Raider VXL upgraded Raider needing some help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frog417

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Raider
Im brand new to rc. I have a raider that I bought off ebay it came with a traxxas vxl and vilneon motor no servo or radio. I bought an ax5s and a 7g arrma servo runs perfect. I take it out again and while driving it loses power. Or so I thought I throttled back and had my finger on the motor shaft now I have a burn hole in my finger. So the motor spins but the tires don't I feel like I stripped the gears somewhere I have checked the motor gears ,spur and pinion I think like I said very new and they are good what should i look at next

Im brand new to rc. I have a raider that I bought off ebay it came with a traxxas vxl and vilneon motor no servo or radio. I bought an ax5s and a 7g arrma servo runs perfect. I take it out again and while driving it loses power. Or so I thought I throttled back and had my finger on the motor shaft now I have a burn hole in my finger. So the motor spins but the tires don't I feel like I stripped the gears somewhere I have checked the motor gears ,spur and pinion I think like I said very new and they are good what should i look at next

Welcome to the forum. Probably not a bad idea to get a fresh start in the member introductions thread. Haven't seen a lot of Raider owners here, but I'm sure someone will crawl out of the woodwork to help out. If the Raider has a slipper, and I'm not sure if it does, that would be my first conclusion. Worn out slipper won't allow for proper transfer of power. How about some pics of the set up for reference?

How much did you pick it up for?

I recommend nobody buys a used rc because 99% of the time they’re being sold because the owner got sick of it, abused it, and didn’t repair it after something real bad went wrong, especially if you’re a newbie!

I recommend nobody buys a used rc because 99% of the time they’re being sold because the owner got sick of it, abused it, and didn’t repair it after something real bad went wrong, especially if you’re a newbie!
Definitely not what the poster wanted to hear. Help or suggestions would be more fitting.

Sorry. Just didn’t want anyone else to make the same mistake. Anyway at least you got a heavy discount.

90 I googled the vxl motor it was much more than that so I got it

Is the slipper clutch slipping?
I did Google this as well it is set up the traxxas explains tighten so that the spring touches and then back off one full turn

Sorry. Just didn’t want anyone else to make the same mistake. Anyway at least you got a heavy discount.
I learned my lesson it the second one I bought used I have e a redcat that I have to replace parts on everytime I drive it!!!!

I did Google this as well it is set up thetraxxas explains tighten so that the spring touches and then back off one full turn
This might be your problem. On a brand new slipper, this method would apply, but as a slipper becomes worn, you might consider backing it off less. Even from new, I never backed off more than half a turn, and eventually that became less than a quarter turn. I would remove the slipper completely, clean it and make sure the contact parts aren't glazed. When you reassemble, start with a full turn back off the spring, test, then adjust it tighter if necessary. The VXL is powerful and will spin through a bad slipper without pause. Make sure when you put it back in, that your pinion and spur mesh is set correctly too. Having the slipper working properly means there is more force applied at this point, and an improperly set mesh will destroy your spur. This is all based on my Traxxas knowledge, and I hope the same applies with the Arrma. If anyone feels that there is information to the contrary, please jump in and correct. Don't want to have our newest member chasing a ghost.

Here are some slipper clutch pics

Attachments

• 15511886790612429320139646472072.jpg
    15511886790612429320139646472072.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 65
  • 15511886985172476399041556898189.jpg
    15511886985172476399041556898189.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 68
  • 15511887349027022273328394234115.jpg
    15511887349027022273328394234115.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 60
Slipper clutch pics

Attachments

• 15511888959524530948729844013562.jpg
    15511888959524530948729844013562.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 57
  • 15511889260452707837752901337870.jpg
    15511889260452707837752901337870.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 15511889510262593368490846252221.jpg
    15511889510262593368490846252221.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 61
As tight as possible.

My 10th scale Traxxas trucks were usually all beefed up drivetrain wise so I only backed off a quarter turn but I assume you don’t have upgraded diffs (I know arrma’s 10th scale diffs aren’t bulletproof) so I’d back off a half turn.

As tight as possible.

My 10th scale Traxxas trucks were usually all beefed up drivetrain wise so I only backed off a quarter turn but I assume you don’t have upgraded diffs (I know arrma’s 10th scale diffs aren’t bulletproof) so I’d back off a half turn.
I don't know about the old Arrma 1/10 scale trucks but the diffs in the 3s BLX lineup are rock solid, plastic and all. You can check @RC DUDE81 YouTube for his latest video running 4s in his Granite.

When you say looses power, is the motor still winding at speed but the truck isn't moving very fast?

I wouldn't go that far as to say to never buy used. There are good deals to be had in the used market. Not everything is trash.

Now that said I don't buy used very much as I'm a very particular person and want all of my RC's in top notch condition. I'm more picky I suppose.

Do I tighten as tight as possible before I back it off or just till the spring touches

I tighten down the slipper clutch all the way then back off a quarter to half a turn. In many cases that should be good to go.

Yes sir. The tire only is barely spin when I lift it and throttle it also I can spin one tire freely and the other doesn't move

Ok so I little more info I can lift the truck and the wheels will spin a little bit also I can freely spin one tire while the other tire stays still

Yes sir. The tire only is barely spin when I lift it and throttle it also I can spin one tire freely and the other doesn't move

Well if it isn't the slipper, I'd check the diffs next.

I don't know about the old Arrma 1/10 scale trucks but the diffs in the 3s BLX lineup are rock solid, plastic and all. You can check @RC DUDE81 YouTube for his latest video running 4s in his Granite.

When you say looses power, is the motor still winding at speed but the truck isn't moving very fast?
Yes it is still going I found both gears are moving just not the tires

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back