What’s everyone’s feelings on RedCat?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everyone. Sounds like Granite it is. Shame that RedCat is still unreliable. Their stuff looks cool. I remember when they released a random 1/5 scale electric short course truck years back. It ran on dual Lipo set up. It was really cool looking but terribly slow and had no parts support. That’s the one thing that made me nervous about the XTE is can’t get parts from everywhere other than RedCat directly.

I picked up their Gen 8 Scout II crawler and like it, good value for money compared to crawlers from Traxxas/Axial. However when it comes to MTs Arrma was hands the best bang for the buck. Redcat MTs are a far cry in terms of the quality/durability so while they may be cheaper you get what you pay for. The new Redcat Kaiju may be their first MT to actually be good but the jury is still out on that one.

What I personally love about the Arrma line is not only the value, but the fact that so many of their rigs have so many cross compatible parts and such a low cost that it makes it easy to upgrade and personalize. Overall Arrma makes the hobby accessible to anyone at any price point.

The new Redcat Kaiju may be their first MT to actually be good but the jury is still out on that one.
If it is any good it’s a steal. 6s, 3 diffs, hw combo, real 17mm hexes, $400...I know I want one.

If it is any good it’s a steal. 6s, 3 diffs, hw combo, real 17mm hexes, $400...I know I want one.

If the plastic is same as the 1/10 dukono and the drive train same as 1/8 HSP, which isn't bad on a Berserker/Sea rover, it can be a good truck for 400$, maybe not as crazy than more expensive one, but good for the price.

I beat the Dukono on concret, with awful landing, i only managed to break the teeth of the motor pinion because there isn't slipper clutch, bent a tie rod and broke a body post.

BSD and HSP 1/10 aren't awful, if you buy them cheap on chinese shop, they are good for the price. But they aren't the cars i would call durable, good for 2s, don't really durable with 3s. The BSD are a little bit above the HSP, because of the drive train, but they don't have slipper clutch, same for HSP.

In Eu you can find spare from Absima and T2M for the BSD chassis. I buy spares for my BSD on monkey hobby.

If the plastic is same as the 1/10 dukono and the drive train same as 1/8 HSP, which isn't bad on a Berserker/Sea rover, it can be a good truck for 400$, maybe not as crazy than more expensive one, but good for the price.

I beat the Dukono on concret, with awful landing, i only managed to break the teeth of the motor pinion because there isn't slipper clutch, bent a tie rod and broke a body post.

BSD and HSP 1/10 aren't awful, if you buy them cheap on chinese shop, they are good for the price. But they aren't the cars i would call durable, good for 2s, don't really durable with 3s. The BSD are a little bit above the HSP, because of the drive train, but they don't have slipper clutch, same for HSP.

In Eu you can find spare from Absima and T2M for the BSD chassis. I buy spares for my BSD on monkey hobby.
What rebrand is it. I thought it was new...I don’t remember seeing anything like it, plastic chassis Mt for 6s. Definitely going after the Arrma 4s and the traxxas maxx.

Imo it is a new HSP chassis. It look very close to the 1/10 Dukono design, which is HSP, but in 1/8.
Not even close...
5807E8CD-9F5E-4197-8DED-471F855906DB.jpeg
CB9929F7-1F13-4362-9D34-886111347870.jpeg

You don't see the similarities? Sure, don't compare a 1/10 to a 1/8, they won't be exactly same, but layout is same, underneath is close, same kind of chassis, same kind of skid plate, same motor, esc, battery position. Redcat doesn't work with many brands, you choose between HSP, BSD and Team magic.

You don't see the similarities? Sure, don't compare a 1/10 to a 1/8, they won't be exactly same, but layout is same, underneath is close, same kind of chassis, same kind of skid plate, same motor, esc, battery position. Redcat doesn't work with many brands, you choose between HSP, BSD and Team magic.
No more similar than every other rc. Bulkhead, towers, arms, everything, electronics placement, geometry, the more I look at it the less it is. They could be two completely different brands.

