Typhon Warped Diff Cup

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Senton 6s
  4. Typhon 6s
Spent all afternoon wrenching on my Typhon 6s trying to figure out what's causing my center diff to heat up. After only a 2-3 mins run, my center diff heated up to 127F, while motor was still at 82F. Brought the rig back home and found a bad bearing on the front right hub. Replaced that and went out again. Something still doesn't feel right so I checked temps again and found the center diff is still heating up.

This time I did a full tear down and after an hour or so of frustration testing different things, found the front diff binding between the pinion and main gear. Thought it was the bearings supporting the pinion so replaced them both but it's still binding. Tested the pinion and main gear on a different diff housing and it's still binding. Finally pinpointed it to the diff cup. So what I think happened was that the bad bearing caused the diff to heat up which caused the diff cup to warp. Didn't have that issue in the center diff because I've an Arrma metal cup there.

The bearing was from a TRB Racing set and relatively new - probably about 10 packs all on dry pavement. So lesson learned, will probably stick with Jims or Fast Eddy in the future. I'll also upgrade the front and rear diff cups to the Arrma metal one once they come back in stock.

IMG_3189.jpg

IMG_3190.jpg

IMG_3191.jpg

I don't think the problem was the bearing. The steel insert in the diff case/cup is not centric to the diff gear driveline. Failure due to heat. I have completely melted a center diff case with temps over 250F. The steel insert actually blew out. The oil became like black tar. The gears were buried in melted plastic. That steel insert is known to separate and cause the issue you described. Its a slow death as the steel insert goes off center. Usually you will see diff oil leaking if you catch it in time before you brick the gears.
I use TRB, FE and other bearings. They are all pretty much a mixed bag and a failed one can happen no matter the brand. :cool:

I don't think the problem was the bearing. The steel insert in the diff case/cup is not centric to the diff gear driveline. Failure due to heat. I have completely melted a center diff case with temps over 250F. The steel insert actually blew out. The oil became like black tar. The gears were buried in melted plastic. That steel insert is known to separate and cause the issue you described. Its a slow death as the steel insert goes off center. Usually you will see diff oil leaking if you catch it in time before you brick the gears.
I use TRB, FE and other bearings. They are all pretty much a mixed bag and a failed one can happen no matter the brand. :cool:

Iike this? ??

20200514_153827.jpg

Last edited:
I can understand a center diff melting on 6S, but it was odd that this happened on my front diff. Plus, the internal gears on the front were still fine. I actually only replaced the diff case and reused all of the gears. The center diff though was a different story. Exactly like you said, the diff fluid became like black tar; however, the diff case itself was fine as I was using an Arrma metal diff case in the center. In any event, I really like the Arrma metal diff case, so that'll likely be a worthy upgrade for me in the front and rear as well.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back