What’s the honest verdict on the 8S Krato v the xmaxx

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can compare any two trucks if you want. No one is stopping you or anyone else. @Outcastblxnut said they were very different trucks and it's hard to disagree. The XMaxx has a plastic HCG chassis. The K8S has an aluminum LCG chassis. The K8S has a longer wheelbase. The K8S has a ride height of 2.56 inches. The XMaxx is 4 inches. The K8S is wider by 2 inches. The overall height of the XMaxx is 13.79 inches versus the K8S at 10.47 inches. Am I doing ok so far? The dry weight of the K8S is 24lbs, 4oz. I'm not sure about the XMaxx weight, but it's significantly lighter.

So it's pretty clear that they are shaped differently. That doesn't mean you can't compare them and the general consensus when you compare them is that they are set up to do different things. The K8S excels at handling and stability. The shorter wheelbase, lighter XMaxx excels at stunts and wheelies. The K8S is easier to jump farther and more level than the XMaxx. Out of the box they are the same speed. The XMaxx is more of a true monster truck with its shorter wheelbase and higher center if gravity. The Kraton feels more like a giant truggy with oversized wheels, just like its 6S little brother (which Arrma labels a monster truggy).

So I think I covered everything. I even said in an earlier post that the XMaxx is more durable stock vs. stock. If there is anything you disagree with in this post, please feel free to point it out. Have a great day ???

You can compare a stick to a rock,I don't really care. End of the day, 1/5 scale traxxas MT lives on, 1/5 scale arrma MT BROKEN!

I'm done arguing with you on this thread..

You can compare a stick to a rock,I don't really care. End of the day, 1/5 scale traxxas MT lives on, 1/5 scale arrma MT BROKEN!

I'm done arguing with you on this thread..
You broke your dyno queen?

Been broke, fixed, shelfed behind glass after a pinnacle wax. I was referring to the 1/5th arrma MT getting skunked and showed up by a 1/5th MT Traxxsucks. Sad day..
You are as transparent as glass ?

I have also been eyeing both trucks. One thing I consider is spare parts. On a cursory glance, X-Maxx parts seem considerably cheaper. And of course Traxxas has a pretty tight hold on most of the local shops, at least around these parts. So easier availability, at least for me.

It's just that I don't really want to give them my money.

I have also been eyeing both trucks. One thing I consider is spare parts. On a cursory glance, X-Maxx parts seem considerably cheaper. And of course Traxxas has a pretty tight hold on most of the local shops, at least around these parts. So easier availability, at least for me.

It's just that I don't really want to give them my money.
That the problem I have. An XMaxx would be a nice addition to my collection because I don't own a true large scale MT. But I just can't bring myself to buy one of their products.

That the problem I have. An XMaxx would be a nice addition to my collection because I don't own a true large scale MT. But I just can't bring myself to buy one of their products.

What's the reasoning behind this?

You are as transparent as glass ?

Not really..

A guy can go open a 1/5 traxxsucks box, slap a couple batteries into it and bash the :poop: out of it and it still runs the next day with 0 spent.. I run, you run, everybody runs the 8s and :poop: breaks.. Even "upgraded".. Not to mention, that 8s in that vid had the MX8 sensored set up and it still got slapped. Ohh, it spun a trip, whoopty doo... Guys like yourself (who most likely know better but will never admit it) defend the 8s like its the fuggin Holy Grail, Dali Lama of 1/5 RC is a joke... Xmaxx one tire land, bash on! K8s one tire land, busted arm.. It's almost like you need to justify your money spent. "it's a different truck, different animal ETC..

End of the day, guy wants a big 1/5th scale MT truck that can actually take a beating, its looking more like the traxxsucks that can provide. For me, that's based off of threads read, vids on tube and just general :poop: guys are saying because I don't own a Maxx.

And there it is. Afraid of the crow you might have to eat? Go buy one and don't post about it then.. :ROFLMAO: I might but I'll post.

Not really..

A guy can go open a 1/5 traxxsucks box, slap a couple batteries into it and bash the :poop: out of it and it still runs the next day with 0 spent.. I run, you run, everybody runs the 8s and :poop: breaks.. Even "upgraded".. Not to mention, that 8s in that vid had the MX8 sensored set up and it still got slapped. Ohh, it spun a trip, whoopty doo... Guys like yourself (who most likely know better but will never admit it) defend the 8s like its the fuggin Holy Grail, Dali Lama of 1/5 RC is a joke... Xmaxx one tire land, bash on! K8s one tire land, busted arm.. It's almost like you need to justify your money spent. "it's a different truck, different animal ETC..

End of the day, guy wants a big 1/5th scale MT truck that can actually take a beating, its looking more like the traxxsucks that can provide. For me, that's based off of threads read, vids on tube and just general :poop: guys are saying because I don't own a Maxx.

And there it is. Afraid of the crow you might have to eat? Go buy one and don't post about it then.. :ROFLMAO: I might but I'll post.

