Kraton Wanted: An ESC fan that is not trash

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OVJosh

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton EXB
We have 8 different Aarma and Traxxas trucks. One thing I have found that they all have in common…..ESC and motor fans are trash. A few jumps and the blades break or the fan comes apart.

I have tried different manufacturers, but am sick of paying $15-$30 to replace a fan every 2 months or so.

I had a brand new one bust 2 blades last night, and the truck wasn’t even being jumped!

I am looking for some heavy duty, maybe even metal blade, fans that aren’t POS wastes of money. Any suggestions?

This fan has been amazing for me just make sure if you bash with it use some like rubber grommets under it to absorb some impact. This thing blows like crazy especially on 12v https://www.ebay.com/itm/184700743486
Here's a video I did showing how crazy powerful it is

This fan has been amazing for me just make sure if you bash with it use some like rubber grommets under it to absorb some impact. This thing blows like crazy especially on 12v https://www.ebay.com/itm/184700743486
Been using these since I saw your video, they are bonkers. I can hear them as far as I can drive my truck :ROFLMAO:

I use these,super tough an run off 4s..

Screenshot_20211112-100912_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Heres port for 3s or 4s pack

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211112-101157_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20211112-101157_eBay.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 51
Yeah I also use those 40mm server fans. Learned how to make my own fans months ago to solve the same problem you have. I buy them for cheap off Ali Express in bulk and have about 10 sitting around at a time. When one breaks, which is very seldom I'll add, I just make a new one. You can buy ESC shrouds that fit 40mm fans from lots of places that 3D print stuff. I use the WFO Racing max 6 fan shrouds. Motor heat sinks can be modified to fit the 40mm fan as well, just get some metric bits and M3x40mm screws to fit them. Tons of DIY fan videos on youtube and this forum I'm sure that can show you how.

Yeah I also use those 40mm server fans. Learned how to make my own fans months ago to solve the same problem you have. I buy them for cheap off Ali Express in bulk and have about 10 sitting around at a time. When one breaks, which is very seldom I'll add, I just make a new one. You can buy ESC shrouds that fit 40mm fans from lots of places that 3D print stuff. I use the WFO Racing max 6 fan shrouds. Motor heat sinks can be modified to fit the 40mm fan as well, just get some metric bits and M3x40mm screws to fit them. Tons of DIY fan videos on youtube and this forum I'm sure that can show you how.
Just check the speed of the fans, some are weak I would say off the top of my head 20k plus for speed. Some are in the teens and imo don't push enough air.

I use these,super tough an run off 4s..

View attachment 179592

I like these options. Men, I am NOT the best at wiring or soldering. What 3S ends did you all buy and a link to those ends please?

Any suggestions on how you connected the 3S connector to the fan?

wrong

Last edited:
I like these options. Men, I am NOT the best at wiring or soldering. What 3S ends did you all buy and a link to those ends please?

Any suggestions on how you connected the 3S connector to the fan?
You could use some wire clamps (not really sure of the technical name) instead of soldering

Wrong

Last edited:
Thx....but I am looking for the 3S balance port end so I can attach fan wires to it. @K-BASH has a picture of it above in his post but I cannot find it.

Don’t just twist and tape bud. Solder that puppy then tape/heat shrink or use an insulated crimp.
If you’re not comfortable completing that task obtain the proper adapter.

325CCF43-C0CB-4CD5-87A4-78E6AA15A94F.jpeg

F9513BE4-4B31-4699-BD96-C8C8DC0D5FD7.jpeg

A1E27B66-C27A-4650-9634-7FC83F3A1441.jpeg

Here ya go just have to cut off the end and twist and tape the fan wires to it and your good to go👍🏼 https://www.readymaderc.com/products/details/jst-xh-3s-balance-to-jst-male-battery-style-connector

Don’t just twist and tape bud. Solder that puppy then tape/heat shrink or use an insulated crimp.
If you’re not comfortable completing that task obtain the proper adapter.

View attachment 180819

View attachment 180820

View attachment 180825

Excellent! Thx Men just what I needed. I am not good at soldering but I can do those good and will do that!

Thx

@Edough13 @Spoc85

I see some of these fans come with 4 wires like the server fan. I do not have or selected a fan yet, but for 3S all I need is two wires only to the 3S connector, right?

@Edough13 @Spoc85

I see some of these fans come with 4 wires like the server fan. I do not have or selected a fan yet, but for 3S all I need is two wires only to the 3S connector, right?
Yes you'll want the red and black wires which are the negative and positive the others can get clipped off they are not needed.

They are just signal wires that change the speed of the fan. Not needed. Find the positive and negative. Could also be blue and brown.
I thought you had fans in your Kraton?

Last edited:
They are just signal wires that change the speed of the fan. Not needed. Find the positive and negative. Could also be blue and brown.
I thought you had fans in your Kraton?
Correct I do have then on my Kraton.

Hijacking this idea and those fans you all posted to do my own for my Big Rock and Losi DB Pro motors. They have fans but not enough air, (y)

I split a small wire off to an xt60 and a castle bec to power mine. I used to do the pretty tech flex and make it nice but now i just waygo them in so i can connect and disconnec them quicker hahahaha.

mojave10.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back