Redcat is a brand that has always struck me as interesting. I don't think I've even been around such polarized RC folks that either love or hate Redcat. I only own one of the products they make, a "V2" Redcat Shredder. I've put belted Proline's on it and it's a decent rig after the tire replacement and some suspension tweaks, but I've only run it about 3-4 times. It broke a front lower arm off the first "real" jump I sent it off, but the weather was very cold that afternoon. I would say everything about it is just average. For a long wheelbase rig, it does handle somewhat sloppy, but it's still fun to drive. I think the metal chassis and plastics are of decent quality. I found many minor things that need addressed but you get that with many inexpensive RTR's in my experience.

On the other hand, I had a buddy that purchased a Redcat R5 about a year ago. What a disaster that truck was. It came out of the box broken and the chassis buckled on the FIRST run off of some light jumping using skateboard ramps. Not sure if this is true (he moved away) but when he called Redcat, they gave him his money back and took the broken truck back as is. I don't see this rig for sale any longer so that's probably why. I think he paid $800 bucks for it? Yikes.

Redcat seems to be the king of China clones and re-brands. It would be great if they took the years of experience they have had and make some rigs of their own with some bespoke platforms and quality materials.

Anyways...it seems like this might be a decent rig, albeit, the review from RC Driver didn't end well. I can't imagine 6s will do it any favors. I'll wait and see.

Redcat is a brand that has always struck me as interesting. I don't think I've even been around such polarized RC folks that either love or hate Redcat. I only own one of the products they make, a "V2" Redcat Shredder. I've put belted Proline's on it and it's a decent rig after the tire replacement and some suspension tweaks, but I've only run it about 3-4 times. It broke a front lower arm off the first "real" jump I sent it off, but the weather was very cold that afternoon. I would say everything about it is just average. For a long wheelbase rig, it does handle somewhat sloppy, but it's still fun to drive. I think the metal chassis and plastics are of decent quality. I found many minor things that need addressed but you get that with many inexpensive RTR's in my experience.

On the other hand, I had a buddy that purchased a Redcat R5 about a year ago. What a disaster that truck was. It came out of the box broken and the chassis buckled on the FIRST run off of some light jumping using skateboard ramps. Not sure if this is true (he moved away) but when he called Redcat, they gave him his money back and took the broken truck back as is. I don't see this rig for sale any longer so that's probably why. I think he paid $800 bucks for it? Yikes.

Redcat seems to be the king of China clones and re-brands. It would be great if they took the years of experience they have had and make some rigs of their own with some bespoke platforms and quality materials.

Anyways...it seems like this might be a decent rig, albeit, the review from RC Driver didn't end well. I can't imagine 6s will do it any favors. I'll wait and see.
In the RC Driver video, what broke that you felt was the trucks fault? I spoke with him in person and he told me it was 19 degrees and they were bad landings on his part. It may not have ended well but he didn't fault the truck. He also said Redcat had a lot of input in the design of the truck.

In the RC Driver video, what broke that you felt was the trucks fault? I spoke with him in person and he told me it was 19 degrees and they were bad landings on his part. It may not have ended well but he didn't fault the truck. He also said Redcat had a lot of input in the design of the truck.

Upper control arm and front bumper. He did explain why and how. I just had the same experience on the first run of my shredder with the same type of problems. I'm glad they are taking a more active role in the design. I only own a single product from them, but can speak several friends that have had less then stellar experiences. The R5 was just a single instance about a year ago.

That being said, maybe this is a new beginning. Let's see how it goes on 6s.

Upper control arm and front bumper. He did explain why and how. I just had the same experience on the first run of my shredder with the same type of problems. I'm glad they are taking a more active role in the design. I only own a single product from them, but can speak several friends that have had less then stellar experiences. The R5 was just a single instance about a year ago.

That being said, maybe this is a new beginning. Let's see how it goes on 6s.
He said they are really trying. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise ? When I first asked my LHS about carrying Arrma, their only experience with them was the V1 trucks with the fireball ESC's. I had to convince them that they made the proper improvements ? They assumed they were junk.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back