Vortex boost steering problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPB

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hi, forgive me but I’m new to the RC world. I’ve got a Vortex boost brushless and the steering has stopped working. I’ve looked online and from what I can gather the stock servo isn’t very good and has probably been Stripped. I‘m looking at how and what servo would be good to use, also I’m not sure of I’ll need to change the supplied ECS to use the new servo etc.
if anyone could give me any help it would be much appreciate, it’s my first attempt to fix a broken RC
Thanks

Hi, forgive me but I’m new to the RC world. I’ve got a Vortex boost brushless and the steering has stopped working. I’ve looked online and from what I can gather the stock servo isn’t very good and has probably been Stripped. I‘m looking at how and what servo would be good to use, also I’m not sure of I’ll need to change the supplied ECS to use the new servo etc.
if anyone could give me any help it would be much appreciate, it’s my first attempt to fix a broken RC
Thanks
Hello JPB! In general it would probably be a good idea to upgrade to a metal gear servo as they are way more reliable. Is you servo making grinding noise? Or is it simply not moving back and forth? Have you checked to make sure the steering bell cranks are not jammed near the servo? If you are to upgrade to a super reliable servo and are willing to buy a pricey one I recommend the Team Corally CS-5245 Coreless Steel Gear. It is a 100$ steering servo, but is metal geared, has lots of torque and has survived absolutely everything my 50+ mph Traxxas Hoss has put it through. I have not broke it despite, crashing, flipping, failed back flips and everything else breaks but not the Team Corally servo.

Ok, I looked up the statistics on the boost servo and you’re in luck, it is a three wire Servo so you should be able to use the existing ESC. Here’s the thing, it is a 23t servo, so you’ll need a 23T replacement servo or you will have to upgrade to a 25T servo saver, if you get a different servo besides an Arrma one. Arrma is the only company that has 23T servos. If you want to avoid complications, you can get a s652 servo which is what is on the 6s line. It will take a 23T servo saver, which your car already has. It is also good enough should you decide to upgrade it to brushless someday.

If you’re in the states, you can pick one up cheap for 17 bucks off of Jennysrc.com. There is shipping, typically 5 to 6 bucks, so you might as well pick up a few other parts at the same time. The boost shares many of its parts with the 3s line so simply go to the 3s version of your car. Parts that typically break on these cars are steering hubs, arms and you can also get an entire stock steering assembly, including the bellcrank and servo saver, for just a couple of bucks. I like having those in stock in case steering begins to suffer I can simply swap a new one in.

Here is the link to the exploded view of your car on the arrma website. This is a good way of getting to know your car, what the parts are called and where they go. You do have to cross reference the part number on the horizon hobby website, but it’s easy to do.
If you have any other questions post them here and good luck bud.

https://www.arrma-rc.com/en/interactive-exploded-view?pid=ARA4103SV4T1

https://jennysrc.com/collections/ar...um-s652-digital-steering-waterproof-ara8608v5

902E13F2-C551-4C9A-B2E7-B66916DDA857.png

Thanks for the info. I’ve checked to make sure nothing is jammed with debris and don’t see anything. most of the time it just doesn’t move, but I can see a very slight movement at times.
can I keep the same ECS with the servo you recommended?
thanks
I also have a Vorteks 3S Brushless BLX I purchased at the same time. Although it’s working ok so far, I can imagine I’ll need to replace that servo too. Not sure if I can use the same for both … and then I’ll purchase two.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I’ve checked to make sure nothing is jammed with debris and don’t see anything. most of the time it just doesn’t move, but I can see a very slight movement at times.
can I keep the same ECS with the servo you recommended?
thanks
I also have a Vorteks 3S Brushless BLX I purchased at the same time. Although it’s working ok so far, I can imagine I’ll need to replace that servo too. Not sure if I can use the same for both … and then I’ll purchase two.
Yes, the servo I mentioned SHOULD work with the ESC in your boost. I don’t have a boost model, but considering that it already uses a three wire servo, it should fit another three wire servo. I run the S652 servo in four, 3S cars and two, 4S cars. It’s not the fastest or strongest out there but I haven’t had one fail in close to two years. It is a solid servo for a very good price if you get it from jennys.

Your vorteks has the S651 servo, which are known to fail rather quickly in 3s cars. So it’s good to have a new one on hand for when that happens. You could also switch the vorteks servo over to the boost and put an S652 servo in it if you wanted. By the way, the boost doesn’t even have an S651 servo. It has perhaps the cheapest servo I’ve ever seen.

Just a thought , if I could get the best servo possible and put it in the 3S brushless , then I could take that 3S servo and put it in the boost.
if I wanted the best (strongest/Quickest/most reliable) which should be recommende.
will also have to look online at how to actually do it too.
I’m in the UK so I know parts aren’t that easy to get

Just a thought , if I could get the best servo possible and put it in the 3S brushless , then I could take that 3S servo and put it in the boost.
if I wanted the best (strongest/Quickest/most reliable) which should be recommende.
will also have to look online at how to actually do it too.
I’m in the UK so I know parts aren’t that easy to get
Man, you can spend 150+ bucks if you want on the servo. It would be quite a waste on a 3S car though. I can only tell you what I would do. The s652 is my favorite for the 3 and 4S cars. Others would recommend the 35KG Amazon special. There’s also the jx eco boost. Maybe some of the guys will chime in with other recommendations.

I know some people in the UK order from jennys, even though the shipping is high, because the prices are so good compared to retail. You would have to research and see what works for you.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back