I won't buy Traxxas because of their past business practices. It's an ethics thing. I'm not afraid the truck will be good. I've seen and read enough to know what it does and how well it does it. I never said the XMaxx was bad or that the Kraton was better. No crow to eat, pops.

As far as my experience with the K8S and durability, I've had a very positive experience. Every time I run it I put it on video. In the last 3 months all I've broken (that I can remember) is 2 wing mounts, some wheels and an A-arm when I drove it full speed into a wall of dirt. @Outcastblxnut was with me for a lot of my recent sessions and he can tell you K8S has been rock solid. Or you can go watch any of my NC bashing videos. If you're having durability issues maybe it's the power system and added weight you chose to put in yours ?‍♂️

I'm also under the impression that the XMaxx can take more of a beating out of the box. At least that's what I've read. I also hear it's better suited for a skate park than the K8S. It will definitely backflip easier. Handling wise I believe it's like comparing an Arrma Outcast with a Talion. The K8S will rip around a track much better. I own the K8S and for a truck that is as big and heavy as it is, it handles great. And it is really easy to work on. That I can confirm. Good luck with your choice.
I'll take this as an entry point - full disclosure I bought the K8S - first batch - upgraded to M2C, basher upgrades and what not, different pinion etc

first thing that comes to mind: the Kraton 8S compared to the X-Maxx its not a Monster Truck it is s a huge someTruggy - they handle completely differently

when it comes to speed - they are pretty much the same out of the box - both feel less punchy than others (eg 6S) while the X-maxx wheelies out of the box with the right packs

I had to replace a few things on my X-maxx already and thats where it shines as the spares are cheap a chips compared to the Kraton 8S

after owning both and having run both in almost equal times I think the X-maxx is the more forgiving, cheaper, monster truck type of model while the 8S Kraton is nice and is especially awesome and handles perfectly on flat surface when you upgrade it its really heavy - its amazing when I load both in my car the sheer difference in weight ...

telemetry wise I think the K8S has it - seems more reliable and true compared to the Xmax 2.0 upgrade that includes the gps

AVC - TSM I don't think there is much in it - self rightening however worked plenty of times for me already

stock electronics I think are pretty similar while I think the K8S is slightly better equipped than the xmaxx

the xmaxx though being mostly plastic feels tough and rigid or bends where necessary while the K8S may have its faults (maybe even be intended)

tires - the K8S feel better - the Xmaxx feel too soft for my liking still due to over stress them though

transmitter - the TQi system though being plastic feels a bit more comfortable in large hands compared to the DX2E active but no rubber

Xmaxx battery holder system is nice and convenient - much easier than the K8S straps - TRX/TRX ID on the other side .... but I made up a EC5-TRX ID connector so that helps

I had similar amount of tumbles/cartwheels with both I'd say and still haven't replaced any parts on the Xmaxx

the pinion on the Xmaxx however sheered off and I have installed the included speed spur to wake the Xmaxx up a little so running 18/46

stock body on the Xmaxx feels more flimsy than the K8S

working on the Xmaxx eg getting to the center diff surely includes a lot more work than on the K8S, or changing the servo (forgot I replaced that one with the X version)

plastic has more room to strip the parts while screwing into them so electronic screwdrivers can be a miss even with low torque setting on the Xmaxx

higher stance and COG of the Xmaxx feels about right, rolled it twice though but I personally prefer the MT look over the truggy look and feel of the K8S

I think both have their rights to exist and especially don't fight for the same market space I'd say except for their marketing

the Xmaxx handles more like and is the size of a MT version of the Mojave so not really comparable to the Kraton 8S from my perspective

for me in the UK being able to directly reach out to Traxxas support for help/information is a plus (usually responded to the same day from my experience - via email only so far) and spares and upgrades are plentiful due to the long existence of the platform is a clear benefit

its really a chose your poison game but I think at this stage the Xmaxx is cheaper to run

I'll run stock electronics until they'll fail - btw did I mention that the lifetime warranty does transfer with any proof of purchase with traxxas? which I also consider a plus ....

Last edited:
I'll take this as an entry point - full disclosure I bought the K8S - first batch - upgraded to M2C, basher upgrades and what not, different pinion etc

first thing that comes to mind: the Kraton 8S compared to the X-Maxx its not a Monster Truck it is s a huge someTruggy - they handle completely differently

when it comes to speed - they are pretty much the same out of the box - both feel less punchy than others (eg 6S) while the X-maxx wheelies out of the box with the right packs

I had to replace a few things on my X-maxx already and thats where it shines as the spares are cheap a chips compared to the Kraton 8S

after owning both and having run both in almost equal times I think the X-maxx is the more forgiving, cheaper, monster truck type of model while the 8S Kraton is nice and is especially awesome and handles perfectly on flat surface when you upgrade it its really heavy - its amazing when I load both in my car the sheer difference in weight ...

