread. What a beast. Love it.

I’m hoping there is easier way to get beefy cvd’s in my Vorteks without having to get rid of the Typhon arms and go 4s part swapping.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back