Kraton Water-cooled XL Kraton

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bought these nicely machines diff lockers and just got them in! Going to try them out in all 3 diffs. If the front scrubs too much when I turn on pavement (not that I do a lot of on road stuff but still) then I’ll leave the center and rear locked and do limited slip in the front. Gotta try all 3 first! Also going to cut down drill bits for the cup pins in the diff and the pins in the hubs will be getting cut down drill bits as well. Drivetrain Should be pretty minus the cup and driveshaft pin wear but that will last longer than these diffs lol. I’ll keep you guys posted. Should be getting some bashing video soon to see how well the cooling system holds up on some jumps!

image.jpg

Pretty solid minus***

Last edited:
So I hate to say it but I’ve pretty much given up on the 23 tooth pinion gear today lol. I think I set a new record for fastest diff blown ever….3 minutes haha 😅😭 been dealing with nothing but drive train issue these past couple weeks now that Im running it. I’ve had to build all 3 diffs. We found out I had different diff hearing in the front and rear diffs cause I bought the truck from my brother and he forgot he had put the different tooth count in the front or rear can’t remember which one 😅 though we had her nailed but nope blew the rear today in 3 minutes lol but boy was she scootin in the time it was working haha. It’s just too much sauce unless I start shimming the diff and pinion to get better bite but that will only fix the pinion to ring gear stripping issue which I’ve experienced in these past couple weeks lol. I’ve also broken the gears inside the diff so that’s kinda where I was going with the lockers. I only put a locker in the center and she’s radical as hell! Hard to keep front tires on the ground I can’t imagine what it would be with all 3 diffs locked so I may or may not keep the locker or try the other 2 and shim the pinion and diff housing idk. Right now I’m gonna rebuild the rear that blew and probably just gear down to a 16 tooth or so and try that lol. Just because I can run the 23 tooth and not worry about hitting thermal doesn’t mean I should I suppose 🤣🤣 23 tooth showed me the cooling system works well so that’s all I wanted to know. Also since we figured out the hearing in the front and rear were different I’m pulling a lot less amps now so that’s pretty awesome, definitely happy about that! Data logger said 240 amps at 80% throttle and 36,000 rpm 😮. The funny thing is I haven’t had any issues with the cooling system lol no leaks no breaks I’ve flipped the truck twice just diff issues lol haven’t gotten any good jumps in yet but ya still impressed on the cooling system durability thus far! I will gear her down and get a bash video here soon hopefully with some nice jumps stay tuned fellas! Also does anyone know if someone makes tougher gears for the diffs? Or is shimming and gearing down the only answer I have ???

Adding to the last post about how the gearing got mixed up in the front and rear, my brother geared the front and rear ring and pinion up then I bought it blew a diff and put the stock ring in not knowing he had changed them to the higher ratio ones

Just to be clear, it was never ran with the same gearing front and rear? And you don't know which had the higher gearing when it was different?
Originally it was run with the same gearing front and back until I stripped the first ring gear, then I went to hobby shop and got the stock ring gear for a kraton not knowing the pinions had been geared up so then I had different gearing in front and rear and we didn’t realize it until recently when I put the locker in the center diff. But before I put the locker in the center diff I had already rebuilt all 3 diffs because of failures. And didn’t notice any binding until I locked the center diff cause the center was slipping so the binding wasn’t happening. Locked the center and got binding that’s when my brother remembered he had geared the pinions and ring gears up before I bought it. Probably also why I melted 2 plastic center diff housings lol so that’s why we thought we had the drivetrain issues nailed geared front and rear the same with the appropriate pinions for the ring gears and left the center diff locked and in 3 minutes I stripped something in the rear lol. 2080 kv motor with 23 tooth pinion center diff lock and 7” tall tires is too much for the diffs apparently. Unless like I said I try shimming but then again I’ve broken gears and pins inside the diff twice now

Wow that sucks...kinda cool in a OVER POWERED way but sucks. LOL
Well on the bright side the cooling is holding up. Once you find the sweet spot between power and function you'll have a highly modified badass of a RC!

