Outcast Waterproof........nope

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreadx

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
So I just got my outcast and was out on my 4th run. Against all logic I let my son drive it for a minute and he drove it into a creek. It was in about 8 inches of water for about 30 seconds. The servo is toast and the receiver box was full of water. The servo smells like burned electronics and is definitely toast. :(
20171224_111305.jpg

I've also noticed that the receiver box is only splash proof.
Most of the electronics in these are only splash proof and not meant to be submerged in water.

Yes, I totally agree. I think they should label them as water resistant. I mean I had no delusions and would never have intentionally submerged it but still, it does say "Waterproof". And this of course is not brand specific. I already have a new servo on the way and the receiver seems to be ok. Im looking forward to running this some more. Its the best RC truck I have ever owned. I really love it.

Yes, I totally agree. I think they should label them as water resistant. I mean I had no delusions and would never have intentionally submerged it but still, it does say "Waterproof". And this of course is not brand specific. I already have a new servo on the way and the receiver seems to be ok. Im looking forward to running this some more. Its the best RC truck I have ever owned. I really love it.
Castle is at least nice enough to mention that in their products description it states that even though they are listed as waterproof they are not meant to be fully submerged.

If it says waterproof on the box then they are using that as a selling point and should stand by it. I would ask for a warranty replacement. Fast and Tough ... they should stand by both. My opinion.

I agree but the warranty states plainly that water damage is not covered.

I just had water damage in my "water proof" v1 typhon! Almost had It fully submerged and the esc went out. Sent the esc to arrma along with the servo that was already damaged. Reciever a new bkx 185 esc and servo a week later. Just don't mention the word "water" is what I was told.

As far as the receiver box take the lid off put dieletric grease liberaly where the wires pass through. It's helps a lot

I think the idea is,

It's waterproof under "normal driving conditions"

According to arrma normal conditions could exclude everything but a light misting

Yup something can be listed as waterproof as long as it meets the minimum IPX1 rating. Most surface rc electronics are IPX4 at best. Marine stuff is more likely to be IPX7. http://justelation.com/ipx-ratings-described/

That's right!

My company makes bearing seals that are third party certified to IP66 annnnnd IP66K

IP66k must withstand a few minutes of 8 1600psi water jets at 45 degrees without ingress. Kind of impressive lol.

Wow, what about dust/dirt lol

We make different versions, there is one that you apply 15psi air to and it keeps dust and particulate out of bearings as well as water etc.

These are for industrial gearboxes with bearings the size of a dinner plate that cost many thousands of dollars in productivity loss and equipment cost to replace. So the idea is to keep it from failing.
Here's what our air purge IP66 labyrinth seal looks like, and a cut away showing how it works
download.jpeg
LabTecta-air-purge.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back