Granite Weird Diff Noise

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RC4LIFE2700

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
Hey Arrma Forum, I'm new and this is my first post yay.

Anyways I got my Arrma Granite 4x4 3s BLX 2 month ago and have ran it maybe twice a month since. So today I decided to take a look at the diffs and realized I needed a long skinny 2.0mm hex driver to unscrew the inner part of the driveshaft from the outer diff gear. So I decide to just put some Hob-e-lube white grease on the diff gear without opening it up or anything and called it good. This was with the back, I didnt bother with the front after dealing with the rear. Front is still totally factory. So after around 4 hours of work I finally take it out and I get into a moderately bad crash and when going maybe 35mph my finger slipped and I gradually turned into the curb. My car flies around and settles on its wheels. Then when I gave it throttle I heard a weird noise that I didnt hear before. It wasnt very loud but it sounded like clicking and/or grinding.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance

Remove the Power Module and examine the pinion and spur gear mesh.. You may have bent the motor mount plate when you hit the curb.
If the MM plate is bent, you will see the gears out of alignment and mesh incorrect. Spin the gears by hand to make sure mesh is correct.. If not maybe you can bend the MM plate back into shape. (removing it from the motor etc.) Or just replace it. They just bend easily with hard impacts.
This is my guess at least and an important place to start with any abnormal gear noise.
Refer to your manual and also the Blow up diagram at the Arrma-RC.com website for your exact rig. Part numbers and prices are all there.
This is a big help.
Hopefully others will chime in with their ideas.
:cool:
Welcome to AF.

Okay thanks for the info guys. Checked the motor mount and it seems straight. Gear mesh seems correct. Just the slightest click when rocking the spur back and forth
After checking those things I took it out again and it is still there

Only a few spots it can come from....motor/pinion/spur, input gear......or diffs. You may have busted a tooth on the input gear or a bearing. Can you tell if it coming from the front or rear? Also, might as well just but the long 2mm as you will need it.

What are the conseqences of letting it bust and then fixing it? Will it take out other components? I imagine it would. Im just thinking if im going to throw the part away I might as well completely blow it
Kind of disappointing my car has been on the shelf for weeks and finally fixed it and it broke on first run.

Acually asking if I should continue to run it is a stupid question because the anwer would vary depending on what is failing.

I know what I am going to have to do and I really don't want to. Gonna have to buy a 2.0mm hex tool for the driveshafts and tear the diff apart.

Drive it, till it breaks. IMHO. Buy some tools in the mean time and consider the wrenching aspect of going over the diffs and all.
Practice driving. User error contributes much to broken parts. As you get better, less parts will break.

Drive it, till it breaks. IMHO. Buy some tools in the mean time and consider the wrenching aspect of going over the diffs and all.
Practice driving. User error contributes much to broken parts. As you get better, less parts will break.
Yup! I haven't broken any parts in at least 3 hours!
Just kidding.:ROFLMAO: It's been almost a week now, but i've been driving only in 50% power and sometimes 75%. 100% just makes so things break. I've learned to appreciate the "power" 50% has. It's much eaiser on the wallet, and still fun. Just not as fun.

Acually asking if I should continue to run it is a stupid question because the anwer would vary depending on what is failing.

I know what I am going to have to do and I really don't want to. Gonna have to buy a 2.0mm hex tool for the driveshafts and tear the diff apart.
@RC4LIFE2700 These tools work great and aren't expensive. They are good starting tools, and they fit down the driveshafts. I took apart my new (used and junk so its actually old but its new to me) Senton 3s today with them. If you want super good tools you have to spend like $40-$100.

https://www.amazon.com/HRB-Screwdri...=1&keywords=drone+tools&qid=1615253209&sr=8-2

Yea i have many tools also.:LOL:

20210318_215626.jpg

Did you try running it with the power module out to see how the mesh is while applying throttle? Then put it back and run it with no drive shaft to see if the noise is in the rear. You can at least help isolate the area that way.

@RC4LIFE2700 These tools work great and aren't expensive. They are good starting tools, and they fit down the driveshafts. I took apart my new (used and junk so its actually old but its new to me) Senton 3s today with them. If you want super good tools you have to spend like $40-$100.

https://www.amazon.com/HRB-Screwdri...=1&keywords=drone+tools&qid=1615253209&sr=8-2
Thanks for the recommendation for the tools. I will likely buy those. Very cheap and has all common RC car hex sizes. Also you verified that they fit down the driveshaft. Awesome!

I made the mistake of buying this: https://www.amazon.com/Dynamite-Sta...words=Dynamite+Tools+RC&qid=1616123052&sr=8-1

DO NOT BUY!! The bits are OK but the screwdriver handle is S**t. Internals strip out very easily and then the entire kit is rendered useless because all of the bits are designed for that specific handle.

I made the mistake of buying this: https://www.amazon.com/Dynamite-Sta...words=Dynamite+Tools+RC&qid=1616123052&sr=8-1

DO NOT BUY!! The bits are OK but the screwdriver handle is S**t. Internals strip out very easily and then the entire kit is rendered useless because all of the bits are designed for that specific handle.
Don't worry, I already did buy it. That was my first tool kit. My internals haven't stripped out yet so I keep the 7mm socket on the end for taking off wheel nuts.
Thanks for the recommendation for the tools. I will likely buy those. Very cheap and has all common RC car hex sizes. Also you verified that they fit down the driveshaft. Awesome!
Yes they do fit. I used them to put my drive shafts on last night.

Other than MIP, most of the AMZ stuff is garbage. For the long 2mm outdrives, I went with this. Hudy is akin to MIP in Europe. Excellent fit and ultra precise tips. Believe me, the last thing you want to do is strip out one of the 2mm outdrive screws. Those AMZ specials will do that in a heartbeat

Hudy tool link below. Back ordered now at AMain but maybe you could find the part number in stock somewhere else? Good luck

https://www.amainhobbies.com/hudy-metric-allen-wrench-2.0mm-x-120mm-hud112040/p8359

Other than MIP, most of the AMZ stuff is garbage. For the long 2mm outdrives, I went with this. Hudy is akin to MIP in Europe. Excellent fit and ultra precise tips. Believe me, the last thing you want to do is strip out one of the 2mm outdrive screws. Those AMZ specials will do that in a heartbeat

Hudy tool link below. Back ordered now at AMain but maybe you could find the part number in stock somewhere else? Good luck

https://www.amainhobbies.com/hudy-metric-allen-wrench-2.0mm-x-120mm-hud112040/p8359
Maybe I'll get one of them too once they get back in stock.

Back