Kraton Water-cooled XL Kraton

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Digging this build! If it works AWESOME! If not still awesome as putting thoughts and ideas out there is what makes any hobby (or anything for that matter) evolve and keep getting better and better. Good luck man I'm rooting for you! 🤙
I know I know that was a little deep. :ROFLMAO:
Haha hells ya dude I was thinking the same thing but it would be fruitless to do it with plastic reservoirs (I would think) I’ve been trying to dream up some sort of aluminum reservoir with cooling fins on it for either ambient air or putting a fan on it like you said! I was also probably going to run 2 fans on the water jackets that are on the motor and basically use them as a heat sink as well to help rid the heat from the water anyway and in as many ways as I can!
I

I’m also going to either run straight water with a cooling additive that helps is run cooler or run engine ice which is basically a coolant used for dirbikes and other alike off-road vehicles that already has the cooling agent mixed in and runs at cooler temps. Probably gonna try just water first to get a control temp then try engine ice and maybe straight water with the cooling agent in it and compare all 3 and see which runs at the coolest temp
Just my thoughts....a gutted and modded motor can would make a good reservoir AND be able to add heat sinks and fans. ikd maybe???

Last edited:
Digging this build! If it works AWESOME! If not still awesome as putting thoughts and ideas out there is what makes any hobby (or anything for that matter) evolve and keep getting better and better. Good luck man I'm rooting for you! 🤙
I know I know that was a little deep. :ROFLMAO:

Just my thoughts....a gutted and modded motor can would make a good reservoir AND be able to add heat sinks and fans. ikd maybe???
Haha oh WE IN DEEP WATER SON!! Hopefully deep cool water 🤣 That’s honestly not a bad idea at all except I don’t think we have motors laying around to gut which would entail me buying one just to gut 😅🤑 lol but that being said the housing is probably aluminum and would definitely act as a good heat sink with some fans on it and cool the water in the reservoir. Great idea for the times ahead! If this shows promising results once I get the rough draft going I’ll definitely be tweaking it and adding little things like a aluminum reservoir to whisk awake even more heat !

Haha oh WE IN DEEP WATER SON!! Hopefully deep cool water 🤣 That’s honestly not a bad idea at all except I don’t think we have motors laying around to gut which would entail me buying one just to gut 😅🤑 lol but that being said the housing is probably aluminum and would definitely act as a good heat sink with some fans on it and cool the water in the reservoir. Great idea for the times ahead! If this shows promising results once I get the rough draft going I’ll definitely be tweaking it and adding little things like a aluminum reservoir to whisk awake even more heat !
Glad you like the idea. Also, I know it would be a waste of $$$ but you could get a crappy motor online that would cost you pennies. imo

Glad you like the idea. Also, I know it would be a waste of $$$ but you could get a crappy motor online that would cost you pennies. imo
I’m definitely gonna look now lol cause I’ve literally been trying to think what I could use as far as a metal reservoir and that’s a perfect idea cause like you said they make heat sinks and fan mounts for the motors so it would be perfect !!

You can use large tubing as a reservoir as well, just need reducer sections to connect to your inlets.
They used that trick in Nascar to get more fuel into the system and last longer. Added benefit, it's flexible, and you can route as you please.

You can use large tubing as a reservoir as well, just need reducer sections to connect to your inlets.
They used that trick in Nascar to get more fuel into the system and last longer. Added benefit, it's flexible, and you can route as you please.
That’s good info! That’s one of the reasons I went with the bigger lines as much as I could so I can hold more volume! I’m sure I could have someone weld some caps on a piece of aluminum tubing and then I can just drill and tap it for fittings and slap some fans on it 🤔 that or the gutted motor housing.

I know youre being bombarded with ideas and not trying to drive you nuts but another thought is to look at computer parts for cooling. The gamer PC guys have some awesome cooling products that if small enough for a comp may be small enough for an rc. (heatsink tubing, mini "radiators" and so on).

I know youre being bombarded with ideas and not trying to drive you nuts but another thought is to look at computer parts for cooling. The gamer PC guys have some awesome cooling products that if small enough for a comp may be small enough for an rc. (heatsink tubing, mini "radiators" and so on).
No no I love the ideas keep them coming!! Definitely already on that train haha that’s where I got my radiator from and I think the pump is for small aquariums! The pc world definitely has some cool cooling components! 😎
THERE IT IS! (y)
Go ask EKWB for some custom stuff 😄
Who is this?! Website ? Full company name ?! I need answers!

That’s been done… eh @Hammer Down?

Every time I watch that video, I laugh so hard I just about fall down! 😂🤣😂

That 70S Show Lol GIF

You don't need a reservoir. Just bleed the system, cap it, and go. The radiator IS the reservoir.

Water wetter or additive will not make a difference on a system this small. Run straight water. It won't be in there long enough to cause problems.

I really want to know what your temps are, what your coolant temp is at the end of a run, and where the thermal saturation point is for your system!

That’s been done… eh @Hammer Down?

Bruh this is hilarious lol 🤣
You don't need a reservoir. Just bleed the system, cap it, and go. The radiator IS the reservoir.

Water wetter or additive will not make a difference on a system this small. Run straight water. It won't be in there long enough to cause problems.

I really want to know what your temps are, what your coolant temp is at the end of a run, and where the thermal saturation point is for your system!
Really you don’t think I could benefit from the extra capacity ?! It’s a genuine question, I come from truck mechanics so I’m sure things on the small scale are different I’m all ears!

Also that makes sense on the additives not even worth a try tho?? What about for science ?!! Lol yes me too definitely trying to find what point the water gets heat soaked and what the capability is of the radiator and the fans and to see what the motor temp tops out at

What about pressure from the heat and expansion of the water ? I was thinking I would have to make some sort of purge reservoir to allow for some expansion and pressure release no? I guess pc systems don’t have that or do they?

Last edited:
The extra coolant capacity is just a heat battery, and a heavy one at that. The idea isn't to store heat with extra coolant, what you want is to move heat via the radiator and get rid of it. You are using a flexible Tygon type tubing, which will handle any thermal expansion in your low-volume system. Keep it simple and easy to maintain. Remember, your car gets shaken up like that beer can your grinning buddy just handed you when you bash, so a bled system without air space (reservoir headspace) will survive the abuse without pump cavitation and stall, and boy do impeller pumps stall.

As far as chems go, knock yourself out (for science!). Be careful, you're going to get that stuff all over your car eventually, and you don't really know what's going to get eaten by the additives. A full scale car motor produces tens of kilowatts of heat, and a RC motor produces a couple of hundred at peak. A 5% improvement on the car's thermal efficiency is a lot of heat, but the same gain on the puny RC car system is single digits- so I argue the effort isn't worth it. Again, keeping it simple makes sense.

+1 on avoiding a coolant tank/revivor. I think keeping it much like a 1:1 car's cooling system is ideal.
I don't believe you would have any issues with expansion due to the flex in the lines and if temps got to 180+ you have other issues anyway...

Honestly I believe temps will be worse imho. Just a prediction based on what I see on boats.
Air flow around cans is pretty efficient in these designs, but only one way to find out 🤘

When taking temps, check the front and back of the motor, don't fall into the cooling mantle trap like a lot of folks do.
The water mantle is physically isolated with rubber gaskets and relies on water/air transmission.
If all works, it's an ok indicator, but it will misguide if there are issues in water circulation.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back