Kraton Water-cooled XL Kraton

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this is defiantly cool, but does not seem economical.
Meaning what? The only test I’m unsure about is the durability of it. I’m gonna get some bashing in and see. It’s kinda obvious to me that something will likely break if it has a hard landing on its back or something like that but as far as jumping and landing regularly I believe it will hold up. I think the reservoir will be what breaks if it takes a hard fall on it’s back but nothing crazy. Everything is very securely mounted including the radiator and the lines (when I zip tie them)

i just don't understand why this is better than a heat sink and fan. but maybe you wanted a fun project? idk! but i applaud the work and exited for results.
It’s better because I’m literally building no heat on both the motor and the esc. Which means I can hear way up and not have to worry about heat and thermal cutout. I ran it the other night hard for 15 minutes (cause the battery was low) and the motor didn’t even get warm and the esc got to 104 degrees when ambient was 80 degrees so the esc only built 24 degrees lol it’s insanely better than fans and a heat sink it’s actually worlds better lol and thank you!
It’s better because I’m literally building no heat on both the motor and the esc. Which means I can hear way up and not have to worry about heat and thermal cutout. I ran it the other night hard for 15 minutes (cause the battery was low) and the motor didn’t even get warm and the esc got to 104 degrees when ambient was 80 degrees so the esc only built 24 degrees lol it’s insanely better than fans and a heat sink it’s actually worlds better lol and thank you!
I have a 18 tooth pinion on it now I’ll be putting a bigger one on soon probably a 23 and it will still likely build no heat. At this moment in time I’m essentially getting rid of all the heat the system builds it actually can’t really even build heat because of the water cooling.

I have a 18 tooth pinion on it now I’ll be putting a bigger one on soon probably a 23 and it will still likely build no heat. At this moment in time I’m essentially getting rid of all the heat the system builds it actually can’t really even build heat because of the water cooling.
I still think that you don't need a reservoir, would increase reliability significantly but by all means keep chugging away. One change at a time.
Agreed for sure on reliability and durability without a reservoir and I definitely don’t need it but like I said before I tried to delete it but it’s nearly impossible to get the system to prime without one because there’s no where for the air to go the reservoir allows the air to work through the system and then leave the system. Unless I could rig up some sort of inline bleeder fitting idk I’ll have to do some more thinking on that but for now I’m gonna run this during some bashing and see!
i just don't understand why this is better than a heat sink and fan. but maybe you wanted a fun project? idk! but i applaud the work and exited for results.
My brother and I run the poop out of these trucks and with the high gearing and far jumps and high speed passes through fields and grass we hit thermal cutout pretty easily so that’s why I’m doing this so I don’t have to worry about heat and I can essentially gear it up to whatever I want! I’m sure some people don’t run them nearly as hard and keep them on pavement and a fan and heat sink works for them but not us lol my brother can hit thermal cutout in his (similar setup) in about 10 minutes of running it hard

Last edited:
This is one sweet piece of engineering 👍

Me personally I wouldn’t have it on my car.
With bashing depending on your setup and where you drive, the car needs to be flogged around to get the running gear up to temp. With that comes risks of rollovers and crashes. With crashes comes potential for all that fluid to be sprayed around the electronics costing dollars in repairs.
I wouldn’t bash like i normally would with that liquid under the hood like that.
For me the juice is not worth the squeeze.

Last edited:
Just the trial and error and rethinking and redoing till it works is great to witness! The system is working great...If it breaks while bashing...back to the drawing board and fix the issue. Is it kinda extreme? Big time! Is it one of the hottest most intriguing builds around right now? HECK YES! (y)

This is one sweet piece of engineering 👍

Me personally I wouldn’t have it on my car.
With bashing depending on your setup and where you drive, the car needs to be flogged around to get the running gear up to temp. With that comes risks of rollovers and crashes. With crashes comes potential for all that fluid to be sprayed around the electronics costing dollars in repairs.
I wouldn’t bash like a normally would with that liquid under the hood like that.
For me the juice is not worth the squeeze.
Valid point but The only thing I’m really worried about at this point is the reservoir. I’m in search of a similar sized metal container cause I’m worried about the plastic reservoir during bashing. The radiator fans lines and water jackets are mounted very securely. (When everything is zip tied and secured) I’m entertaining building a support brace for the middle of the body the goes from the chassis to a plate above the reservoir or reinforcing the body to protect what’s under it. The only thing I’m worried about is a fall on the top side so if I can somehow make something to protect the reservoir and pump I’m gonna do it! But I’ll definitely be bashing it and let you guys know how she holds up! Maybe a metal cover that bolts to the support brace that will wrap around the pump and reservoir ?!! Idk but I’ll get it done I promise haha thanks for admiring the build sir !