telemetry wise I think the K8S has it - seems more reliable and true compared to the Xmax 2.0 upgrade that includes the gps

AVC - TMS I don't think there is much in it - self rightening however worked plenty of times for me already

stock electronics I think are pretty similar while I think the K8S is slightly better equipped than the xmaxx

the xmaxx though being mostly plastic feels tough and rigid or bends where necessary while the K8S may have its faults (maybe even be intended)

tires - the K8S feel better - the Xmaxx feel too soft for my liking still due to over stress them though

transmitter - the TQi system though being plastic feels a bit more comfortable in large hands compared to the DX2E active but no rubber

Xmaxx battery holder system is nice and convenient - much easier than the K8S straps - TRX/TRX ID on the other side .... but I made up a EC5-TRX ID connector so that helps

I had similar amount of tumbles/cartwheels with both I'd say and still haven't replaced any parts on the Xmaxx

the pinion on the Xmaxx however sheered off and I have installed the included speed spur to wake the Xmaxx up a little so running 18/46

stock body on the Xmaxx feels more flimsy than the K8S

working on the Xmaxx eg getting to the center diff surely includes a lot more work than on the K8S, or changing the servo (forgot I replaced that one with the X version)

plastic has more room to strip the parts while screwing into them so electronic screwdrivers can be a miss even with low torque setting on the Xmaxx

higher stance and COG of the Xmaxx feels about right, rolled it twice though but I personally prefer the MT look over the truggy look and feel of the K8S

I think both have their rights to exist and especially don't fight for the same market space I'd say except for their marketing

the Xmaxx handles more like and is the size of a MT version of the Mojave so not really comparable to the Kraton 8S from my perspective

for me in the UK being able to directly reach out to Traxxas support for help/information is a plus (usually responded to the same day from my perspective - via email only so far) and spares and upgrades are plentiful due to the long existence of the platform is a clear benefit

its really a chose your poison game but I think at this stage the Xmaxx is cheaper to run

I'll run stock electronics until they'll fail - btw did I mention that the lifetime warranty does transfer with any proof of purchase with traxxas? which I also consider a plus ....

Did you get your upgrade parts for £25 for the Kraton?

Did you get your upgrade parts for £25 for the Kraton?
I did not - I spent ~£80 on the upgrades if I recall correctly as the kit wasnt available when I did upgrade

while I was initially upset about it I didnt care in the end - I spent ~£130 for the GPS/telemetry upgrade on the Xmaxx while the Traxxas one was even dearer initially

I did not - I spent ~£80 on the upgrades if I recall correctly as the kit wasnt available when I did upgrade

while I was initially upset about it I didnt care in the end - I spent ~£130 for the GPS/telemetry upgrade on the Xmaxx while the Traxxas one was even dearer initially

Oh right, when did you upgrade? I bought my 8s earlier this month and the parts weren't out then.

The arrma Kraton is not a monster truck it's a truggy, monster trucks comes with a transfer case not a standard center diff I've been in the hobby for 10 years and I don't know how people continue to think that it's a monster truck, for example the hpi savage has a transfer case the e-revo has a transfer case(cush drive) also the xmaxx the hobao hyper mt plus 2 has a transfer case these are monster trucks the kraton is not a monster truck it has a standard truggy, buggy layout front center and rear diff no rc can be considered a true monster truck without a transfer case I like the kraton I have plenty arrmas but nothing they make is a true monster truck

The arrma Kraton is not a monster truck it's a truggy, monster trucks comes with a transfer case not a standard center diff I've been in the hobby for 10 years and I don't know how people continue to think that it's a monster truck,
www.arrma-rc.com
1590365245493.png

Oh right, when did you upgrade? I bought my 8s earlier this month and the parts weren't out then.
I ordered the parts on March 13, after being told there may be a chance of the $25 kit becoming available but not before end of May and no price guarantee being made from HH to my LHS - I paid £79.83 including shipping ...

The arrma Kraton is not a monster truck it's a truggy, monster trucks comes with a transfer case not a standard center diff I've been in the hobby for 10 years and I don't know how people continue to think that it's a monster truck, for example the hpi savage has a transfer case the e-revo has a transfer case(cush drive) also the xmaxx the hobao hyper mt plus 2 has a transfer case these are monster trucks the kraton is not a monster truck it has a standard truggy, buggy layout front center and rear diff no rc can be considered a true monster truck without a transfer case I like the kraton I have plenty arrmas but nothing they make is a true monster truck
What part exactly is the transfer case on the xmaxx? It has a center diff just like the kraton 8s, and it also has a gear reducing transmission like the kraton 8s.

I had that same problem but still wanted one.
Bought a new roller from a kit breaker and threw only aftermarket non-Traxxas parts on it (tires, body, electronics, gears, etc)
It was just below the acceptance line this way.
And man, i don't regret it....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back