Typhon ( Wash Me )

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpinRush_C1

Military Veteran
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 6s
OMG! I had a blast today! Now this thing is so dirty. A few questions.
How waterproof is this thing? Can I take it in the shower? What areas do I need to avoid?
What kind of oil should I get for the transmission parts? The wheel areas got caked with soft dirty.
I’ve got my work cut out for me.

I watched this guy’s video and he completely hosed down his Typhon. Is this alright?

A15188C1-643B-473B-9EAA-9312640942B9.jpeg
500417B3-B3C4-40C5-8BBF-B2872F809709.jpeg
8BAABC83-BD89-49A9-AAAB-481CF16EF2C2.jpeg

Last edited:
Damn. The ground seemed rock solid dry to me. Look at this chocolate cake.
A40E2CB0-6AEF-4D7C-AA6C-04FAB23527A6.jpeg
CF9CA59A-62AE-40AB-927D-BA8726389C20.jpeg
053BEB69-07DB-40EA-AD6B-9065170C17AD.jpeg

Round 2 - Got all the crap off the wheels. Unfortunately, I can hear something inside one of the wheels. Might be sand or debris. There’s something in there when I give that tire a good shake. How did anybody deal with this?

Rip bearings personally my main reason when i clean my rc i dissasemble it to bits and trow everything into the bad tub and wash manually because your bearings going to rust out and seize same for the motor and screws no matter how sealed they are i bet the outside of the bearing is not and your pinion and spur are going to become orange like mine did
I avoid water at all cost my esc started fking up last time i went trought snow started to work again but decided to warranty it just for safety
Round 2 - Got all the crap off the wheels. Unfortunately, I can hear something inside one of the wheels. Might be sand or debris. There’s something in there when I give that tire a good shake. How did anybody deal with this?
Did you vent your tires? If not your tires might be done

Rip bearings personally my main reason when i clean my rc i dissasemble it to bits and trow everything into the bad tub and wash manually because your bearings going to rust out and seize same for the motor and screws no matter how sealed they are i bet the outside of the bearing is not and your pinion and spur are going to become orange like mine did
I avoid water at all cost my esc started fking up last time i went trought snow started to work again but decided to warranty it just for safety

Did you vent your tires? If not your tires might be done
I did not vent my tires. Not sure what that would entail. I rinsed them. I made sure not to squeeze them. I was gentle with a brush. After doing that, I used compressed air to blow more stuff away. Then I used a heat gun to evaporate water droplets.

I have not washed the car yet. I’m waiting for intelligent responses on this topic. The only thing I’ve done so far is take off the wheels and gave them a good warm water, little soap cleaning, w/ a bristle brush.

Should I tape off my ESC? I can do that. Or should I just remove it altogether?

Also, what lubricants should I purchase? I’ve been watching YT videos for the past hour. ”How to clean your R/C Car”.“How to lubricate your R/C car”. I’m shocked that not one single person has mentioned or compared lubricant brands.

I KNOW NOT TO USE WD-40. THIS IS UNDERSTAND. I have no idea what lubricants I should buy. I’m not afraid to give this car a good hosing down, but I had better be ready to lubricant essential parts after doing so.

So come on big boys. Tell what lube you use! I want to get everything nice and slick.

How dirty is the inside of the chassis? The wheels look like they were the worst?

When I need to clean my wheels and they aren’t vented I tape up the holes on the inside of the wheel and scrub and wash them in the sink with a brush soap and warm water.

If the Chassis is real bad, I disassemble and wash everything separate in the sink. To do this, I remove the diffs and bearings and set them aside, wash everything else under water and dry. Then, I use brake cleaner on the bearings and then dry them. Then reapply grease and put it all back together.

If the rest of the Typhon looks as the rear arm does in the pics I would just hit it with compressed air to blow the majority of loose fort away and then fill a bowl or bucket with some hot water and degreaser, dip a paint styl brush in and start scrubbing the whole thing. Then have a rinse bowl/bucket with a rag and use it to wipe off the cleaned areas to remove the degreaser. Hit it with air to dry and spray some interior protectant that you use on your car on it and use another brush to work it in all the crevices and then buff off with a towel.

As for your current tires, vent them and then remount them and spin them to sling the water out. Then just wait to see if they dry out. Hopefully the foams aren’t shot.

I use Moo-Slick to lube the bearings. I used to spray the whole thing down (excluding electronics) with it but I have switched to 303 Aerospace Protectant and Griots Garage Leather conditioner.

Those tires need vented ASAP. Next run could destroy them if not vented. All that water and mud is now inside the tire. The only way out now is venting them. Once you have them vented, take it outside and put it up on a block and run it at medium speed until it stops flying out of them. This is going to spray mud all over the area where you do this, so don’t do this nearby anything you don’t want covered in mud.

I did not vent my tires. Not sure what that would entail. I rinsed them. I made sure not to squeeze them. I was gentle with a brush. After doing that, I used compressed air to blow more stuff away. Then I used a heat gun to evaporate water droplets.

I have not washed the car yet. I’m waiting for intelligent responses on this topic. The only thing I’ve done so far is take off the wheels and gave them a good warm water, little soap cleaning, w/ a bristle brush.

Also, what lubricants should I purchase? I’ve been watching YT videos for the past hour. ”How to clean your R/C Car”.“How to lubricate your R/C car”. I’m shocked that not one single person has mentioned or compared lubricant brands.

I KNOW NOT TO USE WD-40. THIS IS UNDERSTAND. I have no idea what lubricants I should buy. I’m not afraid to give this car a good hosing down, but I had better be ready to lubricant essential parts after doing so.

