Wanting to upgrade my Typhon Mega

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guitarslinger75

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I just recently bought the typhon mega 550. I want to upgrade to the hobbywing ezrun max8 v3 150a with the 4274 2200kv motor.... will I be able to upgrade to this

That's too much power for that truck you're going to strip every gear in that thing. You literally have to replace every gear in it to the 3s/4s gears front to back, change the motor mount, and then you might get away with it on 4s but will probably break u joints on the axles on 6s. Plus I think the motor can is too big in circumference to fit and will hit the chassis before you can seat it all the way down. Also the esc won't fit under the body unless you cut the receiver box off right before the servo mount.

For reference here's a pic of my Typhon with an Arrma blx 185 and 4074 to give you an idea. The Max8 is about the same size and the motor is the same length as the 4274.

20200510_013607.jpg

Max10sct and 3660 is the same size as the 3s/4s blx esc and motor so those can fit in the stock locations. If you go with that esc and that sized motor for brushless and want to stick with the stock gearing then stay on 2s but upgrade to the HD diff output gears at a minimum. The stock mega diff output gears are entirely plastic and known snap on brushless power and the HD ones are metal on the center drive shaft end so they are stronger. Also look at the aluminum adjustable motor mount.

If wanting to go 3s or higher you will start needing to think about upgrading more of the gearing as mentioned. For 3s just doing the spur/slipper/pinion to the ones in the 3s/4s blx trucks is a good idea, otherwise the mega slipper/spur tend to strip. The mega diffs with the HD inputs should hold up to 3s power though.

with that kind of money thrown at it, get a brushless car instead and keep this mega as a spare or for the kids?
Yeah, this.
$140 for theMAX10SCT motor/ESC.
About $100 in parts (plus shipping) from JRC - twice that if you piece it together from amain or Tower.

So about $260 for the parts, or $300 for a BLX3s...

Lol it's called boredom and I have money so don't worry about me lmao... I like to build things and I just got into r/c cars not that long ago... it's called tinkering and sorry I'm the only kid in the house and it's not like you can do anything anywhere right now... right

we're not implying you haven't got enough money, we just think even after you have spent $$$ tickering it, it will be no better than a RTR brushless off the shelf.

If you got the money, get a 6s and upgrade the hell out of it, you will end up with a super impressive machine!

but whatever you choose to do, good luck!

That's cool but I still can upgrade this to the max... I'm just bored and starting to argue with myself lol I'm single and just bored lol so thanks for advice and later I probably will but I just ordered a traxxas stampede that's also brushed but im going to upgrade the poop out of it... just happened that this one came first lol. Have a good one all and thanks for the advise.... no harm no foul lol

Lol it's called boredom and I have money so don't worry about me lmao... I like to build things and I just got into r/c cars not that long ago... it's called tinkering and sorry I'm the only kid in the house and it's not like you can do anything anywhere right now... right
That is as good a reason as any. :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back