Valid point but The only thing I’m really worried about at this point is the reservoir. I’m in search of a similar sized metal container cause I’m worried about the plastic reservoir during bashing. The radiator fans lines and water jackets are mounted very securely. (When everything is zip tied and secured) I’m entertaining building a support brace for the middle of the body the goes from the chassis to a plate above the reservoir or reinforcing the body to protect what’s under it. The only thing I’m worried about is a fall on the top side so if I can somehow make something to protect the reservoir and pump I’m gonna do it! But I’ll definitely be bashing it and let you guys know how she holds up! Maybe a metal cover that bolts to the support brace that will wrap around the pump and reservoir ?!! Idk but I’ll get it done I promise haha thanks for admiring the build sir !
Im not saying anything about what you just said.......

Just the trial and error and rethinking and redoing till it works is great to witness! The system is working great...If it breaks while bashing...back to the drawing board and fix the issue. Is it kinda extreme? Big time! Is it one of the hottest most intriguing builds around right now? HECK YES! (y)
Appreciate the kind and motivating words sir !!! I’m fully invested and loving every bit of it!! Can’t believe the motor didn’t even get warm to the touch and the esc only built 24 degrees over ambient temperature on my first run!! The fact it’s working so well has me even more motivated! I will make the system suitable for bashing mark my words!!!
Im not saying anything about what you just said.......
Damn did I reply to wrong person?!! Lol

Appreciate the kind and motivating words sir !!! I’m fully invested and loving every bit of it!! Can’t believe the motor didn’t even get warm to the touch and the esc only built 24 degrees over ambient temperature on my first run!! The fact it’s working so well has me even more motivated! I will make the system suitable for bashing mark my words!!!

Damn did I reply to wrong person?!! Lol
I quote " I’m in search of a similar sized metal container cause I’m worried about the plastic reservoir during bashing." 🤨 HAHAA

Maybe you could use some of that foam that they use on copper pipes for A/C’s to protect your lines.

She’s a little masterpiece you got going on there 🤙

I quote " I’m in search of a similar sized metal container cause I’m worried about the plastic reservoir during bashing." 🤨 HAHAA
Hahahahahhah oh ya dude hahahah ya yaaaaa I mean one that’s sealed and has a cap Lolol I don’t want to have to epoxy or make a cap for a motor can lol but ya I’m back on to what you were saying back to the metal reservoir after rethinking it you were right about going metal lol here’s your credit!!! 🙇‍♂️ 🙏
Maybe you could use some of that foam that they use on copper pipes for A/C’s to protect your lines.

She’s a little masterpiece you got going on there 🤙
Definitely an idea !! I think it is too glad we share the same thoughts about it! I’m loving it !

You won't have an air problem with the reservoir delete. You put a tee with a plug fitting where the reservoir used to be, and bleed all the air out. If there is no air, there are no bubbles, and no loss of prime. It becomes a closed system, no problems with inversion. No glued fittings to break. No spice cap to flip open and spill. Also, our RC electronics are already waterproofed with conformal coating from the factory, so no damage to components from failure.

You won't have an air problem with the reservoir delete. You put a tee with a plug fitting where the reservoir used to be, and bleed all the air out. If there is no air, there are no bubbles, and no loss of prime. It becomes a closed system, no problems with inversion. No glued fittings to break. No spice cap to flip open and spill. Also, our RC electronics are already waterproofed with conformal coating from the factory, so no damage to components from failure.
I literally tried exactly that and could not get it to prime had a dummy line coming off a t fitting and couldn’t get it to prime at all pump would not suck water in. I tried fitting it up through the dummy line and the water wouldn’t even go into the system cause the system was air bound and there was no where for the air to go. I would have to somehow fill each line up individually then put the line back on with fluid in it or maybe rig up some sort of bleeder fitting so the air could escape idk it was just a royal pain and I got no where with it but ya no reservoir would be ideal if I could figure out a good way to prime it I’m still thinking on that as well so it’s not off the idea board yet. The fittings I have now in the reservoir are threaded in with o-rings and are pretty solid but ya no reservoir would be great I would just have to find a easier way to prime it because if I have to service a diff (like I do now) and have to take the system apart I don’t want to be fighting with it to prime every time totally agree on no reservoir tho I literally have one just for ease of priming at this point

Found me a reservoir fellas ! Probably gonna use the clear top one for now cause I like seeing the water. I’ll go to the metal one if the polycarbonate one breaks but the polycarbonate one is said to be durable and impact resistant so I think it will work! Perfect size for the space I have on top of the cross brace too!

D0D7B801-4410-416B-83B5-821011E277C2.png

6FEE4FBE-88E0-48E5-9961-F1B08CF0DA5C.png

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back