What’s a good replacement for ESC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DetroitSlim

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Notorious
  3. Typhon 6s
Was doing some serious bashing Saturday and back flipped into 18 inch deep puddle upside down and fried my Esc on the 6s outcast. I’m kinda at a loss on what to get.

Mamba XLX, Max6 if you want more oomph or the MM2, Max8 if you want something a bit better than stock. I have both the MM2 and Max 8 and both are upgrades from the BLX185.

The stock blx is the easiest. Almost everything else will need soldering done however it's not that hard to do.

I like the max6 but the run about 160.00 usd.

The Redcat hex6 can be had on ebay for 109.00. Free shipping. It's a hobbywing max6.

The stock blx is the easiest. Almost everything else will need soldering done however it's not that hard to do.

The Redcat hex6 can be had on ebay for 109.00. Free shipping. It's a hobbywing max6.
I have a max6 and hex6, only difference is my hex6 is 6s only, the max6 will do 8s. Both working really well so far! ?

I've been happy with my max 6, though it eats fans for some reason. I keep killing them even though they are the same as the blx185 fan and it seems they last longer in that. Have you tried to get your blx185 replaced under warranty, horizon seems pretty good with there warranty, it is meant to be waterproof?

I've been happy with my max 6, though it eats fans for some reason. I keep killing them even though they are the same as the blx185 fan and it seems they last longer in that. Have you tried to get your blx185 replaced under warranty, horizon seems pretty good with there warranty, it is meant to be waterproof?
Their warranty does not cover water damage.

Wow, so how can it say waterproof electronics on the box?

WARRANTY
We know you'll enjoy running your ARRMA product. To guarantee you have the best experience possible we offer a two year warranty covering defects in materials, workmanship and assembly on all of our products.
To ensure you do not invalidate the terms of the warranty, please read and understand the warranty terms and conditions available here.
Click here to download a warranty claim form.

What is Not Covered
This warranty is not transferable and does not cover (i) cosmetic damage, (ii) damage due to acts of God, accident, misuse, abuse,
negligence, commercial use, or due to improper use, installation, operation or maintenance, (iii) modification of or to any part of the
Product, (iv) attempted service by anyone other than a Horizon Hobby authorized service center, (v) Product not purchased from an
authorized Horizon dealer, (vi) Product not compliant with applicable technical regulations, or (vii) use that violates any applicable laws,
rules, or regulations.

Apparently water damage falls under misuse.....

Last edited:
WARRANTY
We know you'll enjoy running your ARRMA product. To guarantee you have the best experience possible we offer a two year warranty covering defects in materials, workmanship and assembly on all of our products.
To ensure you do not invalidate the terms of the warranty, please read and understand the warranty terms and conditions available here.

What is Not Covered
This warranty is not transferable and does not cover (i) cosmetic damage, (ii) damage due to acts of God, accident, misuse, abuse,
negligence, commercial use, or due to improper use, installation, operation or maintenance, (iii) modification of or to any part of the
Product, (iv) attempted service by anyone other than a Horizon Hobby authorized service center, (v) Product not purchased from an
authorized Horizon dealer, (vi) Product not compliant with applicable technical regulations, or (vii) use that violates any applicable laws,
rules, or regulations.

Water entering a water proof item sounds like a defect to me. Give it a good clean with electrical contact cleaner and send it away for assessment?

I sent them a email and horizon hobby said to send it in along with the service request form and they'd look at it to deem if it's covered by their warranty. I guess I could take the ESC off the typhon for now until they get back to me.

Water entering a water proof item sounds like a defect to me. Give it a good clean with electrical contact cleaner and send it away for assessment?
Idk man, I've seen a few guys get denied because they said it got wet.

I left out the part that it failed it's swimming lesson but I'm sure they have a water detecting tape or something in there that'll tell them. Thats why I figured I'd ask what would work the best with the stock motor.

I left out the part that it failed it's swimming lesson but I'm sure they have a water detecting tape or something in there that'll tell them. Thats why I figured I'd ask what would work the best with the stock motor.
I left the part about my receiver box leaking when my receiver took a dump and I sent it in and they never said anything about it.
I don't think they test for water damage, you just don't tell them that it got wet.

If it's clean and doesn't look like you abused it I think they will look after you. The whole thing is covered in a rubberised plastic dip I doubt they have a water sensor in them. Also what would the difference be from driving in grass or snow.
The stock blx185 is actually a good esc just pick one up from a kit dismantler or any of the above options, but a better esc won't really change your life in my opinion.
I sent them a email and horizon hobby said to send it in along with the service request form and they'd look at it to deem if it's covered by their warranty. I guess I could take the ESC off the typhon for now until they get back to me.
Could save you some money for other upgrades, they replaced mine the other week. I was very grateful.

If it's clean and doesn't look like you abused it I think they will look after you. The whole thing is covered in a rubberised plastic dip I doubt they have a water sensor in them. Also what would the difference be from driving in grass or snow.
The stock blx185 is actually a good esc just pick one up from a kit dismantler or any of the above options, but a better esc won't really change your life in my opinion.

Could save you some money for other upgrades, they replaced mine the other week. I was very grateful.
The BLX185 is a decent ready to run esc, the lack of adjustments, the 6v bec and the super low lvc setting are it's weak points for sure.

WARRANTY

What is Not Covered
rules, or regulations.

After reading that you could think that they have a way out under any scenario

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back