Warby's Bitza Baja Bug build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm, that area behind the power module is like a collection basket for all kinds of debris which is going to get to your spur, pinion, bearings and motor now. Are you sure visualizing the mesh is worth it? Just set the mesh and check that you have that little wiggle after you close the power module. I hope you're also going to drill a hole in the chassis to let debris out.

Last edited:
😆 that holed cover is not staying on. Its just to set the mesh, then the normal cover is used. That's why I marked it as a tool. I will be doing my best the seal the final assembly.

Thanks for the vids. Good inspiration. I have seen the one by "Mechanic after hours" and it's awesome.

Yes I have a set of senton bumpers and body mounts if I need them. Not sure if I'll use them or not. I'll just play it by ear. See what works and what looks good. I also have some old school spotlight. Still haven't decided what colour to paint the body either. Actually haven't decided what tyres to use either. Just winging it. 😆
Mechanic after hours Is great, I really like watching that one along with jonneyQ or something like that.

Make it visible, bug look great bright and sassy I think.

I am enjoying your spare parts build! I’ve been wanting to do something similar based around a swb typhon type thing for use as a ‘mudder’ or beach car. I have so many old parts with life left in them and extra spare parts…I’d love to have one little car I don’t have to worry about getting wet etc.

Mechanic after hours Is great, I really like watching that one along with jonneyQ or something like that.

I am enjoying your spare parts build! I’ve been wanting to do something similar based around a swb typhon type thing for use as a ‘mudder’ or beach car. I have so many old parts with life left in them and extra spare parts…I’d love to have one little car I don’t have to worry about getting wet etc.
I watch JohnnyQ90 also. He does some amazing builds.

I was going to paint it gunmetal grey as I already have a couple of cans but I think you're right. Brighter, more traditional bug colours would suit it better. It all depends on paint availability too. There seems to be a Tamiya PS paint shortage in Australia atm.

Glad you're enjoying the build. Hopefully I'll get time to start assembling it soon. Still waiting for the steering posts and adjustable motor mount to arrive. Also I want to do this build with my son so waiting for his time as well.

I actually gravitate toward the weathered paint primer gray or matte black type bugs. But I also love the classic Baja Bug racer.

Last edited:
I watch JohnnyQ90 also. He does some amazing builds.

I was going to paint it gunmetal grey as I already have a couple of cans but I think you're right. Brighter, more traditional bug colours would suit it better. It all depends on paint availability too. There seems to be a Tamiya PS paint shortage in Australia atm.

Glad you're enjoying the build. Hopefully I'll get time to start assembling it soon. Still waiting for the steering posts and adjustable motor mount to arrive. Also I want to do this build with my son so waiting for his time as well.
That’s great your sharing this with your boy. Bummer about the paint shortage though.

My very first car was a copperish colored Baja. I loved that bug! Rebuilt the motor myself, ripped it all over Houston and Galveston beach. Used to launch it of railroad crossing humps and other things. It was a really cool car 🙃

That’s great your sharing this with your boy. Bummer about the paint shortage though.

My very first car was a copperish colored Baja. I loved that bug! Rebuilt the motor myself, ripped it all over Houston and Galveston beach. Used to launch it of railroad crossing humps and other things. It was a really cool car 🙃

This build was always going to be done with my 12yo son. I should have mentioned that in the first post. He's not into RC's as much as me but he does like them. Actually this build is an excuse to spend some more 1 on 1 time with him and get him off his gaming computer. I won't start assembling it till he's ready.

I think some shops have started to get some PS paints in stock just recently. I managed to get some white and blue on Thursday.

We were both up early this morning so made a start on the build. Got all the parts set out to see what we are missing. As I knew, still waiting for the steering posts and motor mount to arrive.

20220313_081937.jpg

Rear end assembled
20220313_091858.jpg

Front end somewhat assembled.
20220313_100429.jpg

Stopped there as the steering needs to go in next, I noticed my son was getting distracted and I need to mow the lawn before it gets too hot out.

Last edited:
Steering posts arrived today so front end is assembled. I don't have high hopes for the servo though. Its very noisy and doesn't move by hand when turned off. I guess you get what you pay for. We'll see how long it lasts.

20220314_164652.jpg

Steering posts arrived today so front end is assembled. I don't have high hopes for the servo though. Its very noisy and doesn't move by hand when turned off. I guess you get what you pay for. We'll see how long it lasts.

View attachment 206196
Looking good there! Have you decided how to paint it yet? Were you able to get the colors you wanted?

Looking good there! Have you decided how to paint it yet? Were you able to get the colors you wanted?
No haven't decided on the colours yet sorry. Guess I'm leaving it to last. It will be my first body I've painted (not counting the Capra because that was easy). Maybe white and light grey??
or Corsa Gray??

Last edited:
No haven't decided on the colours yet sorry. Guess I'm leaving it to last. It will be my first body I've painted (not counting the Capra because that was easy). Maybe white and light grey??
or Corsa Gray??
Well, The first body I painted was also a bug. I stuck with a solid color scheme since it was my first and did a spaz stix color changing thing. I still like the brighter colors on a bug. Actually I like the brighter colors on an RC in general. The last one I just did was yellow and that made it extremely easy to see for my aging eyes lol.

Have you thought about a metallic or sparkly paint? if you want to stick with a light color, they have a pearl white that’s quite beautiful. Give it a little bit of sparkle in the sun…

Well, The first body I painted was also a bug. I stuck with a solid color scheme since it was my first and did a spaz stix color changing thing. I still like the brighter colors on a bug. Actually I like the brighter colors on an RC in general. The last one I just did was yellow and that made it extremely easy to see for my aging eyes lol.

Have you thought about a metallic or sparkly paint? if you want to stick with a light color, they have a pearl white that’s quite beautiful. Give it a little bit of sparkle in the sun…
Haven't ruled out anything. I like metallics. Not a fan of reds and yellows.

Rebuilt the front shocks. New seals and oil. Fitted alloy pivot balls.
Rears shock shafts are bent so need to order parts.

20220315_135244.jpg

Front shocks in.

20220315_162314.jpg

Electronics in

20220315_162139.jpg

Just realised I have the wrong skidplates for the SCT bumpers. More parts to order 🤦‍♂️$$

Last edited:
My wife has made the final decision of the paint scheme since I couldn't make up my mind.

Herbie-50th-anniversary-featured-620x316.jpg

Herbie the love bug. Pearl white with red, white and blue strips. Only it will be a baja style love bug.

Her late father was named Herbie so I'm not going to go against her idea.
Making progress(y)
A Beetle looks good in any paint scheme IMO.
Will it be for offroad or onroad?
View attachment 206383View attachment 206384
Will it be
Off road

Stole the rear springs from my Typhon for now.

20220316_105212.jpg

So this build will be on hold for 2 weeks as I returning to work. Will get some parts order in the meantime. Thanks for following the build so far.

Just ordered these.

20220316_105656.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back