What’s the honest verdict on the 8S Krato v the xmaxx

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magga

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
Looking for a new toy that is hopefully as good as my V4 Notrious 6s and think iI prefers the 8s Kraton over the Xmaxx but not 100% sure what are your thoughts?

Cool video,
Still like the Look of both Trucks and for me The fact I love my Notorious so much is steering me towards the Arrma?

Two totally different trucks. All depends on what you gonna do with it. Kraton probably gonna be more money outta the box to upgrade to the point where you want it. X maxx probably the only traxxas I would consider buying they are tuff

From all the reviews I've seen and from people who own both they all say the XMaxx is VERY durable out the box and more fun (flips, jumps etc..) but I still went for the Kraton, just like the look of it and looks much easier to work on and I don't regret it one bit.

I'm also under the impression that the XMaxx can take more of a beating out of the box. At least that's what I've read. I also hear it's better suited for a skate park than the K8S. It will definitely backflip easier. Handling wise I believe it's like comparing an Arrma Outcast with a Talion. The K8S will rip around a track much better. I own the K8S and for a truck that is as big and heavy as it is, it handles great. And it is really easy to work on. That I can confirm. Good luck with your choice.

At first when the K8S launched I was lurking in here before signing up to the forum. I read LOTS of guys saying "it's not a giant Truggy, it's a 1/5 MT" OR "it's a different beast on a different platform than a Truggy because it's a MT"... Personally to me it's always been a giant Truggy with MT tires on it.. My very first post in here I said that in my build thread. The K8S has been and is still compared to the XMAXX by MANY in here.

Now you read "not comparable" "different truck" "different animal" when something seems to out bash the K8S.. It will be a fun thread to read and hash out if it goes anywhere.

One poster in this thread said totally different trucks (and I agree). It has nothing to do with the XMaxx out bashing the K8S. It has to do with the chassis layout and design differences. HCG vs LCG.

That's cute^ because when it first hit it was a "1/5th scale MT" now it's a totally different truck than another 1/5 scale MT..

So, who's to decipher HOW they are compared? By scale or chassis EDIT: OR price?? Then it will turn into shock towers, then into how long the A-arms are. lol.. :ROFLMAO: :rolleyes:

I see you're still upset with me. Shame.

Arrma does advertise it as a 1/5 scale Monster Truck so there's that. But it really doesn't matter what you call it. The fact remains that is handles differently than the XMaxx because of its low center of gravity. It turns better at speed and it's overall ground handling is better. The XMaxx is better at rotating in the air and pulling wheelies. Do you disagree with anything that I'm saying? Or are you just looking for an argument. Serious question.

That's cute^ because when it first hit it was a "1/5th scale MT" now it's a totally different truck than another 1/5 scale MT..

So, who's to decipher HOW they are compared? By scale or chassis EDIT: OR price?? Then it will turn into shock towers, then into how long the A-arms are. lol.. :ROFLMAO: :rolleyes:

I'm a layman to RC with the K8S being only my 3rd car. Even I can tell it's a giant truggy and marketing by Arrma most likely calls it a MT to compete with potential XMaxx buyers. The only basis both vehicles can be compared on is their scale really. It'd be the same as comparing my Redcat Rampage MT with the Losi 5T which was done a lot back when it released. That being said both have their pros and cons with XMaxx being more 'fun' and durable out the box.

I see you're still upset with me. Shame.

Arrma does advertise it as a 1/5 scale Monster Truck so there's that. But it really doesn't matter what you call it. The fact remains that is handles differently than the XMaxx because of its low center of gravity. It turns better at speed and it's overall ground handling is better. The XMaxx is better at rotating in the air and pulling wheelies. Do you disagree with anything that I'm saying? Or are you just looking for an argument. Serious question.

What would make you think that? I was never upset and I'll still install a 800kv motor in a 1/24 scale.. I don't disagree or agree, I've never driven the MAXX.

Factory's call them 1/5th scale MT's. It does matter what you call it... That's the comparison. EVERYBODY in here would be singing a different tune if that MAXX had a bunch of broken parts at the end and the K8 didn't. Everyone would be like OH YEAH SEE!! Arrma tough MT!! lol... :rolleyes:

Again, who's in charge of how these comparisons should be?

Scale
Chassis? never heard of that.
Center of gravity? never heard of that.

I'm a layman to RC with the K8S being only my 3rd car. Even I can tell it's a giant truggy and marketing by Arrma most likely calls it a MT to compete with potential XMaxx buyers. The only basis both vehicles can be compared on is their scale really. It'd be the same as comparing my Redcat Rampage MT with the Losi 5T which was done a lot back when it released. That being said both have their pros and cons with XMaxx being more 'fun' and durable out the box.

Both factories called them differently. One was called a MT the other was a SCT. Not really interested in what some people compared them too. They were mistaken if they did.

Looking for a new toy that is hopefully as good as my V4 Notrious 6s and think iI prefers the 8s Kraton over the Xmaxx but not 100% sure what are your thoughts?
The problem with this question is that nobody can decide what you will prefer, hence all the discussions start again about pro's and cons.
Some will prefer the K8S, some the X-Maxx.

