Vorteks Vorteks wheel choices...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Infraction
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Vorteks
I have a Vorteks on it's way(either today or tomorrow) and I have been looking up mods done to the car while I wait. The biggest impact for me is the wheels. I love the way the stock tires look, so I'll likely run them until they're bald.

However, I am still looking for upgrades for when the time comes. I see a lot of people using 2.8MT wheels/tires like the PL Badlands and Trenchers for example. But since this is a stadium truck, why isn't anyone running the ST variants of those wheels or any others? I noticed that without the 10mm offset adapters from Hot Racing, the wheels will definitely rub.

Also, for anyone that can answer this, is it possible to remove and mount new tires to a pre existing wheel after the tires have met their match? I actually really like the stock wheel design on the Vorteks.

I have a Vorteks on it's way(either today or tomorrow) and I have been looking up mods done to the car while I wait. The biggest impact for me is the wheels. I love the way the stock tires look, so I'll likely run them until they're bald.

However, I am still looking for upgrades for when the time comes. I see a lot of people using 2.8MT wheels/tires like the PL Badlands and Trenchers for example. But since this is a stadium truck, why isn't anyone running the ST variants of those wheels or any others? I noticed that without the 10mm offset adapters from Hot Racing, the wheels will definitely rub.

Also, for anyone that can answer this, is it possible to remove and mount new tires to a pre existing wheel after the tires have met their match? I actually really like the stock wheel design on the Vorteks.
Yes you can mount used rims to new tires by simply boiling the tires and eventually the glue will fail and boom fresh tire foam and rims

FWIW the Vorteks is running 14mm hexes, a not very popular wheel hub size. You can easily change to 17mm by swapping out to typhon 3s stub axles and hexes, or just the entire wheel side of the slider and hexes if you get them off Jennys

Yeah, I have the hot racing 17mm hub adapters with the 10mm offset on my Big Rock with Badlands. I know the 14mm hexes don't have a lot of wheel options, but my question was why is everyone using the MT variant of the popular proline wheels instead of the ST variant. Does this truck really need wider tires? Just wondering how prolines in the same width as the stock tires would perform.

Yeah, I have the hot racing 17mm hub adapters with the 10mm offset on my Big Rock with Badlands. I know the 14mm hexes don't have a lot of wheel options, but my question was why is everyone using the MT variant of the popular proline wheels instead of the ST variant. Does this truck really need wider tires? Just wondering how prolines in the same width as the stock tires would perform.
The would most likely cause you to roll over a little more but you will have a lot better grip

I'm just trying to make this truck awesome for the street but still viable to tear through grass and dirt. I don't need to send it 30ft in the air, but I'd like to drift it and still do some sweet jump transitions. I have my big rock for the serious bashing.

I saw those. Been thinking about it but I want to be able to run up on the dirt and grass every once in a while too. I doubt those will hold up for that kind of driving.

Swap back and forth with the stock. There really aren't many tires that are acceptable for street and off road, let alone good at both.

When I ran my vorteks with stock tires on grass the grip was pretty bad. Couldn't put power to the ground at all. Street it was nice though. Badlands fixed that 👍

When I ran my vorteks with stock tires on grass the grip was pretty bad. Couldn't put power to the ground at all. Street it was nice though. Badlands fixed that 👍
I have the Badlands MX28 on my Big Rock. They perform very well in grass and dirt, but on the street it can't track straight at all. I adjusted the shocks and tow on the front and I'll test it later today to see if it changes. I kind of wish I would have gotten the trenchers instead. Their tread pattern would handle street and off road equally well.

Yes you can mount used rims to new tires by simply boiling the tires and eventually the glue will fail and boom fresh tire foam and rims
How long do you boil them? I’ve tried several methods including boiling without much luck. Finally used goo off and pried the strips of rubber out (tires had long before disintegrated leaving the rim stuck in the wheel grooves).

I have the Badlands MX28 on my Big Rock. They perform very well in grass and dirt, but on the street it can't track straight at all. I adjusted the shocks and tow on the front and I'll test it later today to see if it changes. I kind of wish I would have gotten the trenchers instead. Their tread pattern would handle street and off road equally well.
Trenchers have awful traction on anything but a specific texture of wet dirt.

Aw really? That's unfortunate. I'm leaning towards a set from Duratrax. Have my eye on SpeedTreads Vindicators.
If you still have the stock Fortress ST, just use those for dirt and grass, and get a set of Bandito ST for street. Takes less than 5 minutes to swap tires and you'll get way better traction than anything that tries to do it all.

If you still have the stock Fortress ST, just use those for dirt and grass, and get a set of Bandito ST for street. Takes less than 5 minutes to swap tires and you'll get way better traction than anything that tries to do it all.
I have a set of Banditos for my Typhon 3s, and they are great for street running. I use Pro-Line 2.8 Trenchers for off road running.

With this truck I'm mostly trying to bash the street and dirt. I use my Big Rock for grass and other rough terrain. It'll be easier to find a tire that way than trying to get an all in one tire. But I'm definitely going to get some solid 12mm hex adapters. I don't like the adapters the duratrax comes with. Sounds like a disaster even with loctite.

Trenchers have awful traction on anything but a specific texture of wet dirt.
I haven't experienced that with Trenchers on my Typhon 3s. For me, the Trenchers have been great on grass and pavement, but I'm not close to an area with loose dirt to try them on that type of surface. I am particularly surprised how well the Trenchers grip on pavement.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back