Vorteks steering cuts out.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eirisch

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to this forum and I hope you can help.

I have new Vorteks which is giving me trouble. The shop is online, and I'm cursing myself for that choice now with the hassle of sending stuff to them for warranty stuff, at the risk of not finding errors.
So I want to narrow it down a bit first.

My Vorteks randomly looses all steering. It randomly cuts out when driving and stays off, while throttle remains in function. I sometimes get the impression that the throttle endpoints perhaps are affected a bit during these events. End points of both steering and throttle have been set by me.
Sometimes it's off already when I start the car, other times it drops out after about 1 minutes of driving.
I have noticed that steering can come back again if I redo the end point calibration from the transmitter. This is with the car stationary, so it shouldn't be cable related. Reseting the endpoints doesn't always work. Restarting the car or receiver doesn't help.

So, does anyone have a fix for this, or can you help me narrow this down to ESC, or receiver-transmitter?

Any help is appreciated before I proceed with the online shop who seems not super good at customer service.

(in my defense, my LHS didn't have the vorteks in stock). :)
I also want to add the information that the steering works perfectly when it actually works. Doesn't seem tight or anything. The car has been run probably 6-8 packs only. And not bashed hard.

Hi, I'm new to this forum and I hope you can help.

I have new Vorteks which is giving me trouble. The shop is online, and I'm cursing myself for that choice now with the hassle of sending stuff to them for warranty stuff, at the risk of not finding errors.
So I want to narrow it down a bit first.

My Vorteks randomly looses all steering. It randomly cuts out when driving and stays off, while throttle remains in function. I sometimes get the impression that the throttle endpoints perhaps are affected a bit during these events. End points of both steering and throttle have been set by me.
Sometimes it's off already when I start the car, other times it drops out after about 1 minutes of driving.
I have noticed that steering can come back again if I redo the end point calibration from the transmitter. This is with the car stationary, so it shouldn't be cable related. Reseting the endpoints doesn't always work. Restarting the car or receiver doesn't help.

So, does anyone have a fix for this, or can you help me narrow this down to ESC, or receiver-transmitter?

Any help is appreciated before I proceed with the online shop who seems not super good at customer service.

(in my defense, my LHS didn't have the vorteks in stock). :)
I also want to add the information that the steering works perfectly when it actually works. Doesn't seem tight or anything. The car has been run probably 6-8 packs only. And not bashed hard.
Welcome to AF!! Do you have another servo or, if not, have a friend who could loan you a servo to test if the servo is the issue? That's the first thing I would check and proceed from there. I'm sure others will chime in who themselves have a Vorteks, perhaps it's a known issue. I'm just looking at it from a standard fault elimination process perspective. Hope this helps :)

Thanks. Unfortunately I don't have an extra server, but I could try to get a hold of one. I suppose I should have one extra waiting around anyway.

Have you checked extremely carefully for any rocks or wood chunks stuck down in the steering components? These things are rock vacuums and suck them in through the front And at jams the steering. I actually try to avoid small rock patches Just because of this.

If it’s not that, you need to open up the receiver box and make sure all connections are tight. If that’s not it, get a new servo. Many on here opt for the 25 KG Amazon cheapo for 20 to 25 bucks. I prefer to run the S652 servo off of the 6S line. They’re 20 bucks on jennysrc and you can still run a stock servo saver. If you decide to go that route make sure to pick up a few steering assemblies (includes the servo saver) of the 3s line. Only two bucks on Jenny’s and makes it easy to swap them out as needed.

If nothing works than hell I don’t know, this is a process of elimination sometimes so you just keep on working on it.

Thanks. It's absolutely not mechanical or rocks. I have tried rebinding, and recalibration AVC etc. The receiver gets a signal from the transmitter, that's clear. The only thing that now moves is the throttle. I have checked the connectors

Would I be able to move the connectors between steering and throttle on the receiver on my search for any errors?
Because I did that, and the throttle worked fine from the steering wheel.
Sounds like the servo is the bad guy here!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back