You really have to drive these rigs to find out what you prefer most and even then it's still hard.

If you can't, buy the one you are attracted to most and suits your liking.
If you like speed and handling, get the K8S, if you like throwing around your rc, get the X-Maxx (due to lower weight it's more nimble).
If you think the KS8 looks better, just go get it!

You really can't go wrong with either of them.

What would make you think that? I was never upset and I'll still install a 800kv motor in a 1/24 scale.. I don't disagree or agree, I've never driven the MAXX.

Factory's call them 1/5th scale MT's. It does matter what you call it... That's the comparison. EVERYBODY in here would be singing a different tune if that MAXX had a bunch of broken parts at the end and the K8 didn't. Everyone would be like OH YEAH SEE!! Arrma tough MT!! lol... :rolleyes:

Again, who's in charge of how these comparisons should be?

Scale
Chassis? never heard of that.
Center of gravity? never heard of that.

Both factories called them differently. One was called a MT the other was a SCT. Not really interested in what some people compared them too. They were mistaken if they did.
You can compare any two trucks if you want. No one is stopping you or anyone else. @Outcastblxnut said they were very different trucks and it's hard to disagree. The XMaxx has a plastic HCG chassis. The K8S has an aluminum LCG chassis. The K8S has a longer wheelbase. The K8S has a ride height of 2.56 inches. The XMaxx is 4 inches. The K8S is wider by 2 inches. The overall height of the XMaxx is 13.79 inches versus the K8S at 10.47 inches. Am I doing ok so far? The dry weight of the K8S is 24lbs, 4oz. I'm not sure about the XMaxx weight, but it's significantly lighter.

So it's pretty clear that they are shaped differently. That doesn't mean you can't compare them and the general consensus when you compare them is that they are set up to do different things. The K8S excels at handling and stability. The shorter wheelbase, lighter XMaxx excels at stunts and wheelies. The K8S is easier to jump farther and more level than the XMaxx. Out of the box they are the same speed. The XMaxx is more of a true monster truck with its shorter wheelbase and higher center if gravity. The Kraton feels more like a giant truggy with oversized wheels, just like its 6S little brother (which Arrma labels a monster truggy).

So I think I covered everything. I even said in an earlier post that the XMaxx is more durable stock vs. stock. If there is anything you disagree with in this post, please feel free to point it out. Have a great day ???

Now my turn to ad as I have both . I have owned my Xmaxx for over 2 1/2 years now ,( bought it before I even knew what Arrma was ) and in that time the batteries are still working like day one ( I always storage charge after use ) , and the only broken items have been front bumper bracket , and lost a rear wheel bearing . Very durable truck , handles better than you would think for a MT . Would never get rid of it and glad I have it !!
Got the K8S in Dec right when it hit my LHS , also very fun to drive , put a 23t pinion in to make it faster, thats it . Broke front upper hinge pin , bent front right driveshaft on bad landing ( remove/straighten/put back it ) , and broke left rear arm on a not so high jump which shocked me . No big deal thats part of RC'ing . When I do this certain jump at a golf course near me , the Kraton flies farther and better than the Xmaxx . Very happy to own this one to .
What the Xmaxx does better for me vs. the K8S ,..... it lasts a stupid long time on the batteries . Where the K8S maybe will go 25 min , the Xmaxx goes like 45-50 min !! You're driving and are thinking any minute now for LVC , and no , keeps going .
It is to bad that there are not test drives for these so you can see what you like better to make your choice .

Now my turn to ad as I have both . I have owned my Xmaxx for over 2 1/2 years now ,( bought it before I even knew what Arrma was ) and in that time the batteries are still working like day one ( I always storage charge after use ) , and the only broken items have been front bumper bracket , and lost a rear wheel bearing . Very durable truck , handles better than you would think for a MT . Would never get rid of it and glad I have it !!
Got the K8S in Dec right when it hit my LHS , also very fun to drive , put a 23t pinion in to make it faster, thats it . Broke front upper hinge pin , bent front right driveshaft on bad landing ( remove/straighten/put back it ) , and broke left rear arm on a not so high jump which shocked me . No big deal thats part of RC'ing . When I do this certain jump at a golf course near me , the Kraton flies farther and better than the Xmaxx . Very happy to own this one to .
What the Xmaxx does better for me vs. the K8S ,..... it lasts a stupid long time on the batteries . Where the K8S maybe will go 25 min , the Xmaxx goes like 45-50 min !! You're driving and are thinking any minute now for LVC , and no , keeps going .
It is to bad that there are not test drives for these so you can see what you like better to make your choice .

1 question, what batteries are you using? lol

The Xmaxx has the Traxxas 4s 6700mah 25c
The K8S I have 2 sets , 4s New Wave 8000mah 100c , and 4s Powerhobby 7200mah 60c .

Well I’m no help.......
23206EC6-8343-4DA3-A3E1-1B18F2B04CE8.jpeg
F208A7FE-EB27-4B4F-BD42-3A44CF497674.jpeg

Xmaxx is definitely sweet truck. I had my 8s for 3 months and never broke anything. Had to sell it to pay for my move .

I would love to buy the new Rock and roll model . I think it looks fantastic.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back