Granite Waterproof "waterproof" !

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcjmrl46

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Voltage
Hi All,

Any ideas on drastically improving the waterproofing on "waterproof" ESC's, Reciever's, Servos, etc? I have seen some things on the Interweb but it would be good have some information here for Voltage. Thanks in advance.

I've had my GV literally submerged in murky potholes at WOT and had zero damage. So.

When I cracked open my Voltage ESC, it actually had decent waterproofing. If you are worried, you could open up the case and put a few more layers of silicone conformal coating on the parts that are already covered with it. If you don’t feel like opening it up, you can always put silicone caulk or gasket maker over all the seams and holes of the ESC case on the outside. That can be a bit of a pain in a few ways. If you don’t use clear silicone, you won’t be able to see the status LED anymore. Also, you would end up sort of gluing the servo connector into place by smearing silicone all over it while plugged in. Sure, you could still remove it, but you would have to reapply the silicone every time you did. Not a big deal if you don’t ever need to mess with your servo, so maybe that doesn’t matter much.

I’ve heard of folks putting their ESC’s inside balloons or plastic bags, but that is going to make it tough for the ESC to cool off, so I don’t like that idea.

The motor isn’t going to die from getting wet. The bearings may eventually get rusty and fail if the motor gets dunked and doesn’t get dried out and cleaned up afterward, but it isn’t going to short out and fail from getting wet.

When I cracked open my Voltage ESC, it actually had decent waterproofing. If you are worried, you could open up the case and put a few more layers of silicone conformal coating on the parts that are already covered with it. If you don’t feel like opening it up, you can always put silicone caulk or gasket maker over all the seams and holes of the ESC case on the outside. That can be a bit of a pain in a few ways. If you don’t use clear silicone, you won’t be able to see the status LED anymore. Also, you would end up sort of gluing the servo connector into place by smearing silicone all over it while plugged in. Sure, you could still remove it, but you would have to reapply the silicone every time you did. Not a big deal if you don’t ever need to mess with your servo, so maybe that doesn’t matter much.

I’ve heard of folks putting their ESC’s inside balloons or plastic bags, but that is going to make it tough for the ESC to cool off, so I don’t like that idea.

The motor isn’t going to die from getting wet. The bearings may eventually get rusty and fail if the motor gets dunked and doesn’t get dried out and cleaned up afterward, but it isn’t going to short out and fail from getting wet.
Stock motor has brass bushings, no harm there.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back