Outcast Warm battery after running

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwblue00

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Like the title says......im using a 4s 5500mah 45C gensacearespammers Lipo and stock pinion in the truck. It concerns me on how warm the battery gets. I'm running on my front lawn (grass just cut). Doesn't seem to be any drivetrain binding. So I have to ask......is everyone who runs 4s Lipo experience this? If not then I may have to see if my LHS will allow me to return for a larger C rated Lipo.

Like the title says......im using a 4s 5500mah 45C gensacearespammers Lipo and stock pinion in the truck. It concerns me on how warm the battery gets. I'm running on my front lawn (grass just cut). Doesn't seem to be any drivetrain binding. So I have to ask......is everyone who runs 4s Lipo experience this? If not then I may have to see if my LHS will allow me to return for a larger C rated Lipo.
What temperature is considered "warm"? One person's warm is another person's normal. If its 100°F I wouldn't be too worried.

Well I did not hit it with a temp gun. However, I could hold it in my hand and it wouldn't burn me. But it was indeed warm. Just wondering if 45C isn't enough or gensacearespammers batteries C ratings are inflated a bit.

I try to stay at 50c or greater since that's what one of my trucks requires, and most of my batteries are gensacearespammers as well. It could be that the 45c is close to the lower limit and that's what causing the heat. But I you can hold them in your hand, I wouldn't be too concerned about it. I'm guessing it was around 80-85 degrees outside when you were running? If so, a 100 degree battery would feel warm but still be able to be held while it's only 15-20 degrees warmer.

Yeah.....it was a warm day, but not real hot. The battery wasn't warm to the touch it was warmer than that......if I had to guess.....id say it was 120-130 degrees warm. I'm just concerned that the life expectancy of the battery will be shortened or it could catch fire.

My SMC 7400mah 90C 2S lipo's come out of my outcast pretty warm after a run. Around 115-120F. I let them cool down to ambient before charging them again. It's been 80-85F out every day I've run my outcast so far since I got it 3 weeks ago. My esc thermal shut downs pretty much every time I run in grass, even with 14/50 gearing. Was thinking about getting a Hobbywing Max6 esc since it can flow more current than the stock esc to see if that helps.

My motor was running around 165F until I put a 40mm HW fan/heat sink on it. Now it runs around 130F.

My SMC 7400mah 90C 2S lipo's come out of my outcast pretty warm after a run. Around 115-120F. I let them cool down to ambient before charging them again. It's been 80-85F out every day I've run my outcast so far since I got it 3 weeks ago. My esc thermal shut downs pretty much every time I run in grass, even with 14/50 gearing. Was thinking about getting a Hobbywing Max6 esc since it can flow more current than the stock esc to see if that helps.

My motor was running around 165F until I put a 40mm HW fan/heat sink on it. Now it runs around 130F.

Yeah.....the esc doesn't get to the thermal, but I did go back to my lhs and they returned that battery. I picked up a 7500mah 100C battery. This should hopefully help.

I'm going to try some smaller/lighter tires. I'm running proline 3.8" trenchers on it at the moment. I have some traxxas 3.8" chevrons on 1/2" offset rims and traxxas 3.8" t-maxx tires on 0 offset rims. Will try the 0 offset first. I don't think they are very well balanced though, but will find out.

I run in concrete skate parks 60% of the time and am pretty sure the stock tires won't last long on that, which is why I ran the trenchers. They have a decent contact patch and tall sidewalls for adding cushion to landings. 40% of the time, I'm in grass.

Trying to find the gearing/setup that works for both without having to take different tires just to run in the lawn.

2018-0726-ProlineTrencher3.8-ArrmaDBoots.jpg

The ones on the right are what I'll try:
2017-1025-ProlineTrencher3.8-TraxxasMaxx3.3-TRA4973.jpg

I'm going to try some smaller/lighter tires. I'm running proline 3.8" trenchers on it at the moment. I have some traxxas 3.8" chevrons on 1/2" offset rims and traxxas 3.8" t-maxx tires on 0 offset rims. Will try the 0 offset first. I don't think they are very well balanced though, but will find out.

I run in concrete skate parks 60% of the time and am pretty sure the stock tires won't last long on that, which is why I ran the trenchers. They have a decent contact patch and tall sidewalls for adding cushion to landings. 40% of the time, I'm in grass.

Trying to find the gearing/setup that works for both without having to take different tires just to run in the lawn.

That was going to be my next question. Does the motor mount allow me to go smaller on the pinion? Like 10t or 11 t pinions? Thanks!

I'm guessing with stock tires and 50C+ lipo's, you should be fine. As long as your not trying to plow through grass/weeds that are 12" tall for 20 minutes.

My SMC 4s come out of the Tekno about 135 Fahrenheit. 6s comes out of the Kraton 125 degrees. I have two dead SMC batteries.

I was also wondering if there was a lighter tire wheel combo. Seems that the market is limited on tire manufacturers. Meaning that your only options are mounted duratrax, mounted proline, and mounted traxxas. I was looking for more of a standard bead like Rpm or we racing uses.

I was also wondering if there was a lighter tire wheel combo. Seems that the market is limited on tire manufacturers. Meaning that your only options are mounted duratrax, mounted proline, and mounted traxxas. I was looking for more of a standard bead like Rpm or we racing uses.
Yeah, many run the buggy style bead vs the old MT type bead. I think the buggy style makes them less prone to being cut when jumping a lot. The old MT style rim liked to cut the sidewalls when landing on a hard surface.

This is the battery that the hobby shop says should be up to the task.

Attachments

• 20180821_133843.jpg
    20180821_133843.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 78
I mainly run mine in a cut grass environment and my batteries get up around 100F-110F. I use Onyx, Hobby Star and Power Hobby batteries. They all run around the same temp for me. I always check them when I'm done running the truck.

I know this doesn't pertain to the conversation but my motor almost always gets to thermal shutdown when driving. Can you send me the link the the motor you are using??? Thanks

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back