Warning!! Post is kinda long and video is too long.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grumpy Old Man RC

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Well, I’m still learning to drive my Kraton with mixed results and I’m trying to make a few videos and edit them and that seems to be way hard for me to learn, but I’m not giving up just yet.

I got some footage on my new Akaso Brave6 action camera on a head strap and cobbled it together and somehow made a video. The hard part was cutting out all the grunting, groaning and wheezing and not a little bit of bad language where I had to get up and put the truck upright again.

It is still a sorta long, boring video but since it is my first real attempt at editing, I’m thinking it’s not too bad.
No music or dazzling intro graphics because I haven’t figured that part out yet.

I want to offer some advice to some of you that may have thought or are still thinking that making, editing and posting YouTube videos is hard to learn, you are correct but if I can do it so can you.
Just jump in and go for it.

I feel stupid sitting in my back yard talking to myself, but I’ve figured out that that isn’t what I’m really doing, I’m actually talking to the people that stumble onto my videos and that makes it seem not so bad. My neighbors might call the men in their clean white coats sometime.

So far, I’ve been putting up just raw footage and only listing it as “unlisted” but this one went “public” around 10:00pm EDT Wednesday.

If you care to watch, here is the link but feel no obligation either way.

I’ve watched enough YT videos to know what I need to do to make these a better experience but right now I don’t have the knowledge, but I am learning.

Oh, BTW the GOM stands for Grumpy Old Man and I am definitely grumpy, just ask anyone that actually knows me.
There is a reason for this, but I won’t get into that for now.

Hi @Charles1955. You're absolutely right about how difficult it is to film, edit and post videos. I got some great advice from some other forum members that I'm going to pass on. Keep the videos short. 3 to 5 minutes is about the average time span that you can keep people interested. When filming, that means taking the time to start and stop recording, so that you don't have to try to edit down 20 to 30 minutes of video. You will always have your original to go back and watch yourself, but viewers want short, sweet and to the point. So if you plan on recording a 30 minute session, you can post 5 or 6 short videos, instead of one long one. It's easier to edit shorts as well. With time, you can start to add slo mo, maybe some music, and titles to your videos. The biggest hurdle is already cleared, taking the time to start recording videos. Keep it up, cause we all want to see what you have in store.

Great work so far. One thing to keep in mind is setting up in a way where you are as close to the action as possible.
I myself would like to learn more about editing, but have a hard time dedicating enough time for it, so I try to keep my videos short and to the point.

Keep it up, we all like to watch videos of these crazy Arrma vehicles, and what they are capable of!

-Liberty

I keep mine under 5 minutes usually. I record the full pack from start to finish, then edit it down. My wife got me a 128GB card for my hero5, that with a couple extra batteries (and usb charger in my car), I record a lot. On average, 50-60GB worth at 120fps 1080p, 4-6 videos depending on where I ran and when I broke stuff beyond field repair. I usually make one video per truck per location that's <5 minutes long. I try not to do too many slow mo's as that gets old, fast. Some of the really gnarly landings I slow down, or the really nice crisp jumps with the right light.

I tried adding music to a few, but youtube ends up dumping the audio entirely because of copyright infringement. Since I don't want to keep the source around to rebuild the video, I just quit adding music. I figure if someone wants music... they can turn their own on. Maybe they don't do that anymore? Or maybe I just pick music that has really fussy labels/bands about using it. Either way, I like hearing the engines/motors/landings more than music anyway. 95% of my videos ends up being something I want to watch, which are the jumps and crashes. I do my best to not have the same jump back to back to back as that gets old too.

Recording/downloading/editing/uploading is now as much a part of the hobby for me as is filling up my nitro bottles and charging packs. It's just something I do now.

There is a way to check on YouTube of there is a restriction on a song. You have to use the classic editor though.

Also, I can appreciate anyone who takes the time to make a video. It's a lot of work unless you just set your camera down in a fixed position and drive by it now and again, lol. Those videos blow like Revo diffs!

Hi @Charles1955. You're absolutely right about how difficult it is to film, edit and post videos. I got some great advice from some other forum members that I'm going to pass on. Keep the videos short. 3 to 5 minutes is about the average time span that you can keep people interested. When filming, that means taking the time to start and stop recording, so that you don't have to try to edit down 20 to 30 minutes of video. You will always have your original to go back and watch yourself, but viewers want short, sweet and to the point. So if you plan on recording a 30 minute session, you can post 5 or 6 short videos, instead of one long one. It's easier to edit shorts as well. With time, you can start to add slo mo, maybe some music, and titles to your videos. The biggest hurdle is already cleared, taking the time to start recording videos. Keep it up, cause we all want to see what you have in store.
Yeah, I knew it was too long and thanks for the tips. This was my first attempt to actually edit anything and I wanted it long because I figured if I could do a long one, a short one would be a piece of cake.

Yeah, I knew it was too long and thanks for the tips. This was my first attempt to actually edit anything and I wanted it long because I figured if I could do a long one, a short one would be a piece of cake.
I enjoyed it. Just listening to you talk was worth the price of admission! Tumbly wumby!

Great work so far. One thing to keep in mind is setting up in a way where you are as close to the action as possible.
I myself would like to learn more about editing, but have a hard time dedicating enough time for it, so I try to keep my videos short and to the point.

Keep it up, we all like to watch videos of these crazy Arrma vehicles, and what they are capable of!

-Liberty
I plan to move my sitting spot. I'm VERY non mobile and have to sit to do most everything. I have another hobby that I really enjoy and have to sit while making things go BANG!
Wish I could follow my RC around but if I tried that, someone would need to come and upright me. I have no self up-righting switch.

I keep mine under 5 minutes usually. I record the full pack from start to finish, then edit it down. My wife got me a 128GB card for my hero5, that with a couple extra batteries (and usb charger in my car), I record a lot. On average, 50-60GB worth at 120fps 1080p, 4-6 videos depending on where I ran and when I broke stuff beyond field repair. I usually make one video per truck per location that's <5 minutes long. I try not to do too many slow mo's as that gets old, fast. Some of the really gnarly landings I slow down, or the really nice crisp jumps with the right light.

I tried adding music to a few, but youtube ends up dumping the audio entirely because of copyright infringement. Since I don't want to keep the source around to rebuild the video, I just quit adding music. I figure if someone wants music... they can turn their own on. Maybe they don't do that anymore? Or maybe I just pick music that has really fussy labels/bands about using it. Either way, I like hearing the engines/motors/landings more than music anyway. 95% of my videos ends up being something I want to watch, which are the jumps and crashes. I do my best to not have the same jump back to back to back as that gets old too.

Recording/downloading/editing/uploading is now as much a part of the hobby for me as is filling up my nitro bottles and charging packs. It's just something I do now.
My videos will not have any jumping for awhile so they will be mostly boring to watch for most people. I can barely control the truck when it is on the ground.
You are correct in that the recording/editing is fun when you actually get it right.
There is a lot of non-copyrighted music available and I saw it on YT somewhere I got lost to last night. Hopefully I'll stumble across it again.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back