Weird cutout when full throttle applied too quickly

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rcproponent

RCP
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Nero
Hey everyone.

So I got the final parts for my talion build and I put it out for a test drive and it has a few weird issues..

When you try to take off from a stop at a low rate of throttle there is a lot of cogging or whatever you call it before it starts to go.. unless you give it more then a little throttle then it just takes off.

Another issue it’s having and the main one for starting this thread is a weird power cutout it has if I’m cruising at a low rate of throttle and punch it , it kinda cuts out and does this weird click noise. But if I gradually get on the throttle it doesn’t do the cutout and comes on like a giant turbo.

Car has the max8 combo
2200kv

I have xt90’s on all my arrma’s , batteries I have a few different ones but doesn’t seem to change which batteries I’m using ?

gensacearespammers 50c 4000mah x 2
Lectron pro 50c 5200mah x2
Power hobby 100c 6500c x2

Always run on 6s...

Gearing is 50t/17t

Tires that I was using for the test run were the kraton V3 tires. 3.8’s

I can’t figure this out ?

Any pointers?

Thanks everyone

Last edited:
I'm assuming your running 6S? What lipo's? What connectors? What's your gearing and punch setting?

I noticed with the blx185/2050kv in my outcast (3.8" trenchers, 13T pinion) that when I ran it on 4S (and 15T pinion), setting the punch to 5 was perfect. Was very predictable and just soft enough to not tear itself apart. Then I started running 6S with a 14T pinion, didn't change the punch. It would almost hesitate every time I mashed the throttle up the face of a jump. It was very unpredictable but typically sent me flipping when I didn't expect it, or just stalled, then went full throttle just as the tires left the jump vs at the base of the jump where I punched it.

I cranked the punch up to 8 and the issue went away. Ran hot and switched down to a 13T, but left the punch alone.

I was running HRB5000mah 50C 2x3S and hobbystar 6200mah 50C 2x3S with XT90 connectors when running 6S. When I was running 4S, I was using SMC 7400mah 2S packs with traxxas connectors.

I'm assuming your running 6S? What lipo's? What connectors? What's your gearing and punch setting?

I noticed with the blx185/2050kv in my outcast (3.8" trenchers, 13T pinion) that when I ran it on 4S (and 15T pinion), setting the punch to 5 was perfect. Was very predictable and just soft enough to not tear itself apart. Then I started running 6S with a 14T pinion, didn't change the punch. It would almost hesitate every time I mashed the throttle up the face of a jump. It was very unpredictable but typically sent me flipping when I didn't expect it, or just stalled, then went full throttle just as the tires left the jump vs at the base of the jump where I punched it.

I cranked the punch up to 8 and the issue went away. Ran hot and switched down to a 13T, but left the punch alone.

I was running HRB5000mah 50C 2x3S and hobbystar 6200mah 50C 2x3S with XT90 connectors when running 6S. When I was running 4S, I was using SMC 7400mah 2S packs with traxxas connectors.
Good call, shoulda posted that... ??‍♂️

Car has the max8 combo
2200kv
Punch lvl 5/5

I have xt90’s on all my arrma’s , batteries I have a few different ones but doesn’t seem to change which batteries I’m using ?

gensacearespammers 50c 4000mah x 2
Lectron pro 50c 5200mah x2
Power hobby 100c 6500c x2

Always run on 6s...

Gearing is 50t/17t

Tires that I was using for the test run were the kraton V3 tires. 3.8’s

Turn the punch down or run lighter or smaller diameter tires. Another option is to drop a tooth on the pinion but that clicking noise you’re hearing is the limit of the system you’re running.

Turn the punch down or run lighter or smaller diameter tires. Another option is to drop a tooth on the pinion but that clicking noise you’re hearing is the limit of the system you’re running.
Backflip LP’s in the mail. They are a little smaller. I’ll also tooth down one and see how that is. The wheels seem a little lighter weight too.

Thanks for the ideas, I’ll report back tomorrow after I try em.

Amp limiting is common on the stock ESC. You will need a higher rated A output ESC

This one is running the max8 combo. It’s pretty similar to stock tho for output isn’t it ?
It’s close. It’s a minor difference. I would go with a MAX6 minimum, maybe a MAX5 if you really like HW. But, the MMX8S would be the best choice.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back