Went to the Dark Side

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Raider
  2. Vorteks
Started with an Arrma Raider, added and subtracted Dromidas, added a Vorteks from S&D, added some Redcats, [soon to subtract I hope], now added a Traxxas Rustler.
But this was not the normal addition.
Having done enough mods, repairs et al, I went the unconventional way.
Bought a Rustler Roller, included body, suspension, shocks and gear-box.
Acquired:
  • Rx
  • VXL tie-rods and links
  • Body [painted my first lexan body, yay!]
  • RPM front bumper
Already had:
  • Tx
  • Wheels/tires
  • ESC/Motor, Duratrax-Onyx, 80A/4500kv
  • Pinion gear
  • Servo, Tactic TSX-40 with replaceable metal gears
  • LiPos
Bought the roller and all other parts online on Monday, everything arrived on Thursday/Friday.
Assembled Saturday AM and running in races on Saturday night, yeah baby!

IMG_2916.jpg
IMG_2942.jpg

Tie Rod upgrade:

IMG_2926.jpg

Tie Rods
IMG_2924.jpg

Motor/ESC/pinion

IMG_2931.jpg

Everything else and Voilà!
RUSTLER!!!

IMG_2939.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2932.jpg
    IMG_2932.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2933.jpg
    IMG_2933.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 30
Are those tires Badlands?
When I was running on a loose packed track, the Badlands ruled the finish line.
I discovered on a hard dirt track, the teeny nubs give the best overall traction and control.
Was having a terrible time last night with fishtailing and spin-outs on hard acceleration.
A few mins ago, I finished cleaning out the grease in the diff and packing it tight with some 100K diff oil.
I don't want to lock up the diff completely, need some slip for turns, but hoping this is the tonic for my fishtailing woes.

Do I spy some JConcepts GLocs??? LOVE those tires!!! Perfect slip and grip.
Yesssir, Glocs they are. Great fun on the street. Great warm weather tire, they don't hook up well in colder temps though.

Are those tires Badlands?
When I was running on a loose packed track, the Badlands ruled the finish line.
I discovered on a hard dirt track, the teeny nubs give the best overall traction and control.
Was having a terrible time last night with fishtailing and spin-outs on hard acceleration.
A few mins ago, I finished cleaning out the grease in the diff and packing it tight with some 100K diff oil.
I don't want to lock up the diff completely, need some slip for turns, but hoping this is the tonic for my fishtailing woes.
Yep, 2.8 badlands. Great tire for what I use the Rusty for. Love the looks on the truck. I just bash, mostly grassy areas, some construction sites and jumping the ramp I have with my boys when they have their stampedes out. I throw on the glocs for street/parking lot bashing.
I could see where they wouldn't hook up to well on hard pack with respect to racing or track use.
I would think that 100k would help with your issue?
I've read in the past that some guys weight the front end down a bit to provide more bite to the front tires when turning? May negatively impact the flight in the air though?
I installed the RPM wide arms on the front as well and am running all offset wheels, really stabilized the Rusty when turning at speed.

Last edited:
Yesssir, Glocs they are. Great fun on the street. Great warm weather tire, they don't hook up well in colder temps though.
I run them on my Backslash and plop them on my Truggified Typhon when I feel like terrorizing my neighborhood gocart style. Awesome 6s drifting, just can't flip them.

I run them on my Backslash and plop them on my Truggified Typhon when I feel like terrorizing my neighborhood gocart style. Awesome 6s drifting, just can't flip them.
Yeah, great fun on the powerslides for sure. Very stable at speed. I can see how they would be great on a 4x4, the Typhon or Backslash as you mention.
Hmmmm, maybe I should pick up a Typhon.....

Yeah, great fun on the powerslides for sure. Very stable at speed. I can see how they would be great on a 4x4, the Typhon or Backslash as you mention.
Hmmmm, maybe I should pick up a Typhon.....
The Typhon is crazy fast fun, so versatile too. Handles like a dream!!!

Yeah, looks that way, watched a bunch of vids, including yours on it over the past few months.
When I picked up my Outcast last December I was really going in to get a Kraton, but saw the Outcast and had to get it instead.
Still really want a Kraton so I think it's next in line for purchase, ahead of the Typhon.
But will probably end up with a Typhon as well at some point in the not too distant future.
Just waiting it out a bit till they resolve some of the parts stock issues, etc.

Yeah, looks that way, watched a bunch of vids, including yours on it over the past few months.
When I picked up my Outcast last December I was really going in to get a Kraton, but saw the Outcast and had to get it instead.
Still really want a Kraton so I think it's next in line for purchase, ahead of the Typhon.
But will probably end up with a Typhon as well at some point in the not too distant future.
Just waiting it out a bit till they resolve some of the parts stock issues, etc.
I would definitely get the Kraton Beast for all around, go anywhere, bad ass basher right out of the box. Still love switching between the 3 cuz they all have unique qualities, but the Kraton is a MUST have for me. I jonesed hard like a junkie after using mine to build my son's Outcast. Went less than 3 weeks with it down, but seemed like 3 weeks too long...Lol.

Yep, 2.8 badlands. Great tire for what I use the Rusty for. Love the looks on the truck. I just bash, mostly grassy areas, some construction sites and jumping the ramp I have with my boys when they have their stampedes out. I throw on the glocs for street/parking lot bashing.
I could see where they wouldn't hook up to well on hard pack with respect to racing or track use.
I would think that 100k would help with your issue?
I've read in the past that some guys weight the front end down a bit to provide more bite to the front tires when turning? May negatively impact the flight in the air though?
I installed the RPM wide arms on the front as well and am running all offset wheels, really stabilized the Rusty when turning at speed.

I have some Dirt Hawgs to test the diff and the 100K in a dirt area at the park. Hoping both wheels spin and She moves out straight.
RE the weights in the front, the guys I saw doing that had converted their Rustler to street version; very short shock travel, low profile sponge tires with spray adhesive and the lead tire weights attached to the leading edges of the RC.
My RPM wide arms arrived today but had some obligation tonight preventing me from installing. All is okay though, the "obligation" included wine, so the RPMs will go on tomorrow night.

Upgraded to RPM A-arms, ones in front are the Wide version:

IMG_2968.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2969.jpg
    IMG_2969.jpg
    378.2 KB · Views: 38
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back