Wanting to de-anodize my shocks.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StephenSchandelmayer

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Gorgon
  2. Mojave 4s
  3. Outcast 4s
  4. Typhon 6s
Hey guys, as the title states. Been reading through some threads on here. Just curious if anyone feels like it's a bad idea or regrets doing it? Just wanting to get rid of the red shocks on my incoming typhon build

I've never deanodized shocks but have other parts. Can't see it being an issue. You'll have to strip the shock first so to not damage seals and plastics.

Funny you posted this as I'm actually looking to deanodize all my red parts on my typhon, my reasoning is I have 2 clear bodies I'm going to paint and the colors I want to use will clash with the red shocks. After I deanodize them I'm going to polish them up a bit to take the dullness away and hopefully it makes them look like new, like they came from factory that way. I'm debating on if I should buy some new shock bodies and start with those just in case they don't come out the way I want them to.

I went with the brushed look instead of polishing them. I was happy with the result.

I've never deanodized shocks but have other parts. Can't see it being an issue. You'll have to strip the shock first so to not damage seals and plastics.
Yeah for sure. But sweet, I'm pumped. Never done it before but I have seen others and it looks great.
Funny you posted this as I'm actually looking to deanodize all my red parts on my typhon, my reasoning is I have 2 clear bodies I'm going to paint and the colors I want to use will clash with the red shocks. After I deanodize them I'm going to polish them up a bit to take the dullness away and hopefully it makes them look like new, like they came from factory that way. I'm debating on if I should buy some new shock bodies and start with those just in case they don't come out the way I want them to.
Small world lol! I can't wait! Got all my parts coming this weekend

HD over cleaning is what I used

I did this and ended up plugging the shock before spraying it down with foaming oven cleaner. The anodizing on the inside stayed perfect as I didn't want to affect the bore finish. Not sure if it would have made a difference but its still nice and smooth and I didn't lose any clearance with the shock piston (however small it would have been anyway)

I'm going to easy off my typhon shocks this weekend. Not too big on the polished look. I'm going to toss them in the tumbler for 12hrs with some walnut shells. I was just searching up on removing anodizing!! Great timing.

So I did all my parts and then reanodized them custom colours. I highly recommend not using oven cleaner it can leave black marks if left on too long etc. Lye crystals work best, mix with water and you can make it as strong as you need but not so strong it makes black marks. I can tell you now stripping the inside of the bore will do nothing negative. The coating is nano meters thick and as soon as the alluminum hits the air it will create its own oxidization layer to protect it. So no worries strip away but like I said use crystals.
I'm going to easy off my typhon shocks this weekend. Not too big on the polished look. I'm going to toss them in the tumbler for 12hrs with some walnut shells. I was just searching up on removing anodizing!! Great timing.
Protect the threads on them before the tumbler, just wrap some masking tape on them. The end caps have very poor threads and if the shock threads are damaged the caps won't thread on again.

Hey guys, as the title states. Been reading through some threads on here. Just curious if anyone feels like it's a bad idea or regrets doing it? Just wanting to get rid of the red shocks on my incoming typhon build

Do it...the end results look good. I started a thread on the ones I did...lots of good info and what was told to me and what I used. Leaving it at the polished look is cool too... I just wanted to polish. Yes...they hold up well after doing so in look!

Thread:
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/how-to-remove-the-anodized-red-on-the-typhon-shocks.39208/

End result:
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/...ed-red-on-the-typhon-shocks.39208/post-542461

Using new or old...does not matter...your call. I used the ones I had been using...
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/...ed-red-on-the-typhon-shocks.39208/post-542461
So I did all my parts and then reanodized them custom colours. I highly recommend not using oven cleaner it can leave black marks if left on too long etc. Lye crystals work best, mix with water and you can make it as strong as you need but not so strong it makes black marks. I can tell you now stripping the inside of the bore will do nothing negative. The coating is nano meters thick and as soon as the alluminum hits the air it will create its own oxidization layer to protect it. So no worries strip away but like I said use crystals.

Protect the threads on them before the tumbler, just wrap some masking tape on them. The end caps have very poor threads and if the shock threads are damaged the caps won't thread on again.

Agree with FC...

The caps are very sensitive so I did not leave them in the bath long and checked them more often than the bodies...please mask up the smell is a killer....

I highly recommend not using oven cleaner it can leave black marks if left on too long etc.

I must admit, last time I used oven cleaner, it did leave some black marks. I did leave it in the cleaner longer but never put two & two together. Where do you get Lye crystals or what off the shelf product contains Lye crystals?
I must admit, last time I used oven cleaner, it did leave some black marks. I did leave it in the cleaner longer but never put two & two together. Where do you get Lye crystals or what off the shelf product contains Lye crystals?
drain cleaner. answered my own question

drain cleaner. answered my own question
no don't use drain cleaner trust me stick with the crystals. Home depot, home hardware or walmart will have it. It's called lye crystals. sometimes in garden area.
no don't use drain cleaner trust me stick with the crystals. Home depot, home hardware or walmart will have it. It's called lye crystals. sometimes in garden area.
WEAR GLOVES!!!! when mixing the lye crystals is lye so if you have sweaty or moist skin it will burn you if crystals get on you. Have vinegar on hand to nuetralize mixture after done and to nuetralize any spills.

yer already looked online for Lye crystals but we don't seem to have it over here. Only drain cleaner/Caustic Soda/Sodium Hydroxide comes up.

yer already looked online for Lye crystals but we don't seem to have it over here. Only drain cleaner/Caustic Soda/Sodium Hydroxide comes up.
hmmmm. Do you have a place like walmart or home depot down under? Building centres or garden centers would be best to call and ask.

hmmmm. Do you have a place like walmart or home depot down under? Building centres or garden centers would be best to call and ask.
no we got Bunnings or Bunnings. this is whats at bunnings:

Untitled.png

Untitled2.png

I did like the look of the Anniversary OC with the deanodized parts.

Lye is caustic soda which is NaOH crystals. Try to get the least fancy drain cleaner because you don't want one where they have added blue dye to make the toilet look cleaner etc.

Lye is caustic soda which is NaOH crystals. Try to get the least fancy drain cleaner because you don't want one where they have added blue dye to make the toilet look cleaner etc.
ok thanks

De-anodised parts look cool 😎
Word of warning though, use protection such as gloves and eye protection. If you get it wrong or have an accident spilling or splashing whilst using lye you will be going to hospital ..!!
Make sure you are confident in using dangerous chemicals before you try this..!! I don't want to harp on about the dangers involved but seriously these are just toy cars and you don't want to injure yourself because you're unsure of what you're doing..!!🤙🏼

This is what I used.. Mr Muscle Power Granules, this stuff is no joke..!!!
Stay safe 😎

s-l1600 copy 2.jpg

Before....

IMG_9525.jpeg

After...

IMG_9583.jpeg

And polished...😎

IMG_9658.jpeg

I think caustic soda is the main ingredient in oven cleaner too. obviously that's why they work.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back