So the answer to your question is pretty much most of its driving life the front and rear have been geared differently since I stripped the first ring gear basically at the beginning of this build like the first couple runs is when I believe I changed the ring gear in one of the diffs cause it stripped
Wow that sucks...kinda cool in a OVER POWERED way but sucks. LOL
Well on the bright side the cooling is holding up. Once you find the sweet spot between power and function you'll have a highly modified badass of a RC!
Hahahah ya man thanks!! It is pretty awesome the cooling system was working as well as it did with all that extra load from the front and rear diffs fighting each other lol. Now we know why I was pulling 376 gut wrenching amps lol this las run at 80% throttle max amp draw was only 240 which is wayyyy better Hahahha

Hello to my people again! Sorry I haven’t updated in a while I’ve been hella busy! My brother slapped some shims in my rear diff for me while I was working today and got the rear pinion and ring gear to mesh tighter and I got a nice 11 minute late afternoon run today before I sucked the battery dry! Making progress on the gear train for sure! I didn’t strip the ring gear in 5 minutes this time hahaha. Battery was about 1 volt from being topped off, all these amps sucking the battery dry fast lol I’ll be buying another pack to slap in there since I’ve slightly decreased my run time lol. Anyway here’s the data log from the run today ambient temp was in the lower 60s so that helped some for sure. This was basically a circle track run and straight runs up and down the field we have on short grass and some dirt patches. Only have 80% power out cause I have to finesse the throttle to keep the front end down from this 23 tooth pinion and center diff being locked she’s a radical bi*ch!! I grabbed a 21 tooth pinion from my brother today that I will try on the next run! Then just gotta get my shocks filled back up and see if I can stop the m2c shock caps from leaking and we will be hitting some jumps!

4B44DA25-D03E-4EA8-AD51-CACBEDBD70AB.jpeg

Took the truck out today for a quick speed run to see what it could do before I hear it down since it’s stupid fast and I hit 67 mph hahaha! Didn’t have a whole lot of room so I had to ramp it up kinda quick and the last 15% of throttle it was doing wheelies and I couldn’t keep the front end down 🤣 67mph wheelies are scary as h*ll!! If you didn’t know lol! Might try and find a bigger spot cause I’m pretty sure it will do 80 with how aggressive the wheelies were at 67. Nonetheless I’m gonna dear it down and try a 21 tooth since I can’t even use full throttle and maybe it won’t be so gnarly

1416B7C5-2959-4676-9154-B8610CEAE07C.png

Shimmed the rear diff and the pinion recently and finally that’s been holding up! Center diff is locked and doing well also! Stripped a couple teeth on the front diff ring gear so I’ll be shimming that pinion and diff together like the rear is and drivetrain might actually be golden and I can keep the 23 tooth! Even tho the front was a little stripped I got in some jumps yesterday! I bough fireteam shocks and put them on along with some trimmed old springs to double up and give me some more spring tension. So I went to our spot and got some 7-10 footers in and landed everything and coolant system held up perfectly so far! No leaks and still pumping water very very pleased wasn't ripping hard cause of the stripped front diff but was still able to get enough speed for some jumps and fly about 10 feet ! Can’t wait to hit the 30 footer again and see how she holds up hahah!! Pic is to show the fireteam black shocks!

4CE4B633-749C-4C9D-99C1-66255BC63A16.jpeg

Arrmadog says it's about to get real!

hello-i-keeping-real-name-tag-white-background-hello-i-keeping-real-name-tag-209707647.jpg
You know it son!!! Just wait this ones gonna be super clean my friends got more room with this one. I’ll make a 8s thread soon trying to get a little more progress first. Will also be posting in here a YouTube video of the water cooled xl kraton hitting some jumps!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back