Warby's Rocky BRCC build log

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warby

"Hurry up and wait"
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. ADX-10
  2. BigRock 4x4
  3. Limitless
  4. Kraton 6s
  5. Senton 3s
  6. Senton Mega
  7. Typhon 3s
  8. Typhon 6s
  9. Infraction 4x4
So I know the Big Rock Crew Cab is no new model and I'm sure my mods and upgrades are old news, been there done that, got the t-shirt etc etc.

But I'm doing this build log anyway. Because I want too and I never did one for my Kraton 6s. Also this is my first 1/10 scale and 3s so I'm still getting to know it, all its weak points and its characteristics. So please follow me as I learn from my mistakes and also learn from all you smart persons on this awesome forum.

? Introducing my BRCC named ? ............ ROCKY (don't laugh)

20191122_093349.jpg

I ordered it for my birthday in November. Some may have seen it in the " what did you buy today" thread and will know that it did a tour of Australia before arriving 11 days late when it was originally posted from only 1 and a half hours away from where I live.

So I bought it for its long wheel base and just because it was the cheapest 3s on eBay in Aus at the time of sale. I did have thoughts of converting it into a Typhon one day if I didn't like it's HCG but I'm not sure. I'll run it as a BRCC for a while.

Ok so the mods started straight away. First up I ordered a spare chassis.
20191122_093956.jpg

Then the 7kg servo was ripped straight out (and then straight back in but that's another story). The 15kg from my Kraton was fitted for now but I have a 25kg DS servo on ordered.

20191122_114249.jpg
20191202_205322.jpg

Next up I changed out the battery connections to anti-spark XT90 and I was happy with how they turned out considering its the first rc connectors I've replaced.
20191122_121659.jpg

Next some cable management as I didn't like how the motor wire were loose in there hanging off the motor. Good old cable ties to the rescue.
20191124_132406.jpg
20191124_132356.jpg

Fitted the motor fan from a 4s thanks to Jenny's Rc. Yet to be connected. It also came with a spare heatsink and motor mount/gearbox case. It's summer here now and gets hot. I've fitted fans to all my motors as preventive maintenance .
20191125_122543.jpg

I drilled holes in the chassis under the large gear to allow sand to escape as it was getting stuck in the teeth of my son's Senton and making bad noises. It seemed to help so I will be doing the same to mine.
20191124_151326.jpg

I have done more and will do more and will post more later. Thanks for reading so far ???

Attachments

• 20191122_093349.jpg
    20191122_093349.jpg
    355.1 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
I also went with the BRCC as my first Arrma, great truck and seems like the best value in the 3s line-up.

Have you considered a new bumper?
I replaced the stock bumper with a T-Bone unit before I broke it.

I drilles holes in the chassis under the large gear to allow sand to escape as it was getting stuck in the teeth of my son's Senton and making bad noises. It seemed to help so I will be doing the same to mine.
20191124_151326.jpg

Is it only for me or your input gear axle look like plastic? EDIT : Oh, ok it is your son's senton.

I love the BRCC. Think about the HR 17mm hex adapters with the 10mm offset and some 2.8 Badlands. It will transform the truck for sure ???

Already ordered ?

My initial thoughts and future plans for the BRCC:

I was surprised by how thick and solid the body is compared to my V3 Kraton 6s and Senton. But will probably reinforce it anyway.

The power was a surprise too. I was not expecting much from 3s, being use to my 6s. I thought it would be a little more powerful that my sons mega but I was wrong, it's a little rippa. Wheelies all day. So much fun.

The handling is a bit ?. It needs some work but I knew that before buying it from what I've read. It's a bit unstable on its wheel and likes to roll over like a dog. To fix this I will be relocating the ESC to mount directly to the chassis to lower a little weight. I have also ordered some Proline 10125-18 Badlands MX28 and 17mm hubs to widen its stance. I will also eventually order some HR 17mm extensions hubs.

10125-18_3_l.jpg

I'm very excited about this upgrade ???.

Thanks you everyone for the suggestions and info.

More to come?

While I'm getting use to its bad handling (not my bad driving?) I've put some thick clear gorilla tape on the roof and high points to prevent road rash. It won't last long ?.

20191125_122149.jpg

Replaced the plastic steering bushes with proper sealed bearings from Plaig Bearings. I have used a couple of their kits and I am happy with the quality so will order more and upgrade all eventually.
20191127_171351.jpg
20191127_171543.jpg

I also love how easy the 1/10 Arrma's are to work on.

Last edited:
I've read about people finding loose screws on their new Arrma's so checked ever single one but no loose screws found. ? Arrma. Actually the quality of the whole car was great. And no leaking shocks which I expecting too, as the Senton's shocks were leaking in the box.

On order, Hot Racing Aluminum 17mm Hubs with 10mm Offset. ???? I'm excited like a big kid. Merry Christmas to me.

20191203_194829.jpg

Last edited:
I've read about people finding loose screws on their new Arrma's so checked ever single one but no loose screws found. ? Arrma. Actually the quality of the whole car was great. And no leaking shocks which I expecting too, as the Senton's shocks were leaking in the box.

On order, Hot Racing Aluminum 17mm Hubs with 10mm Offset. ???? I'm excited like a big kid. Merry Christmas to me.

View attachment 56047
Just be sure to put a dab of blue thread lock on the black barrel nuts as they tend to back out. Also, don’t wrench them down too tight as I have snapped an axle off trying to ensure they didn’t back out again. That wasn’t fun drilling and tapping that barrel nut. Make sure to let the blue TL dry for 24 hours after assembly. I know it’s hard to do and sucks, but it is what you need to do in order for the TL to work.

Just be sure to put a dab of blue thread lock on the black barrel nuts as they tend to back out. Also, don’t wrench them down too tight as I have snapped an axle off trying to ensure they didn’t back out again. That wasn’t fun drilling and tapping that barrel nut. Make sure to let the blue TL dry for 24 hours after assembly. I know it’s hard to do and sucks, but it is what you need to do in order for the TL to work.

Thanks @jondilly1974 will do. ?

So I will be reinforcing the inside of the BRCC body with drywall tape and shoe glue before it gets damaged. But I don't want to do the whole thing for weight and cost reasons.
Could you long time Bigrock owners please share some photos of the wear points and cracking on the underside if the body.

RC photos only please. I don't want to see your bodies undercarriage or crack ??.

Santa arrived today. Pity I'm away. I'll have to wait another week.

IMG_0836.jpg
IMG_0838.jpg

IMG_0839.jpg

Can almost make out what's inside.

Is it only for me or your input gear axle look like plastic? EDIT : Oh, ok it is your son's senton.

Yes correct. That photo is my son's Senton and I do have some HD metal input axle to fit to it as I have plans for it also.

Last edited:
Build update:
just got home after 2 weeks at work. Got some goodies to unpack for my BRCC. Also just ordered a sealed bearings kit from Plaig Bearings. Now to find some one on one time with Rocky but will be hard over the busy Christmas period.

With parts that arrived: 25kg servo installed, motor fan connected. Now a long wait for the HotRacing hubs coming from New York before I can bolt up the new Pro-line MX28s.

20191213_143819.jpg

20191213_143800.jpg

In the meantime, a mock fitting.
20191213_144721.jpg

Oh and sporting the new AF decals ??

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back