So come on big boys. Tell what lube you use! I want to get everything nice and slick.
To vent your tires would mean adding a couple of small holes directly in the center of the tread, about 180 degrees apart. Then you would seal the holes on the inside of the rim with Gorilla or duct tape. By doing this, every time your wheels spin fast, they expel all the water and debris from inside the tire. As far as washing, rinse the truck off with a hose running lightly. Avoid splashing directly on the electronics. With your compressor, blow off as much as you can first. Any silicone based lubricating spray will work to give the articulating points a quick blast. I give all areas a quick shot of WD40 after I rinse it. This helps to get water out of places it doesn't belong. It's not a lubricant, but it does have its place in the rc world.

Venting the tires is a must if you run on wet surfaces it makes everything eho gets inside the tire come out immedietly and not damaging the foam inside. If water spends too much time inside the tire it will cause a lot of vibration and unbalance and damage your foam and when that is done your tire is done
If you know how centrifugal force works imagine that inside your tire with water
To vent your tires would mean adding a couple of small holes directly in the center of the tread, about 180 degrees apart. Then you would seal the holes on the inside of the rim with Gorilla or duct tape. By doing this, every time your wheels spin fast, they expel all the water and debris from inside the tire. As far as washing, rinse the truck off with a hose running lightly. Avoid splashing directly on the electronics. With your compressor, blow off as much as you can first. Any silicone based lubricating spray will work to give the articulating points a quick blast. I give all areas a quick shot of WD40 after I rinse it. This helps to get water out of places it doesn't belong. It's not a lubricant, but it does have its place in the rc world.
I never used wd40 only for cleaning bearing when people tel me to spray wd40 on bearings after running on water never made sense to me because it can damage rubber and destroy the oil/grease inside the bearing
Yeah maybe on screws and arm pins when i think about it

Bearing oil to marine grease anything that is clear and not thick enough is good for bearings
I personally started using all purpose grease its a bit more thick than marine grease and seems to do a better job in my diffs so i switched for that in my last rebuild

Last edited:
Those tires need vented ASAP. Next run could destroy them if not vented. All that water and mud is now inside the tire. The only way out now is venting them. Once you have them vented, take it outside and put it up on a block and run it at medium speed until it stops flying out of them. This is going to spray mud all over the area where you do this, so don’t do this nearby anything you don’t want covered in mud.
@jondilly1974. Well, it’s a bit late. As of this message, it’s the next day. When I shake the tires, I don’t hear anything inside. When I washed the tires last night, I simply splashed water over the tires. To get that gunk / chocolate ice cream that was stuck on the inside I used chopsticks and toothpicks to poke through the rim holes. Finally, I went to the shower with a bucket and used direct bursts of spray to get out the residual stuff.

After that, I moved over to my work station and used my Hakko HeatGun to evaporate all the water. They seem fine, but I’ll order a new set of tires and consider it a hard lesson learned.

Any tire recommendations? I want something that is not going to catch so much mud. That ground I was on yesterday seemed dry. I’m still editing the video.

Never too late to vent them. Still do it.
Okay, I’ll run off to the hardware store now. What size drill bit do you normally use? The video I watched said I should make 3 holes. Also, I need something to seal the center holes? You know what. I’ll just take the tire with me.

Most use 3/16 brass, copper, ect. tubing to drill a clean hole in the center of the tread and use gorilla/duct tape (1/2” square piece) to seal the hole in the rim.

Just came back from my local home center ( Home Depot Equivalent ). I hope I picked up the right stuff.
Parts and Brake Cleaner
Extra Oil Spray
2 Brushes
Power Tape ( Same type used for tents and water hoses )
??? Small Drill Bit 6.3mm ??? ( Tire Vents ). Not sure if it’s the best size though.

They don’t have Simple Green here. I’ll have to use something else.
53F4B2DC-079F-43E3-A4A8-DCFB0B00C000.jpeg
C26B9C70-AFB2-4909-AFF3-6B48FAC989E4.jpeg

Just came back from my local home center ( Home Depot Equivalent ). I hope I picked up the right stuff.
Parts and Brake Cleaner
Extra Oil Spray
2 Brushes
Power Tape ( Same type used for tents and water hoses )
??? Small Drill Bit 6.3mm ??? ( Tire Vents ). Not sure if it’s the best size though.

They don’t have Simple Green here. I’ll have to use something else.
View attachment 58830View attachment 58831
I don't know if I'd use a drill bit to vent tires. Instead of a clean hole it might leave jagged edges that could lead to a torn tire under speed. Try using some kind of tube, maybe brass. I use a piece of antenna from an old 27mhz radio. Works great.
20190503_123740.jpg

A drill bit could snag and rear the rubber if your drill isn’t fast enough. At minimum heat that bit as hot as you can if you intend on using it with a drill.

I think you’re good to go! I’ve never used a drill bit to vent the tires so I can’t comment on that. Seems like it will work but it may not leave a clean hole?

I think you’re good to go! I’ve never used a drill bit to vent the tires so I can’t comment on that. Seems like it will work but it may not leave a clean hole?
At low speeds, a cold drill bit will grab the rubber instead of cutting it. Been there, done that. A sharp piece of brass tubing works the best for me. I usually put four holes in my larger tires. Two or three in smaller ones.

I don't know if I'd use a drill bit to vent tires. Instead of a clean hole it might leave jagged edges that could lead to a torn tire under speed. Try using some kind of tube, maybe brass. I use a piece of antenna from an old 27mhz radio. Works great. View attachment 58832
I'm glad I'm not the only one using an old antenna to vent tires.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back