What’s a good replacement tire for the hoons?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beefy nugz

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Hoons are $30 for 2. I thought they were cheaper. Maybe I’m wrong. Anyways I just broke two rims drift bashing and need done options for bashing. I’ve got a set of grp s4’s coming for speed runs, maybe a set of grp’s a little harder for drifting to help last longer? They’re $30-40 for a full set.
Thanks

GRP's are usually the go to's. But the way you bash, drifting and all. There will be no difference. Except the cheaper $$.
42/100mm Hoons have been $30/pair since day one. 🤷‍♂️ Stock up on wheels. You seem to eat them quick. They are extremely consumable parts. Just like scale car drifting.
Speed running them exclusively makes them last a dozen packs and more. That's how I fly.
BTW, you want S5 or S7's. (hardest GRP's) The S4's are still on the very soft side. Not for drifting IMHO.
Or the Hoon Silvers. (hardest). Same price as Yellow (soft) and White (medium)

Last edited:
GRP's are usually the go to's. But the way you bash, drifting and all. There will be no difference. Except the cheaper $$.
42/100mm Hoons have been $30/pair since day one. 🤷‍♂️ Stock up on wheels. You seem to eat them quick. They are extremely consumable parts. Just like scale car drifting.
Speed running them exclusively makes them last a dozen packs and more. That's how I fly.
BTW, you want S5 or S7's. (hardest GRP's) The S4's are still on the very soft side. Not for drifting IMHO.
Or the Hoon Silvers. (hardest). Same price as Yellow (soft) and White (medium)
Gotcha. Thanks for the info. I’m sure I’ll be going through tires even faster when I throw the 1717 in there!
I’ve got the v1 and my second set was pretty new when I hit a big crack in the ground drifting side ways and broke 2 rims. Tires are still good.
I got the s4’s for speed runs. I’ll grab some
more grp’s then and go with the hardest compound for bashing.

Yeah cracked rims even though the tires are intact.... They are junk. Maybe good for shelf queen wheels.:LOL:
I remember drifting a rather worn out set of Hoons that were useless for any more speed runs and I tore them apart drifting them and hitting a crack in the asphalt. Took all of a second and the tire exploded once the wheel cracked. But drifting never appealed to me. Many like that fun though. Just gets expensive. The RC YT'ers smoke em for the video affect. Makes it look cool. But not practical for Real RC'ing. Just me.
If you beat on your wheels drifting and all. They are never the best wheels to use for speed runs. They will blow out at high speed, and you will cause much damage to your rig. Blow out at high speed makes the rig lift and go airborne. and hit a car, curb or someone. :( Been there. $100+ in parts needed. All from a blow out. Treat your speed run tires well. Need a dedicated set for both types of running. I only use my worn out speed run tires for drifting, if I even drift at all.

Here in florida I run S7's usually last 2-3 packs w/ my 1650 Max6 combo. I drive like I stole it though.
Run it twice changed front to back and backs to front and they're done...

S7's are the hardest right? Gonna have to buy a few sets... 3 packs is better than 2 🤣

20210704_160942.jpg

The S7s offer more grip than I thought they would once they are warm. They get sticky enough to pick up small rocks from the road. I think there is definitely room for something like an S9 to suit the driving style of most parking lot bashers.

Let's see how these perform compared to the hoons 🙃🤘
View attachment 157301
Careful with the S7s. Make sure they aren’t wavy and warped out of the mold. Most of the ones I received last year were garbage. However my S3 and S1 sets were usually very good. I bought 6 sets of S7 at variable dates and all were junk.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back